Showboating

marc_moffitt

I was not able to make it to the game last night, but, I read in the paper this morning that JJ doesn't care for the "showboating" from our guys

Well, being the excitable fan that I am, I DO LIKE SHOWBOATING, and wish that we had more of it.

I understand the need for discipline, but, when you're up by that margin, the fans want to see showboating, and they will cheer for it.

Even when we are in games where it is coming down to the last few seconds, and we are up by 5+ points, I think we should finish the night off with a dunk to put it away.

You gotta give the fans what they want, thats what matters most.

Right now, the fans want a conference championship, and more Ba-Dunk-a-Dunk at home

Showboating is just an expression of "look at me" in any athletics. I am not real fond of it.

Look at the old films from the early 70's. You never saw showboating the way it is now. You never saw any elaborate celebration for a score back then. Now there are elaborate celebrations for a "first down" or "sack" or in basketball, for a basket or any hit in baseball.

While I am not in favor of the "no celebration rule," (sports is an emotinal event and it is hard to curb enthusiam) I do have a problem with the "look at me" on every play.

Act like you've been there before.

I was not able to make it to the game last night, but, I read in the paper this morning that JJ doesn't care for the "showboating" from our guys

Well, being the excitable fan that I am, I DO LIKE SHOWBOATING, and wish that we had more of it.

I understand the need for discipline, but, when you're up by that margin, the fans want to see showboating, and they will cheer for it.

Even when we are in games where it is coming down to the last few seconds, and we are up by 5+ points, I think we should finish the night off with a dunk to put it away.

You gotta give the fans what they want, thats what matters most.

Right now, the fans want a conference championship, and more Ba-Dunk-a-Dunk at home

I agree. . In B-ball showboating is part of the experience.

Whenever we dunk--- We should beat our chests and throw up the Talons!

A rebound---twist some elbows

A no look pass---grab some nuts

And 1---grab a cheerleader's butt

Respect from the other team. Garnish it! Demand it! and oh yea~ maybe if we can get into the tourney and maybe pull an upset then perhaps, we can "showboat" in the form of pride that we set out a goal and achieved that goal.

Peace.

Look at the old films from the early 70's. You never saw showboating the way it is now. You never saw any elaborate celebration for a score back then.
I think you are on to something. All the young showboating whippersnappers need to take note of this 70's icon who "acted like he had been there before":

William Arthur Johnson, aka "White Shoes", (born January 27, 1952) was a pro football player from 1974 through 1988. He is widely famous for his elaborate celebrations in the end zone.

As a rookie, he began celebrating touchdowns with a dance known as the "Funky Chicken", a dance based on a song from soul singer Rufus Thomas.

Ah yes, the good old days.

So completely different from sports today.

Edited by Coach

Give me showboating or give me death!

And don't be surprised if a fight breaks out.......I don't really have a problem with that either, as long as we win and nobody is seriously hurt.

? I pray to God that this does not become justification for thuggery (for lack of a better term). I do have a problem with fighting, even if nobody is seriously hurt.

I'm going to support this team no matter what. It doesn't take a dunk to get me going, but I understand that this is supposed to be entertainment for a lot of you all. Rubbing things in at the expense of the opposition's dignity is not way to go about this. Sometimes it works against you.

Miami @ Louisville, anyone? anyone?

In my mind, there are 2 types of showboating:

1. An act by yourself, to bring attention to yourself, to celebrate an individual play.

2. A team celebration

I have no problem with a team celebration. Athletics are supposed to be passionate and exciting, and you should be able to celebrate with your team after a win or even after a great play.

I really do dislike it when a player makes an individual play, then pushes away his teammates, to do an individual celebration. He doesn't even think about the fact that if his teammates didn't do their jobs, he wouldn't have the opportunity to celebrate.