QB situation

SilverEagle

UNT FOOTBALL NOTESTransfer QB pushing for start

By Troy Phillips

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTON - Today's scrimmage marking the end of North Texas' fall camp should provide clues as to which quarterback could start Sept. 2 against Texas in Austin.

In only 10 days, third-stringer Woody Wilson has made the competition a virtual dead heat. Wilson was slowed early in camp with a sprained knee. He missed UNT's first scrimmage Aug. 16 but has performed well since.

Projected starter Daniel Meager remained out Friday with a concussion that has left him nauseous all week, and he's expected to miss today's scrimmage, leaving Wilson and Matt Phillips to battle for the starting spot. Freshman Nathan Tune probably will redshirt this season.

"We know what Daniel can do," UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. "In fact, until he got his bell rung, he was having a very good camp."

Since his spring-ball debut after transferring from Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College, Wilson has closed the gap, Dickey said.

"The coaches give us equal opportunities," Wilson said. "If a person is sitting out, it gives us more chances, but the coaches know what we're all capable of, so it evens out."

Good news, bad news

Receiver Johnny Quinn is expected to return to practice Monday after having surgery on his left hand. For games, he'll be fitted with a glove-type apparatus that shouldn't limit thumb or finger movement, Darrell Dickey said.

Outside linebacker Phillip Graves (knee sprain) will be out for the Texas game and perhaps longer. His replacements at UNT's "rover" spot are inexperienced. Junior Lawrence Brown has played only special teams in college, and sophomore Germaine Dawson is a former walk-on.

"Phillip will probably be the one that we have to do the most scrambling to replace," Dickey said.

Briefly

Sun Belt Conference officials will brief UNT players and coaches today on instant replay, which the conference will use this season. UNT will simulate replay and coaches' challenges during today's scrimmage.

Defensive back Aaron Weathers blocked two field-goal attempts in Friday's morning practice. Weathers blocked a field goal against Troy last season.

True freshman Draylen Ross of Diamond Hill-Jarvis continues working at tight end instead of his natural position, defensive end. Ross is a strong redshirt candidate.

Special teams protection and coverage remain high on UNT's list of concerns as the season draws near, Darrell Dickey said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com

Ok, once again I'm certainly no Doctor, but a concussion that causes throwing up and nausea for a week would cause me great concerned.

Guest GrayEagleOne

NCMG,

Dawson is a walk-on from Rockdale who did play some on special teams last year. The only time that I noticed him was when he managed to pick up two major penalties, either back-to-back or in close proximity, I forget which. Both Brown and Dawson are big dropoffs IMO. What's happened to Colt Mahan?

BIG DAWG

I'd bet the farm that JQ pushed the issue. He may want to show the pro scouts that he can play hurt and still be effective. While I hate to see him risk further injury, he is a team leader and wants to show others by example to lay it all on the line.

BIG DAWG

I'd bet the farm that JQ pushed the issue. He may want to show the pro scouts that he can play hurt and still be effective. While I hate to see him risk further injury, he is a team leader and wants to show others by example to lay it all on the line.

That is fine, he is the offensive leader, and should beg and plead to get in the game, I want that from him.

Dickey job is to do what is best for his team, and I think that the best thing is to sit QUinn it what is an unwinable game. Yes, I said it unwinable.

SMU is an IMPORTANT and WINABLE game that I would let Quinn play in if he could convince me over the next 2 weeks that he can be effective with this glove.

Think about this though, and do so without green tinted glasses.

Is it really worth him possibly getting hurt worse? Decoy or not. He will be run blocking even wothout being thrown one pass.

Do we really want to take this risk against Texas.

To be honest with you, there is a part of me that doesn't want to see him play until conference.

I know this might put his draft stock in jeopardy, that is why I will back his decision in 11 games, but NOT the Texas game.

There is nothing to gain.

Him "proving he can play with pain" can be done in the other 11 games. NOTHING TO GAIN FROM STEPPING ON THE FIELD AGAINST TEXAS!

Think about this though, and do so without green tinted glasses.

Is it really worth him possibly getting hurt worse?  Decoy or not.  He will be run blocking even wothout being thrown one pass.

Do we really want to take this risk against Texas.

To be honest with you, there is a part of me that doesn't want to see him play until conference.

I know this might put his draft stock in jeopardy, that is why I will back his decision in 11 games, but NOT the Texas game.

There is nothing to gain.

Him "proving he can play with pain" can be done in the other 11 games.  NOTHING TO GAIN FROM STEPPING ON THE FIELD AGAINST TEXAS!

I understand your words well, but on the flip-side for JQ what if he scores a TD against the mighty UT, hurt and what not, How much could that help his draft probability?

Big Dawg at the end of the day I completely agree with you on this.

NCMG,

Dawson is a walk-on from Rockdale who did play some on special teams last year.  The only time that I noticed him was when he managed to pick up two major penalties, either back-to-back or in close proximity, I forget which.  Both Brown and Dawson are big dropoffs IMO.  What's happened to Colt Mahan?

BIG DAWG

I'd bet the farm that JQ pushed the issue.  He may want to show the pro scouts that he can play hurt and still be effective.  While I hate to see him risk further injury, he is a team leader and wants to show others by example to lay it all on the line.

Colt has been injured ,missed the last scrimmage and today's as well.

Def was not real sharp today.