Mean Green Unveils Spread Offense

UNTflyer

If change in the football culture at North Texas was already in the air, then Sunday's annual spring game rendered the Mean Green unrecognizable.

Starting with the attendance -- the 5,194 fans are believed to be an all-time spring record -- UNT looked as overhauled as a used carburetor.

The most stunning development: Four UNT quarterbacks threw for a combined 406 yards, led by starter Daniel Meager's 233 yards and three touchdowns.

UNT scored twice more on the ground with short runs by running back Jamario Thomas and quarterback Woody Wilson.

Meager (8-for-16, 233 yards) finished a productive spring with the best grasp of UNT's new spread offense and should enter camp in August as the quarterback to beat.

"We got to paint a picture for our fans of how things work," UNT coach Todd Dodge said.

"It's nice that after 15 practices, we're all speaking the same language."

Meager threw touchdown passes of 72 and 85 yards to Casey Fitzgerald, and Wilson's scoring run capped a 67-yard drive.

Scott Hall was the last UNT quarterback to throw for 200 yards in a game, with 285 against Middle Tennessee in 2004, a span of 31 games.

Walk-on for long?

Receiver Casey Fitzgerald played on former coach Darrell Dickey's "Green Team," an offense of walk-ons and scout teamers used late last season when nothing else worked, offensively.

After Sunday, Fitzgerald figures difficult to beat out at starting outside receiver next season.

Walk-ons who earn scholarships usually receive them in August, and Fitzgerald figures to be one of them.

"If it happens, that would be great, but I can't be worrying about it," he said.

"This offense has really helped me out. I want to keep moving ahead."

Nearly mistake-free

Punter Truman Spencer kicked in a game-like environment for the first time this spring. He had eight punts, kicking one into the wind straight up.

His other seven tries averaged 43.3 yards. Spencer's best three punts were 49, 48 and 45 yards.

"He's special," Dodge said. "We're glad we have him."

http://www.star-telegram.com/288/story/77995.html

Scott Hall was the last UNT quarterback to throw for 200 yards in a game, with 285 against Middle Tennessee in 2004, a span of 31 games.

I believe Phillips came in a game or two spelling Meager two seasons ago in which he threw over 200 yards. What was his stats in the away Florida Int? or FAU game 2 years ago?

Receiver Casey Fitzgerald played on former coach Darrell Dickey's "Green Team," an offense of walk-ons and scout teamers used late last season when nothing else worked, offensively.

I had almost forgot Dickey's offense got to the point where he tried that. They actually played very well, but that showed me the end was near for DD's offensive system.