Big 10 Commish The Largest Roadblock To A Playoff?

Eagle1855

Definitely not surprising. The whole bcs is money and politics and I guess Jim Delaney seems to be the smartest. Plus the big ten and pac 10 are very powerful conferences with very powerful schools involved so its not surprising they have a lot of power and influence.

Very good article. Interesting comments about D. Dodds, as well.

People not walking away is not a vailid argument to me. Fans are going to support their teams regardless of playoff or bcs. There is no way people would ban college football in an effort to convert to a playoff system, it is a ridiculous argument.

That is like saying, we want healthier food so we are refusing to eat until there is only good food out there.

Edited by Cr1028

Why don't they realize that there would be more interest and more money in a playoff?

See: March Madness

They do. The crux of the issue is covered in that article. It is simple. The regular season tv money is guaranteed to the conference b/c the conferences sign their own tv deals. The playoffs would be a shared pool of money that would be divided out based on the results of the playoff. Jim Delaney contests that adding a playoff would dilute interest in regular season games (something he cannot prove), thereby making it harder for the conferences to sign big money tv deals for regular season broadcasts. Put simply, it's a lose-lose deal for the power conferences in a playoff scenario unless they keep the playoff to just power conference teams. They'd simultaneously lose money from regular season broadcasts and increase their chances of not earning the big money in post-season play if their teams get knocked out early.

I'd be interested in hearing what the Florida President's proposal is. After reading this, I really don't see why any of the big schools would be interested in a true playoff that is open to all conferences.

They do. The crux of the issue is covered in that article. It is simple. The regular season tv money is guaranteed to the conference b/c the conferences sign their own tv deals. The playoffs would be a shared pool of money that would be divided out based on the results of the playoff. Jim Delaney contests that adding a playoff would dilute interest in regular season games (something he cannot prove), thereby making it harder for the conferences to sign big money tv deals for regular season broadcasts. Put simply, it's a lose-lose deal for the power conferences in a playoff scenario unless they keep the playoff to just power conference teams. They'd simultaneously lose money from regular season broadcasts and increase their chances of not earning the big money in post-season play if their teams get knocked out early.

I'd be interested in hearing what the Florida President's proposal is. After reading this, I really don't see why any of the big schools would be interested in a true playoff that is open to all conferences.

Tho I do not like the BCS system I do agree with Jim Delaney that the hype and buzz of the regular probably wouldnt be there like there is right now. If you are USC, Texas etc then you can say that oh 1 or 2 losses isnt bad cuz there is always the playoffs. Maybe in the beginning the hype and stuff would be the same but over time I think it could peter out a little bit and people will start to say there's a playoff so no worries. I dont know I could be wrong but I am thinking this would happen.

Tho I do not like the BCS system I do agree with Jim Delaney that the hype and buzz of the regular probably wouldnt be there like there is right now. If you are USC, Texas etc then you can say that oh 1 or 2 losses isnt bad cuz there is always the playoffs. Maybe in the beginning the hype and stuff would be the same but over time I think it could peter out a little bit and people will start to say there's a playoff so no worries. I dont know I could be wrong but I am thinking this would happen.

Kind of like the regular basketball season isn't exciting right now? <_<

Such as when a one loss Florida team still plays for a national title? That's what these schools ALREADY think because they hold the monopoly and control to get in, anyway's. And what's considered hype, or buzz? Is he reading that as if Ohio State won't sell out all of their games in October simply because people will wait to save up for their playoff games?

It is so stupidly obvious that this is a dictatorial monopoly that it isn't even funny any more. Maybe ArkStFan can remind us here further, but I just don't see how it is that an anti-trust lawsuit, or rather a threat of one, hasn't gone further than it did. The president of Tulane had the ball rolling two years ago but I can't remember what stalled it?

Crazy!

Rick

...because clearly the NFL is suffering for ratings and selling time on their regular season games because none of the teams in the NFL make it to the end undefeated...

:rolleyes:

Sorry, that argument don't hold water.

It is so stupidly obvious that this is a dictatorial monopoly that it isn't even funny any more. Maybe ArkStFan can remind us here further, but I just don't see how it is that an anti-trust lawsuit, or rather a threat of one, hasn't gone further than it did. The president of Tulane had the ball rolling two years ago but I can't remember what stalled it?

Agreed. I think what stalled it was that the Tulane President and his posse backed off when the BCS threw the table scraps out last year that allowed 2 more teams to make BCS games and eased back the final ranking a non-bcs team had to be to get in. I remember reading clips from Benson, the MVC commish and the Tulane president that said they were happy with what they got. Here's a decent story on it:

BCS Sux