Finally let one go

greenpie

UNT swimming coach's contract not renewed

09:57 PM CDT on Monday, April 17, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – The contract of swimming and diving coach Mona Nyheim-Canales was not renewed after the 2005-06 season, athletic director Rick Villarreal confirmed.

Nyheim-Canales spent four years at UNT and led the Mean Green to a fifth-place finish in a field of seven in the Sun Belt Conference championship in February.

Villarreal said assistant coach Maya Nikolova will work with the team in the off-season and continue recruiting. Villarreal hopes to have a new coach in place in the next two weeks.

I would think that this would be a good place to start upgrading our coaching hires. Maybe I dont know anything about swimming (hint hint I dont), but I would think that a top flight swiming coach doesnt cost that much. I imagine they all want to be in either Texas Florida or California. My high school had a top flight water polo program, and even though I went to a big school (I graduated with about 1k) we all knew that we were good at that. we also all knew that aTm was the place that the good female water polo players were going to go. if we got a good swiming coach I would assume that eventually people would find out about it. its not football or Bball, but it seems like it wouldnt cost much money to be good at. just get a good coach and it should take care of itself.

of course if I knew what I was talking about you would all be questioning my atheletic directorial descisions, as oppose to my sanity.

I would think that this would be a good place to start upgrading our coaching hires. Maybe I dont know anything about swimming (hint hint I dont), but I would think that a top flight swiming coach doesnt cost that much. I imagine they all want to be in either Texas Florida or California. My high school had a top flight water polo program, and even though I went to a big school (I graduated with about 1k) we all knew that we were good at that. we also all knew that aTm was the place that the good female water polo players were going to go. if we got a good swiming coach I would assume that eventually people would find out about it. its not football or Bball, but it seems like it wouldnt cost much money to be good at. just get a good coach and it should take care of itself.

of course if I knew what I was talking about you would all be questioning my atheletic directorial descisions, as oppose to my sanity.

rv needs to cut a major sport coach or two loose also. if nothing else to get some fans back on the wagon who were fed up with the mediocrity in the program.

Edited by LoveMG