A Few Notes From Today's Practice

I spent about an hour at the practice today.

Here are a few notes:

1) Coach Dodge and staff are holding a coaches clinic for high school coaches (tonight and tomorrow). There were probably 100 h.s. coaches watching practice.

2) Only three QBs I saw today were: Meager, Tune and Phillips. I didn't see Woody. (He may have had class or something; or he may have been on another field.)

Tune and Meager both looked great in the drills that I saw. Meager looked especially good.

3) Evan Fentriss looks great. Too bad he has to sit out a year. He does have to sit out...right?

4) I really like this WR #17....not sure who he is.

5) J-Mo still looks TOO BIG to me.

6) Both Holman and Monroe look like monsters out there. I think they are both going to have great years.

Sorry, I don't have more to report.

This would be Brian Nelson.

) Coach Dodge and staff are holding a coaches clinic for high school coaches (tonight and tomorrow). There were probably 100 h.s. coaches watching practice.

This will pay huge dividends in the future. Why DD didn't do this is beyond me. Maybe because the HS coaches were running a more complex offense. :ph34r:

5) J-Mo still looks TOO BIG to me.

What is Too Big? Does he look slow?

This would be Brian Nelson.

This will pay huge dividends in the future. Why DD didn't do this is beyond me. Maybe because the HS coaches were running a more complex offense. :ph34r:

What is Too Big? Does he look slow?

J MO has spent a lot of time in the weight room. I still think that he looks just as fast, but he is definately bigger than last year.

Tune and Meager both looked great in the drills that I saw. Meager looked especially good.

3) Evan Fentriss looks great. Too bad he has to sit out a year. He does have to sit out...right?

Agree, Meager and Tune are improving every week and are starting to get comfortable. Fentriss definitely sits out due to NCAA transfer rules. I saw him play Texas as a true freshman last year on TV. He had some incredible catches and got some huge kudos from the broadcasters. He knows TD's offense well and appears to be encouraging the other WRs in learning...good sign. There are number of guys who are starting to make some great catches and that will continue to improve, particularly if they get to practice 7 on 7 this summer. Timing and repetitions are key to the spread. They are all getting more confident and starting to look more natural compared to week one when everyone looked a little awkward. The O line will determine much of our success next year. So far they are looking good as well. Can they handle OU? I was in Norman in +/- 2003 when UNT almost knocked off OU first game of the year. I believe OU went on to win the national championship that year under Jason White after a narrow escape. Go Mean Green.

Agree, Meager and Tune are improving every week and are starting to get comfortable. Fentriss definitely sits out due to NCAA transfer rules. I saw him play Texas as a true freshman last year on TV. He had some incredible catches and got some huge kudos from the broadcasters. He knows TD's offense well and appears to be encouraging the other WRs in learning...good sign. There are number of guys who are starting to make some great catches and that will continue to improve, particularly if they get to practice 7 on 7 this summer. Timing and repetitions are key to the spread. They are all getting more confident and starting to look more natural compared to week one when everyone looked a little awkward. The O line will determine much of our success next year. So far they are looking good as well. Can they handle OU? I was in Norman in +/- 2003 when UNT almost knocked off OU first game of the year. I believe OU went on to win the national championship that year under Jason White after a narrow escape. Go Mean Green.

I was at that game too but I don't recall us almost knocking OU off. I recall us losing 35-10. Granted it wasn't the pasting Texas has put on us but almost knocking off is a tad generous.

This year could be a lot different.

our o-line is looking good? I went to the scrimmage and I thought that was our biggest problem.

I agree with Lazer, that the o-line may become a concern. Why? First, a lack

of depth. There are 13 OL players listed on the current roster, but, Brown has

left the team, Alexander is not healthy, and Banks is working on grades (will

he be back for the fall?). That leaves 10 players, and 3 are centers. I read

some of the SBC prospectus on some of the other schools. Troy, had 20 OL

players and 16 DL players listed. That count did not include TE's and DE's.

(May include walk on's) Lose a OL guy to injury, is there a good backup?

Second, the OT position. Only Peachy and Carlson have OT game experience.

The other OT candidates are RFr's or former walk on's. I can see why the

coaches are working hard on Menard at OT, and playing musical chairs

with the other players at other OL positions.

I really beleive 2 of the new OL recruits, center JJ Johnson and OT Matt

Tomlinson will have a very good opportunity to play and maybe even

start this season. Either way, these 2 will certainly be welcomed.

I agree with Lazer, that the o-line may become a concern. Why? First, a lack

of depth. There are 13 OL players listed on the current roster, but, Brown has

left the team, Alexander is not healthy, and Banks is working on grades (will

he be back for the fall?). That leaves 10 players, and 3 are centers. I read

some of the SBC prospectus on some of the other schools. Troy, had 20 OL

players and 16 DL players listed. That count did not include TE's and DE's.

(May include walk on's) Lose a OL guy to injury, is there a good backup?

Second, the OT position. Only Peachy and Carlson have OT game experience.

The other OT candidates are RFr's or former walk on's. I can see why the

coaches are working hard on Menard at OT, and playing musical chairs

with the other players at other OL positions.

I really beleive 2 of the new OL recruits, center JJ Johnson and OT Matt

Tomlinson will have a very good opportunity to play and maybe even

start this season. Either way, these 2 will certainly be welcomed.

I know I said the line was the biggest issue but what I meant was the OT's and the center in particular. Nearly every defensive player that was in the backfield came from the outside. Matt Tomlinson is huge and I personally think he has alot of potential. I'm not sure which center I was watching at the scrimmage but the shotgun did not appear to be his forte. All four Qb's got several horrible snaps. Although JJ Johnson will be young and needs a little bulking up he has been playing the shotgun his entire football career (I think I read that somewhere) and I feel he has a VERY good chance at starting next year. I feel more comfortable with a center that has a little bulking up to do and has no college experience that can atleast snap the ball well then one that does have the experience but cant produce. This Offense requires a strong and consistant shotgun snapper and thats what I fell JJ is. The same goes for Matt Tomlinson, I dont know how good he is but if he can atleast hack it with our current guys I prefer him to play because it will only make him better and give him more experience for future seasons.

Edited by LAZER