Unt Notebook: Unt Picks Up Klein Tackle

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...1.3747f166.html

UNT notebook: UNT picks up Klein tackle

Tomlinson is rated among top 100 prospects in Houston

01:28 AM CST on Wednesday, January 31, 2007

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

One of the top offensive line prospects in the Houston area committed to North Texas this week.

Matt Tomlinson, a first-team All-District 16-5A tackle from Klein, confirmed on Tuesday that he has orally committed to play for the Mean Green and its new head coach, Todd Dodge

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 7.

Tomlinson (6-5, 270) is a member of the Houston Chronicle's list of the top 100 players in the area.

"I didn't hear much from North Texas until coach Dodge got there," Tomlinson said. "As soon as he got there, UNT contacted me. They recruited me as a left tackle."

Tomlinson visited UNT on Sunday and committed late Monday night.

Indiana, UTEP and Rice also offered Tomlinson a scholarship.

"Matt's potential is unlimited," Klein coach Stan Labay said. "He was our best offensive lineman and plays on the basketball team. He is a young kid who is going to get a lot bigger and stronger and he has great feet."

Tomlinson was a late bloomer at Klein. He did not earn all-district honors until his senior season.

"We were thinking he was going to be a really good player last spring," Labay said. "He had a good summer and fall and got better as the season went along. He will be a player in college."

Tomlinson played in a run-based offense at Klein and will have to adjust to playing in a spread formation at UNT. The transition is one Tomlinson is looking forward to making.

"It will be an adjustment, but I like pass blocking," Tomlinson said. "It will work out great."

UNT lost starting left tackle Joel Foster to graduation but returns all three other tackles that were on its depth chart at the end of the season. Josh Alexander, a junior who was expected to start at left tackle last season, will also return.

Alexander sat out last season with a knee injury.

"Coach Dodge told me to come in with the mentality that I am going to compete for a spot," Tomlinson said. "But I will probably redshirt."

UNT has now received commitments from 17 high school players and three transfers, including JUCO running back Cam Montgomery, who will be eligible to play next season.

North Texas commitments

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for North Texas

Pos. Player School

LB Marquese Davis Atlanta

DL Jesse DeSoto San Antonio Lee

WR Sam Dibrell S.A. Alamo Heights

S Bron Hager Austin Westlake

WR Breece Johnson Colleyville Heritage

OL J.J. Johnson Plano West

WR Marcus King Euless Trinity

WR Jason Martinson Birdville

RB Micah Mosley Nederland

LB Justin Padron Southlake Carroll

LB A.J. Penson Lufkin