Official Start Of August Practice

Dodge2007

Does anyone have a clue of the official date of August practices. First I heard it was Aug. 5 but then it was changed and to be anounced at a later date........anyone know for sure??????????

I heard it wouldn't start until Meager could get the Bible rewritten to read..."and on the 7th day God started at North Texas, relegating Woody Wilson to the bench."

Does anyone have a clue of the official date of August practices. First I heard it was Aug. 5 but then it was changed and to be anounced at a later date........anyone know for sure??????????

My guess is the Kickoff Cookout will kick things off.

I heard it wouldn't start until Meager could get the Bible rewritten to read..."and on the 7th day God started at North Texas, relegating Woody Wilson to the bench."

Sorry Emmitt, your home boy WOODROW is not going to get a sniff.....The one play wonder doesn't fit in the big Dodge pickup. You ought to know that...........your the freakin sheriff in town. Hey EMMITT kiss my "woody."

Sorry Emmitt, your home boy WOODROW is not going to get a sniff.....The one play wonder doesn't fit in the big Dodge pickup. You ought to know that...........your the freakin sheriff in town. Hey EMMITT kiss my "woody."

Coaches telling fans to "kiss my woody"? That's got to be some kind of NCAA violation.

Both emmitt01 and Dodge2007 are speaking out of their ASS and it's impossible to understand. I think they're both talking about who starts at quarterback, Woody or Daniel Meager? That, as well as a lot more will be decided on the field in a couple of weeks.

emmitt, why so sensitive regarding Dodge2007's posts. Here are the facts we know since Dodge arrived:

1. Dodge stated that the QB battle would be won by whoever performs the best.

2. Dodge clearly stated that Meager was ahead of the competition coming out of Spring ball.

3. Woody barely participated in Spring ball due to his class schedule.

4. Dodge signed Vizza by telling him he would be given every opportunity to start.

5. Has Dodge said anything positive about Woody's quarterbacking abilities?

Seems to me that your issue with this goes beyond ability.

emmitt, why so sensitive regarding Dodge2007's posts. Here are the facts we know since Dodge arrived:

2. Dodge clearly stated that Meager was ahead of the competition coming out of Spring ball.

4. Dodge signed Vizza by telling him he would be given every opportunity to start.

Amen to you brother UNTLifer. Your right on the money.

Word out of the AD's office is that Practice starts Aug. 6 at 3:30...........ITS SHOWTIME !!!!!

Good to see Dionne Warwick isn't the only one with a psychic friend.

In all seriousness, my issue with this goes to outrageous and outlandish posts stating that "Woody had better get used to the bench" or "Meager will lead us to new heights" when in fact NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, in Meager's past states that he can perform when the lights come on. (Oh yeah, and the guy who's touting Meager's greatness just happens to have a grand total of 102 posts lifetime) Sure, he was the leader coming out of the spring but you yourself just said that Woody didn't get to participate because of class...might that be WHY Meager is ahead right now? Last I checked the only quarterback currently on this roster to take over a game himself had the initials WW, and the only QB on this roster to ever lead a touchdown drive against UT has the initials WW, and the quarterback with the highest completion percentage last season has the initials WW. So, come to think of it, maybe my issue has EVERYTHING to do with ability. ;)

Emmitt.............you sure are touchy when it comes to Woodrow. Your hanging your hat on two plays and some athletic ability. Have you ever watched WW throw the ball at practice for an hour or so? If you think Dodge is going to put WW, a senior at that, on the field in his system with those throwing mechanics, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING YOURSELF.

WW is an athlete, one damn good athlete. Dodge is looking for accuracy (that is his number one deal) and number two, Dodge his looking for no a QB who can adjust on the fly in a no huddle-high tempo offense.

We only have only QB who has been in that type of system and who has what Dodge is looking for. Unfortunately, his is a freshman.

Like I said in a previous post. If the Italian Stallion starts.........Dodge has big balls and that is why we hired a guy like TD. I have only such a few posts because quite frankly, Dodge has taken over. I like Dodge but I am also REAL when he does well but will call him out when I believe he doesn't. I call it like I see it. I see both sides and play no favoritsm.

Emmitt, honestly, I hope your right about Woody, if he can lead the team, throw with accuracy, and handle the no huddle system, he is our man.

Dodge has made me come back to UNT football. But that does not make Dodge untouchable with my comments.

Emmitt.............you sure are touchy when it comes to Woodrow. Your hanging your hat on two plays and some athletic ability. Have you ever watched WW throw the ball at practice for an hour or so? If you think Dodge is going to put WW, a senior at that, on the field in his system with those throwing mechanics, YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING YOURSELF.

WW is an athlete, one damn good athlete. Dodge is looking for accuracy (that is his number one deal) and number two, Dodge his looking for no a QB who can adjust on the fly in a no huddle-high tempo offense.

We only have only QB who has been in that type of system and who has what Dodge is looking for. Unfortunately, his is a freshman.

Like I said in a previous post. If the Italian Stallion starts.........Dodge has big balls and that is why we hired a guy like TD. I have only such a few posts because quite frankly, Dodge has taken over. I like Dodge but I am also REAL when he does well but will call him out when I believe he doesn't. I call it like I see it. I see both sides and play no favoritsm.

Emmitt, honestly, I hope your right about Woody, if he can lead the team, throw with accuracy, and handle the no huddle system, he is our man.

Dodge has made me come back to UNT football. But that does not make Dodge untouchable with my comments.

More counter-argument for you, sir. Just for fun, because I'm accepting the fact that this argument will never be settled:

WW is one damn good athlete, yes. Dodge is looking for accuracy, yes BUT, in more general terms (and I think Dodge will agree), we want a QB that is moving the chains forward consistently. Mechanics and accuracy sure look pretty and can be related to scoring, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're getting first downs and getting into the endzone. There's what we call intangibles. I know you've heard of them.

Dodge clearly stated that Maeger was the man in the spring, but that went only as far as naming him the starter for the spring game. WW missed a lot of spring because of classes, and still managed to lead a very impressive scoring drive in the spring game. I'll give you this: it was a result of his pure athletic ability, and not because of the pass. Ultimately, WHO CARES. He scored. A play on an old cliche: "I wasn't aware they asked you how you got there when you crossed the goal line."

Meager was definitely the more polished passer in the spring game. But, as stated before, his success in the spring game were due in large part to two long scoring plays because of lack of help from the safety or just an unfinished tackle. TWO plays.

Let's see what Dodge can do with WW's mechanics and reads. I'm excited and hopeful for the best. He could be dynamite under center.

tag, you're it.

Since I have been "tagged" I guess I must volley back over the net.

Like I said previously, if WW can become all that Dodge is looking for then He might be the guy. Being a great athlete is not an intangible I look for in a QB. It is important but not everything.

Intangibles are work ethic, heart, leadership, respectablity, and having your players break their back for you. QB intangibles are all those mentioned plus putting time into film sesssions, passion for the game, first one on the field and the last to leave. QB's must eat and breath football. How could WW schedule classes during spring ball with a new coach and a new system. The athletic dept. could have changed his schedule or there is a thing called summer school.

WW missing spring to me killed his credibility with TD. Using one of my favorite lines from Coach Hawkins.........."This is Div. 1 football, this is the Big 12,..................go play intramurals." There is NO excuse for missing spring ball, zero........unless your hurt.

Edited by Dodge2007

OK, I'll jump in. IMHO, WW under pressure in the pocket is a "pull it down and run first guy, pass second" while I believe Meager is more "pass first, run second". Meager will run, but is not as swift afoot as WW and does exit stage-left when needed vs WW turning back to the center of the field and taking hits.

Dodge is VERY big on looking for accuracy. He has practice passing skills tests set up for different depth passes to targets on command. WW has athletic talent, but passing is not his highlight and in this offense it must be. I see Meager as starter unless Vizza is a better passer in action situations, otherwise Meager wins starter based on experience.

(Oh yeah, and the guy who's touting Meager's greatness just happens to have a grand total of 102 posts lifetime)

This whole thread should have stopped at this statement. We all know that unless you have 423 posts you are not entitled to your own opinion and nothing you say is relevant or worthy of stating...............oops disregard this statement :unsure:

This whole thread should have stopped at this statement. We all know that unless you have 423 posts you are not entitled to your own opinion and nothing you say is relevant or worthy of stating...............oops disregard this statement :unsure:

Or, in the case of most of us, we just disregard the post total altogether when we see the name Daddy Dumpsalot. That's enough for me to decide that nothing in said post will be relevant or worthy of stating.

Intangibles are work ethic, heart, leadership, respectablity, and having your players break their back for you. QB intangibles are all those mentioned plus putting time into film sesssions, passion for the game, first one on the field and the last to leave. QB's must eat and breath football. How could WW schedule classes during spring ball with a new coach and a new system. The athletic dept. could have changed his schedule or this a thing called summer school.

Is WW not any of those traits you've listed? To take it a step further, we've all seen that kid who doesn't have the best arm or the fastest legs. He just gets it done on the field. WW is one of the few QBs in our rotation who has claimed to have just "got it done" based on his ability, and not necessarily the failure of a couple of defensive plays. I don't know who's putting in more time in the film room, but my guess is that they are all pretty equal. Maybe you know more about that than the rest of us.

I also think it's completely out of line to hold his classes against him. For all we know, this could have had future eligibility implications. I wonder if he had tried to have this worked out in favor of spring ball and a professor or department wouldn't give?

To state the obvious, he's a student-athlete and not an athlete-student.

I have to step back for a sec and reiterate that I'm not anti-Meager. I'll definitely love whoever is running the show this year. But can't I be just a little sad if we never really see WW's arm develop?

As of now, all indications seem to say that it's Meager or Vizza going into the fall. I just hope we can at least see WW in maybe a Slasher-type roll, not just relegated to play WR. He's so fun to watch! And I can't wait to see Vizza. He sounds like the best "I refuse to lose" QB we've had since Hall.

Not to hijack (er, wait. already done :o ), but what if Meager/WW win this job and Vizza is redshirted only to be beat out by Riley next season? The idea of Vizza never actually getting a start while @ UNT? yikes.