Allow Me To Opine.

AnotherEagleFan

We have a Basketball program at UNT that does not require rebuilding. The facilities are much more then adequate. The local talent pool is plentiful. In fact our coaches have done a very good job of bringing good talent to UNT (not just locally).

Just 3 games ago I was hoping (rather optimistically) that we would finish strong enough to get an invite to the NCAA tournament without having to win the conference tournament. And now I am left wondering if we will ever make it to the dance given our current staff. I believe that this team with a top 10 coach could WIN a couple of NCAA tournament games (this year). Truthfully we are not going to get a top 10 Coach but that doesn’t mean that we can’t get a Coach who could take this team to the NCAA tournament next year. UNT does not need to hire a Coach who is thinking about rebuilding a program but rather a Coach who takes a look at the current status of the program and knows that he can win immediately. After this year we should be asking “how do we go from one NCAA tournament win” to “how to get into the final 4” to “how to win a National Championship.”

How do we make the correct decision concerning JJ? In my opinion it needs to be communicated to JJ that we win the remaining games on the schedule and at least make it to the championship game of the Sunbelt tournament or we will be searching for his replacement. I believe this to be a realistic expectation for a good coach given the talent on our team. But truthfully we should not allow our administration to keep around a 15 win per year coach. Our standard should be 15 wins in a bad year. With the exception of 02-03 (7 wins) we have been between 14 and 16 years since 01-02.

Basketball is the means to help fund other athletics. I have been told that a NCAA Tournament appearance nets the school much more then a non-BCS Football bowl game. I am a Football fan first but the Basketball program is vital to all athletics financially.

Right on, right on. I do not think that mediocrity in basketball is part of Batille's dream for North Texas. She wants national attention and knows that athletics is a good way to get it.

which is why I think you will see some shakeups at the end of the season if things continue to deteriorate as they usually do.

Edited by Eagle1855