Leonard chooses Navy

Eagle-96

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...t.168e5c2c.html

Hebron star will attend Naval Academy

02:03 PM CST on Wednesday, January 18, 2006

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News

Hebron senior two-way starter Ryan Leonard has orally committed to the United States Naval Academy.

Leonard (6-0, 279) was a standout offensive and defensive lineman for Hebron, which won the Class 4A state championship.

Leonard, considered one of the hardest hitters on the team, was a first-team SportsDay All-Area selection on defense. He had 96 tackles (28 for losses), 18 sacks, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.

Leonard also looked at North Texas and Wyoming.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...t.168e5c2c.html

Hebron star will attend Naval Academy

02:03 PM CST on Wednesday, January 18, 2006

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News

Hebron senior two-way starter Ryan Leonard has orally committed to the United States Naval Academy.

Leonard (6-0, 279) was a standout offensive and defensive lineman for Hebron, which won the Class 4A state championship.

Leonard, considered one of the hardest hitters on the team, was a first-team SportsDay All-Area selection on defense. He had 96 tackles (28 for losses), 18 sacks, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.

Leonard also looked at North Texas and Wyoming.

If they're academy material & have that desire it's 'no contest' for most schools not just North Texas.

Edited by MeanGreen61

While it's true most people who go to Annapolis or West Point are aiming for military aspirations, don't discount the football program Navy has put together lately. Haven't they done pretty well the last few years? It's possible he was recruited.

Also know that some people aren't cut out for the military institutions. Not that I went there, but I have a little experience with the trials and tribulations of the first year at Annapolis. If your freshman year was hard at NT, you ain't seen jack compared to what those kids go through. Keep an eye on him. If he decides to bail during "Plebe Summer", which a number of kids do, we can still recruit him.

BTW the campus in Annapolis is beautiful!

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

While it's true most people who go to Annapolis or West Point are aiming for military aspirations, don't discount the football program Navy has put together lately.  Haven't they done pretty well the last few years?  It's possible he was recruited.

Also know that some people aren't cut out for the military institutions.  Not that I went there, but I have a little experience with the trials and tribulations of the first year at Annapolis.  If your freshman year was hard at NT, you ain't seen jack compared to what those kids go through.  Keep an eye on him.  If he decides to bail during "Plebe Summer", which a number of kids do, we can still recruit him. 

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

Wasn' that how we got Jason Mills?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Wasn' that how we got Jason Mills?

Jason went for a year to the Naval Academy Preparatory School in Newport, RI. If he had successfully completed that phase then he would have gone to Annapolis the following year.

As I understand it, these students are usually deficient in one or more disciplines such as physics, mathematics, information technology, etc. (I believe that there are seven or eight or these subjects.

I'm not sure whether Jason passed that prep year and decided not to pursue a military career or didn't score high enough for acceptance into the academy.

We got Ryan Davenport last year from the Air Force Prep School. Prep school graduates do not play organized football that year so they do not lose any eligibility.

While it's true most people who go to Annapolis or West Point are aiming for military aspirations, don't discount the football program Navy has put together lately.  Haven't they done pretty well the last few years?  It's possible he was recruited.

Also know that some people aren't cut out for the military institutions.  Not that I went there, but I have a little experience with the trials and tribulations of the first year at Annapolis.  If your freshman year was hard at NT, you ain't seen jack compared to what those kids go through.  Keep an eye on him.  If he decides to bail during "Plebe Summer", which a number of kids do, we can still recruit him. 

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

Sorry, not to imply that he wasn't recruited for football...but he's kind of an undersized guy that won't have much of a chance at the next level so going to Navy for a combination of football and the military makes a lot of sense. They did win a bowl game this season and got better and better as the year went on. Marcus High grad Adam Ballard (Go Marauders) was their fullback and had a hugh 2nd half of the season.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

Keep in mind that grads from service academys have active duty obligations. Doubt if playing academy football is the main reason for the choice.

The service academies all realized long ago that to compete at the Division 1 level, they could not just depend on a local congressman or senator nominating a good football player.

They recruit just as hard as anyone but, of course, do face certain issues that other colleges do not, such as a four year active duty commitment upon commissioning and graduation, high academic standards, and a demanding lifestyle at the academy. Of course, the committment obligation has been waived for certain "star" athletes such as Robinson at San Antionio.

Early on in the recruiting process, potential athletes are "sports -coded" which makes them eligible for admission which would be denied to other students. In other words, they get some special consideration.

The Prep Schools were originally intended for enlisted personnel as a means for them to get the academic training necessary for academy admission. Now they have become the place where athletes are sent to improve their grades, discipline, and personal habits in order to gain admission. The academies always hold open slots for Prep School grads, so in esssence, they are getting in the academy through the back door. And the Prep Schools do indeed play a full schedule of intercollegiate athletics against other prep schools, Jr Colleges, etc.

I recall being docked a dollar or two out of each paycheck to support Air Force Academy athletics! There were no options here. Every officer in the Air Force was docked. No wonder they have such nice facilities!

Of course, the committment obligation has been waived for certain "star" athletes such as Robinson at San Antionio.

Robinson grew substancially in height after entering the academy or he wouldn't have been accepted. He also served on active duty after graduation.

From Quick facts on David Robinson

1. Grew 7" while at the academy

2. Served 2 years on active duty

3. Has completed his Naval obligation

Open Special Tribute to David Robinson... Open Quick Facts

http://www.nba.com/spurs/history/

Edited by MeanGreen61

Well yes, he did complete his "obligation". He served on active duty for two years and then entered the Naval Reserve for the remainder of his committment. The service committment of an academy grad is five years of active duty upon graduation, then three years in the inactive reserve.

Robinson's "negotiated" obligation was a big deal within the officer corps, most of whom thought it was a scandal. Plus. his two years of active duty was primarily spent on the national basketball team plus recruiting appearances.

Even at good old North Texas State as a non-scholarship AFROTC cadet, I had a four year active duty committment upon graduation (stayed for twenty).

Having said all that, Robinson is a good man and has done much good with his foundations. I suspect if I had his talent for basketball, I may want to get out of my comittment also!

Robinson grew substancially in height after entering the academy or he wouldn't have been accepted. He also served on active duty after graduation.

From Quick facts on David Robinson

1. Grew 7" while at the academy

2. Served 2 years on active duty

3. Has completed his Naval obligation

Open Special Tribute to David Robinson... Open Quick Facts

http://www.nba.com/spurs/history/

Circumstances made the alteration of Robinson’s contract with the Navy beneficial for both parties.

His height, 7-1, made it impossible for him to serve on a ship or a submarine. It also made it dangerous for him to serve at a Naval air base. The Navy went to David after his sophomore year, when it became evident that he had NBA-type talent and made a plea to him. If he would stay in the Naval Academy and not transfer to another school, which he still could do, they would work with him on his Naval service commitment if he was drafted into the NBA.

The Naval Academy received a large amount of publicity and money from the NCAA because of Robinson and him leading them to the great 8 in his junior season. During Robinson’s career, Navy piled up a 106-25 record from 1983 to 1987 — the best-ever four-year stretch at the Academy. Included in that run was one Eastern College Athletic Conference championship, two Colonial Athletic Association titles and three-straight trips to the NCAA Tournament.

The Navy used Robinson’s unequaled popularity among High School age fans to increase the volunteer enrollment with the slender Naval officer as the center piece of the recruiting efforts.

The Navy released him of his obligations after two years because he was a prime example of what the Navy can do for someone. Enter as a normal plebe and exit as a well-respected officer and gentleman. (I know that’s corny, but it’s true).

David did more for the Navy playing his NBA career in San Antonio, a city whose life blood is the military, than he would of if served 20+ years in the service.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I wanted the record straight on Robinson.