The first that pops into my head is Babe Ruth. But the true "non-Steroid" home run king is Henry Aaron. Watched TV the night he hit #715. Not a big Henry fan and definately not an Atlanta Brave fan (yuck!) but it was a great moment in sports.

Barry Bonds can go flush himself.

Roger Maris was a class act and the single season "non-Steroid" home run king. Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa were all juiced when they did thiers. If Ryan Howard of the Phillies hits 62 in the next few seasons, then he becomes the new single season "non-Steroid" home run king. (oh, and I dont like the Phillies either...YUCK!)

I know its just a film and I'm sure there was some dramatization but after Watching "61", I just fell in love with Roger Maris. I guess you can thank Barry Pepper for that too. As for the home run king I think there should be other candidates in that list too but I'm gonna have to go with the BABE. Aaron had many more at bats than Ruth and yet still only managed 36 home runs more. Now this isnt a knock on Aaron but its just the way I have looked at it. I also take into account that on top of being a dominant hitter, Ruth was a great to dominant pitcher. Other candidates could be Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Bonds (before he used roids), and Mickey Mantle. KG for sure has to be looked at even though he's been very injury prone but when he's played he's fantastic.