Let's Talk Some Defense

untStein

Defense-

I beleive the returning defensive players have the potential to be pretty good,

especially at DE,LB,Corners, and Safety's because all of these guys played

alot against some good teams, and gained good experience. Each of these

positions have good depth.

My concern is DT and NT. There are only 3 players listed on the roster:

NT, Isaach Thomas,5-11,289lbs,JR,- never has lived up to his potential.

DT, Joseph Miller,6-3,275lbs,JR, I like this guy. He will anchor the DL.

Surely he is bigger and stronger since last season.

DT, Kendrick Ridge,6-1,275lbs,R-Fr. Lets see how he does in the spring.

I would like to see DE, Montey Stevenson,6-2,290lbs,SR, slide over to NT.

Stevenson drew alot of double teams last year, and made plays!

I think our new recruit, DT Jesse Desoto, 6-2,280lbs, will have a good

chance to play in 2007.

Also, our DE, E. Gillmore,6-5,250lbs, is rumored to be back in the fall.

Guest GrayEagleOne

There could easily be none but I'm thinking that one or two could see PT this fall. Our deepest positions are all of the linebackers, corners and defensive end. We are deep at safety but we lose four to graduation after next season. We might be adequate at tackle if Santiago is as advertised.

My guess is if any do play their their first year it will be Ealey and/or Scoggins.

There could easily be none but I'm thinking that one or two could see PT this fall. Our deepest positions are all of the linebackers, corners and defensive end. We are deep at safety but we lose four to graduation after next season. We might be adequate at tackle if Santiago is as advertised.

My guess is if any do play their their first year it will be Ealey and/or Scoggins.

I agree with you, I think Ealey could contribute right away. Outside of that, I think we have a pretty solid group returning on defense. I think our defense was better than advertised. Hard to win games and hold opposing teams when you constantly lose the field position battle due to offensive ineptitude.

I would like to see the following:

DE's: Chapman and Gilmore

DT's: Stevenson and Thomas if he reaches his potential. Miller follows closely behind Thomas

LB's: Nwigwe, Holman and Monroe give us the most athletes, but this is a deep position.

CB's: Bush and Green or Loren

Safety: Weathers and Chapman

It's tough right now to take a stab at the defense. A LOT of players will be moving in the spring, and the jump back ot the 4-3 leaves some questions that we didint have last year. My best guess...

DE - Blake Burruss/Montey Stevenson

DE - Jeremiah Chapman/Willie Ransom

DT - Isaac Thomas

DT - Joe Miller

LOLB - Brandon Monroe/

MLB - Tobe Nwigwe

ROLB - Maurice Holman

RCB - Dom. Green

FS - Aaron Weathers

SS - Roy Loren (possible move back to corner in the spring.. Steve Warren gets the SS spot)

LCB - Desmon Chatman

All of these are "what-if's" right now. Some of the defensive guys will move to offense. Some of the offensive guys (mostly TE's) will move to DE. Whow knows what we will actually have in each position, and this doesnt account for the newbies that come in the fall? We have lots of questions for Coach Dodge to answer.

GMG!!!

On that same note who do yall see starting at the linebacker position. It seems that we are extremely deep at this position. I personal favorites are Monroe and Nwgiwe.

Well bro....I think you meant to say my personal favorites.

But I think Monroe, Holman, and Nwigwe are the 3 top LB's.

But do you guys think that Charly Brown wil move to DE with the new spread offnce from TE?

I thought Craig Roberstson was going to be a SS? If he can play LB, go for it!

I beleive the new LB recruits will be red shirt due to the LB depth.

Do not forget Colt Mahan at LB, to go with Tobe Nwigwi.

Yes, Marquis Sykes, Draylen Ross, Sam Owusu-Hemng, and Tye Rexrode are all young

D-ends that shoud get playing time.

What happen to Krider?

I beleive the current defensive players can develop into a good salty team!

My concern is DT/NT--not alot of depth at the position.

I think we are going to need to score a lot of points. We have good talent in the defensive line but not enough depth for a solid rotation in order to keep fresh legs in there. I hope we do a lot of recruiting in this area in the coming years. One thing about Dickey is that he did recruit the defensive tackle position heavily such that we had a good rotation of players. That position is the key to having a GREAT defense and to being able to shut teams down. When the game is close and I look out on the field and see the Defensive Line huffing and puffing, I know we are in trouble. When you see a fresh DL, you know you have got steam to finish the job off. We ain't got it this year, but I am hoping we build that. With all of that said, we can still win with Dodge's offense!

Guest GrayEagleOne

We have a good returning linebacker corps. Last year's 3-4 gave more a chance to play but reduced individual defensive numbers. Still Holman was the second leading tackler and was our best linebacker last year. The second best linebacker last year, statistically, was a name that isn't getting much mention but deserves it; that would be former walkon Germaine Dawson. My pick for starters next year would be Holman, Nwigwe and Dawson. Monroe had great success early in his career here but his performance lately, while still good, has slipped. Colt Mahan was our fourth leading tackler and Derek Mendoza averaged more that 4 tackles per game. It has been said that redshirt freshman Craig Robertson will make an impact. Durodoye is another letterman linebacker.

Our most talented recruits as a group were probably the linebackers (although receivers would give them a run for their money). But, when you look at the ability, experience and depth of the current group, I don't see the need to play any of these three their first year.

NT has a lot of experienced good defensive players. The problem as I see it that NT does not have any outstanding defensive players. Seniors Chapman, Weathers, and Holman have probably played the best in their careers but none at this point is a dominating player. These three as well as others could develop into the outstanding players the defense needs. My picks for impact defensive players other than the seniors mentioned: Ross makes successful conversion from TE to DE, Bush begins to dominate at CB, Scoggins plays major minutes as freshman, Nwigwe becomes best linebacker, and Thomas finally arrives at defensive tackle.