Today's practice - notes,thoughts,observations ?

MeanGreen61

Ok, I'll admit, I was up there today. I left after about 2 1/2 hours. They were doing kick-off practice.....I mean showing everyone where to stand kick-off practice.

Overall the team is bigger and (with some exceptions) a bit more muscular than in the spring.

The defense is ahead of the offense, but that's pretty typical.

There were four QB's that got reps while I was watching. Phillips, Meager, Wilson and Tune. Early reports are right, none of them are jumping out at you, but then, it's pretty early. I will say that Wilson's accuracy seemed a little better than in the spring. He still tucks it up and runs through the middle. He made one breathtaking run for a TD. He weaved his way through the middle and made just about everyone on the defense miss. I didn't see Steve Price suited up.

Phillips has the strongest arm, but he just wasn't hitting much today. Meager made some good throws over the middle, but I think he and Phillips were both intercepted at least once. Meager is still the second most mobile QB out there. Tune looked OK . He looks like he might be a little more mobile than Phillips, but his throwing is so-so.

Jamario looked good, but not spectacular. I only saw Devin Cox on a few running plays and he did fine. I still think he needs to work on his moves a little more, and less on trying to run over LB's. Robertson looked like the hardest working one out there. He made some very good open field moves and had some good gaines. I didn't see Maldonado get any reps, but they were working the freshman from Kaufman at RB and gave him some reps. He seemed pretty fast, but he wasn't as fast (today anyway) as Robertson.

All the WR's looked good. JQ was his usual money-in-the-bank self. Casey Fitzgerald made a good grab or so, and Arthur Stubblefield made a spectacular catch (it looked one handed to me) on a bomb while wearing a DB, and then took it all the way in. Zac Muzzy looked a step faster out there. He was working hard too, and made some good catches on some pretty bad throws. Joel Nwigwe looked spectacular. He had a couple of big plays. Brandon Jackson did not practice, nor did Brock Stickler. I also didn't see Guy Fernandez suited up either.

The O-line looks pretty good. They've moved Brian Carleson to tackle and gave him #70 to wear. He was running with the second team. Drake #68 was out there. He didn't look like a 300 pounder however. I didn't get to see Nic Foster (from Allen) even though he was out there.

Players that seemed to get my attention....for what ever reason.

#77 Esteban Santiago. This young man looks like a very impressive player. He looks ever bit 6'5" and 275. Actually he looks closer to 295 or 300. If a dirty uniform is any indication that a player is going to contribute, then he might be in the starting rotation. This young man looks like a football player.

Marquis Sykes #43. I didn't get to see him play, but he also looks like a football player. He's every bit of 6'3 X 253.

Sky Pruitt #56 was really doing great. He looks lighter, and he seems to be quicker off the line.

Bush #35 looks like a veteran out there. This guy is good.

Loren #29 also looks good.

Questions?

Edited by SilverEagle

Ok, I'll admit, I was up there today. I left after about 2 1/2 hours. They were doing kick-off practice.....I mean showing everyone where to stand kick-off practice.

Overall the team is bigger and (with some exceptions) a bit more muscular than in the spring.

The defense is ahead of the offense, but that's pretty typical.

There were four QB's that got reps while I was watching. Phillips, Meager, Wilson and Tune.  Early reports are right, none of them are jumping out at you, but then, it's pretty early. I will say that Wilson's accuracy seemed a little better than in the spring. He still tucks it up and runs through the middle. He made one breathtaking run for a TD. He weaved his way through the middle and made just about everyone on the defense miss. I didn't see Steve Price suited up.

Phillips has the strongest arm, but he just wasn't hitting much today. Meager made some good throws over the middle, but I think he and Phillips were both intercepted at least once. Meager is still the second most mobile QB out there. Tune looked OK . He looks like he might be a little more mobile than Phillips, but his throwing is so-so.

Jamario looked good, but not spectacular. I only saw Devin Cox on a few running plays and he did fine. I still think he needs to work on his moves a little more, and less on trying to run over LB's. Robertson looked like the hardest working one out there. He made some very good open field moves and had some good gaines. I didn't see Maldonado get any reps, but they were working the freshman from Kaufman at RB and gave him some reps. He seemed pretty fast, but he wasn't as fast (today anyway) as Robertson.

All the WR's looked good. JQ was his usual money-in-the-bank self. Casey Fitzgerald made a good grab or so, and Arthur Stubblefield made a spectacular catch (it looked one handed to me) on a bomb while wearing a DB, and then took it all the way in. Zac Muzzy looked a step faster out there. He was working hard too, and made some good catches on some pretty bad throws. Joel Nwigwe looked spectacular. He had a couple of big plays.  Brandon Jackson did not practice, nor did Brock Stickler.  I also didn't see Guy Fernandez suited up either.

The O-line looks pretty good. They've moved Brian Carleson to tackle and gave him #70 to wear. He was running with the second team. Drake #68 was out there. He didn't look like a 300 pounder however.  I didn't get to see Nic Foster (from Allen) even though he was out there.

Players that seemed to get my attention....for what ever reason.

#77 Esteban Santiago. This young man looks like a very impressive. He looks ever bit 6'5" and 275. Actually he looks closer to 295 or 300. If a dirty uniform is any indication that a player is going to contribute, then he might be in the starting rotation. This young man looks like a football player.

Marquis Sykes #43. I didn't get to see him play, but he also looks like a football player. He's every bit of 6'3 X 253.

Sky Pruitt #56 was really doing great. He looks lighter, and he seems to be quicker off the line.

Bush #35 looks like a veteran out there. This guy is good.

Loren #29 also looks good.

Questions?

All us far off fans thank you. Some good insights. It's still early, but it is interesting to find out who looks like they could contribute to the program. A friend of mine who lives in North Texas said that he keeps hearing how highly the staff thinks of this recruiting class. Hope he (they) are correct!

Thanks for the report!

I saw someone, the other day, ask about Isaac Thomas and it seemed like the response from those 'in the know' was that the coaching staff was being very careful with him. Is he even out there practicing? So far, we are a week into practice and I haven't seen one mention of him. This has me worried. Our dline NEEDS that guy in a bad way for us to have a good season.

Thanks for the report!

I saw someone, the other day, ask about Isaac Thomas and it seemed like the response from those 'in the know' was that the coaching staff was being very careful with him.  Is he even out there practicing?  So far, we are a week into practice and I haven't seen one mention of him.  This has me worried.  Our dline NEEDS that guy in a bad way for us to have a good season.

I was there on Wednesday morning and Isaac was practicing. He ran maybe 5 or so of the end of practice gassers and was always at the end of his group, then he stopped and walked with the trainers for a bit. I don't know if he's been active since then but when he was on the field he looked like a force. I only hope that whatever ailed him last season isn't a threat to do so again and that the coaches are just taking it easy on him because of the heat.

I was there on Wednesday morning and Isaac was practicing.  He ran maybe 5 or so of the end of practice gassers and was always at the end of his group,  then he stopped and walked with the trainers for a bit.  I don't know if he's been active since then but when he was on the field he looked like a force.  I only hope that whatever ailed him last season isn't a threat to do so again and that the coaches are just taking it easy on him because of the heat.

Thanks! Not sure if that's good or bad news, but it's good to know that he's at least out there and looking strong when he is on the field...

Thanks!  Not sure if that's good or bad news, but it's good to know that he's at least out there and looking strong when he is on the field...

Well, maybe the defense won't be out there as long as it has in the most recent past. And then Mr. Thomas (and the rest of the defense) could be much more effective when they're out there.

Edited by SilverEagle