Preserve Denton -Vote and Safe Fry St.

Have you have looked across the street from A&M?  Almost nothing looks less than 70 yrs old.  Not a lot better close to Texas either, at least the last time I was there and 6th street is even older looking.

Yeah. I continue to fail to see how this helps the FB program in any meaningful way. huh.gif

More than anything that's what I'd miss whenever I come back to the litte D. It was a yearly tradition to stop in there, have a slice, and reflect on my college years.

Amen.

Yeah.  I continue to fail to see how this helps the FB program in any meaningful way. huh.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing it redeveloped with clubs/restaurants, etc. I'm not really for Walgreen's or Rite-Aid. If it can be redeveloped as more of a 'destination' for fans of UNT and their opponents, then it can definitely help the program. Part of making the road trips to opposing cities is the chance to party before/after, and something like this might have an effect if it's done right. cool.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing it redeveloped with clubs/restaurants, etc.  I'm not really for Walgreen's or Rite-Aid.  If it can be redeveloped as more of a 'destination' for fans of UNT and their opponents, then it can definitely help the program.  Part of making the road trips to opposing cities is the chance to party before/after, and something like this might have an effect if it's done right.  cool.gif

Here's where I am on this...I think it would be good to have nicer places near campus. So -- there's a whole god-awful shopping complex south of campus on Eagle drive. Granted, I don't know its availability to developers, but it would make more sense -- it's near the stadium, the campus, plenty of parking and just off the freeway. Fry street is not nearly as convenient and Hickory's a one way street with little parking. I can't see a "rejuvenated" Fry St., rid of "eyesores", being a huge draw for folks who live in Southmont or Idiot's Hill. To paraphrase: "Build it and there not necessarily going to come."

More important to some of us alums and a lot of the students, Fry street represents the closest thing to a campus social life that NT has. It's a part of the NT experience and tradition. Replace it with the ubiquitous Starbucks and "upscale" venues (which most students can't afford anyway), and you have fewer reasons for students to hang around campus on the weekends. NT "school spirit" already suffers enough from the feeling that it's a commuter school; taking away an NT tradition doesn't help.

Here's where I am on this...I think it would be good to have nicer places near campus.  So -- there's a whole god-awful shopping complex south of campus on Eagle drive.  Granted, I don't know its availability to developers, but it would make more sense -- it's near the stadium, the campus, plenty of parking and just off the freeway.  Fry street is not nearly as convenient and Hickory's a one way street with little parking.  I can't see a "rejuvenated" Fry St., rid of "eyesores", being a huge draw for folks who live in Southmont or Idiot's Hill.  To paraphrase:  "Build it and there not necessarily going to come."

More important to some of us alums and a lot of the students, Fry street represents the closest thing to a campus social life that NT has.  It's a part of the NT experience and tradition.  Replace it with the ubiquitous Starbucks and "upscale" venues (which most students can't afford anyway), and you have fewer reasons for students to hang around campus on the weekends.  NT "school spirit" already suffers enough from the feeling that it's a commuter school; taking away an NT tradition doesn't help.

You've hit on something here.

Wanna effect athletics with retail? Put mixed retail in and around a new stadium. Build it before you build the stadium. Maybe it will attract the BIG donor. It draws crowds around the stadium when there isn't a game, be them students, alums or simply local residents. It explodes with people game day. People get used to going to the stadium area and even enjoy it. How about tailgaiting outside of a place where you can walk in and buy 4 dozen wings to go, walk out the door 20 feet and continue tailgating outside the stadium.

While you're at it put classrooms inside the stadium that look out over the field. Mandate ALL freshman or new students take an NT brainwash class, that meets in these classrooms, their first semester of school.

All of that makes much more sense than razing Fry St.

I know many of the merchants in the Fry St. area.  They're all nice people, but most don't support NT athletics.

GJ,

Give me a break. Is it really necessary to support UNT athletics in order to own a business in Denton?

What if TWU wanted to do the same thing around the N. Elm St. area?

GJ,

Give me a break. Is it really necessary to support UNT athletics in order to own a business in Denton?

What if TWU wanted to do the same thing around the N. Elm St. area?

Or, what if Ross Perot and Mark Cuban partner'd up and decided to build their first Super Discount Cycling World at the corner of Elm and University?