No Score On DFW T.V.

NT91

They should give all the DFW area scores. Not just TCU and SMU.

Before we go condemning the D/FW news stations, do we know for sure that our Sports Information Director contacted each and provided the scores?

You know that it's kind kind of hard for them to report scores that they're not informed about.

Now, if the Athletic Department comes out and says that they have forwarded the information to each station, but certain ones REFUSE to give North Texas scores, then we may have a reason to bitch.

I don't know, which do you guys think is the case.

Before we go condemning the D/FW news stations, do we know for sure that our Sports Information Director contacted each and provided the scores?

You know that it's kind kind of hard for them to report scores that they're not informed about.

Now, if the Athletic Department comes out and says that they have forwarded the information to each station, but certain ones REFUSE to give North Texas scores, then we may have a reason to bitch.

I don't know, which do you guys think is the case.

Yeah that probably happened. The SID decided that after compiling and faxing updates out during the game, they'd just wipe their taints with the papers at the buzzer.

Here's a thought - a sports desk is faxed all sorts of information. Then they decide which is publically relevant. I know this board has has 2,000 people, and about 5,000 people total know these games are even occuring at max, but perhaps we are just placed in a pile with Texas St., TSU, SFA, SHSU, etc.? Why don't we give the media a reason to care and beat some teams that don't suck?

I know someone will point out how many alumni we have, but we all know how many actually care...

Hey, there's 500,000 people in this market - if we could send them posters and free tickets we'd pack the house! Maybe we could hand out Johnny Quinn/Mean Green tea bags? I know I would like one.

But you never miss a chance to try to kick someone in the balls do you? Why don't you call the AD and ask if it is a huge concern?

Support Nate Dogg.

Yeah that probably happened. The SID decided that after compiling and faxing updates out during the game, they'd just wipe their taints with the papers at the buzzer.

Here's a thought - a sports desk is faxed all sorts of information. Then they decide which is publically relevant. I know this board has has 2,000 people, and about 5,000 people total know these games are even occuring at max, but perhaps we are just placed in a pile with Texas St., TSU, SFA, SHSU, etc.? Why don't we give the media a reason to care and beat some teams that don't suck?

I know someone will point out how many alumni we have, but we all know how many actually care...

Hey, there's 500,000 people in this market - if we could send them posters and free tickets we'd pack the house! Maybe we could hand out Johnny Quinn/Mean Green tea bags? I know I would like one.

But you never miss a chance to try to kick someone in the balls do you? Why don't you call the AD and ask if it is a huge concern?

Support Nate Dogg.

Let me tell you a little bit about why SMU WOMENS and TCU WOMENS PRACTICE get more TV coverage than NT who has a better record.

Since TV is a visual media, it is best to have pictures to go along with a story. Simply showing a scoreboard and stating the score does not cover the visual aspect. We need video. NT needs to buy satellite time. I only know about channel 9, but they had highlights the other night because Western Kent. was smart enough to buy sat. time. I don't know if the athletic media director forwarded sat coordinates to them or not, but the fact of the matter is that a sat. feed does not ever happen unless whoever we are playing pays for it. It's only happened a couple of times this season.

Bottom line is, if you want to see Mean Green basketball, or football for that matter on local news and have games on TV then someone (alumn, school, group, whatever) needs to pay for it. If WKU can do it, then it can't be all that expensive. I think this would be a huge step to solidifying our position as "the leading university in the metroplex", and NCAA D-1. It might even help in recruiting... this is how other universities do it, use WKU as an example, or UT, or A&M, or OU.

It's not a matter of having enough cameras at the game. There are already cameras at the games for the internet feed right? The trouble is this feed is not high enough quality to be put on broadcast. So, if we are already shooting the game, why can't we send that to a satellite, or find some way to get it to a network at a quality that isn't compressed. This is why we are lumped in with TX STATE, SHSHU, UTA. It's because we continue to act and think small.

Edited by MeanMag

North Texas is a local college and the the largest in their market.

Either the infromation is not getting communicated properly, or they are refusing to report it.

If it's the first option, what corrective action needs to be taken? If it's the second, which stations, and what is their reasoning?

Either way, there has been failure in getting the scores broadcast, and it needs to get fixed if possible.

on a side note - I can't believe I'm sending a response to something named Quinn+Boner

or they are refusing to report it.

I'll say they refuse to air the info. Stations can get all the scores tailored to any group of NCAA teams they want scores on, just like we can on Yahoo, etc. They start with Pros, then Big12, then National important games, then if any leftover time, high schools and local colleges. We are 4-6 on the pecking order any given night and a W/L in the SunBelt is very minor sports news to them. Until we are in a better conference or do better in record, or attendance, or both we can expect little extra media.

Sometimes, it's not UNT, but who we associate with that keeps us down in the media's eyes. dry.gif

Edited by NT80

I'll say they refuse to air the info.  Stations can get all the scores tailored to any group of NCAA teams they want scores on, just like we can on Yahoo, etc.  They start with Pros, then Big12, then National important games, then if any leftover time, high schools and local colleges.  We are 4-6 on the pecking order any given night and a W/L in the SunBelt is very minor sports news to them.  Until we are in a better conference or do better in record, or attendance, or both we can expect little extra media. 

Sometimes, it's not UNT, but who we associate with that keeps us down in the media's eyes.  dry.gif

Not the case at all. It is a matter of what I stated earlier. No Video = no score on TV.

Not the case at all.  It is a matter of what I stated earlier.  No Video = no score on TV.

Video is a need but you could have the whole game available on video ( like the WKU game was) and the major local channels will not show any of it because it was a 25 point loss for UNT and to a team most here have never heard of. Won't happen unless it was against a Big?12 team or local school. Again, it's who we play.

Edited by NT80

Video is a need but you could have the whole game available on video ( like the WKU game was) and the major local channels will not show any of it because it was a 25 point loss for UNT and to a team most here have never heard of.  Won't happen unless it was against a Big?12 team or local school.  Again, it's who we play.

I disagree, WKU isn't that unheard of. I think it's a matter of video availability. If we were to actively help the tv stations regularly, not for just one or 2 games, then they will look our way more often. when A&M's bball game isn't on TV they get satellite time and send highlights of the game. Again, this is how NT's 1 point loss was shown on local news. Anyone else tired of us depending on other schools to get our media coverage?

Southern Illinois has a great broadcasting program, the students do the game, and one even does color. They get a sat feed and broadcast their games that way. That is SIU Salukis.

Edited by MeanMag