MGR Update

Harry

Guest GrayEagleOne

Harry, I have a question.

We have several quarterback prospects that are more suited to a pro-style offense than the type that Coach Dickey runs. Why wouldn't we pursue dual type quarterbacks only? In your opinion would we consider changing our style of offense if we got the right (pro-style) quarterback?

When will we get a better idea of which prospects will be attending the banquet?

NT Official visits are as secret as committs which at this time of year we often find out about only when players commit to other schools..............

Right now I am aware of reportable 5 NT offers from players not committed. These are made by prospective players and who may or may not have been offered by NT. Another offer was reportable made to a DT who has committed to another school but is supposed to still make an official NT visit.

At this time I am aware of only 3 players who have committed to make official visits though I have seen several reports where NT is asking recruits to make official visits.

This is the time of year where we normally would expect to see some commits announced in the newspapers even with the stealth recruiting NT does. Keep an eye out and let us know when you see any commits published.

There are still over 80 prospects on our list of which I would love to see NT get about 15 of them...but who knows.

I have maintained and been flamed for saying that until DD goes the football program will only continue to fall and fail. We need someone that is willing to require excellence and also "politic" as needed to improve the program. mad.gif

Yeah, I agree.  Am I the only one who feels like we're on a slowly sinking ship that's taking on water much faster than we can bail it out?  sad.gif

I hear ya mate! That's exactly what I've been thinking and seething over for weeks now. If things go down like I believe they will, it'll take several years for us to pull out of this freakin mess. mad.gif

I hear ya mate! That's exactly what I've been thinking and seething over for weeks now. If things go down like I believe they will, it'll take several years for us to pull out of this freakin mess.

Good thing this board didn't exist in the Matt Simon days; we'd have to put most of you on suicide watch.

Good thing this board didn't exist in the Matt Simon days; we'd have to put most of you on suicide watch.

The predecessor for this board was around during Matt Simon. Matt was treated the same way that Dickey is being treated now on this board. The only difference is that Dickey actually has given us some winning seasons and four championships. Matt had the same excuses and the same lack of displine (see VCR-gate).

The predecessor for this board was around during Matt Simon.  Matt was treated the same way that Dickey is being treated now on this board.  The only difference is that Dickey actually has given us some winning seasons and four championships.  Matt had the same excuses and the same lack of displine (see VCR-gate).

VCR-gate? I sense an interesting story in our future...

VCR-gate? I sense an interesting story in our future...

Ah yes, I think we called it Towel-gate from Logan, Utah. The team went to play Utah State and all visiting teams usually stayed at a place called I believe the Bahh Motel, because they have these cute towels with embroidered sheep on them. It was always customary for guests to take/borrow a few of the towels as keepsakes. Well, as I heard it, the team checked out of the motel and went to the game. As a they're in the locker rooms, police demand that the players luggage be unloaded and checked for stolen items from the motel. Apparently a few players decided to also borrow VCRs and other items. cool.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

The predecessor for this board was around during Matt Simon.  Matt was treated the same way that Dickey is being treated now on this board.  The only difference is that Dickey actually has given us some winning seasons and four championships.  Matt had the same excuses and the same lack of displine (see VCR-gate).

Yep, and Matt didn't last but four years and he was gone (thankfully). He was also working with an AD and administration that was adversarial. Yet, he had a better winning percentage than DD does after eight years. Okay, it's only .001 but that's still better.

As to championships, that had a lot to do with the conference. Simon did have one championship (Southland). If you want to compare apples with apples, both coached in the Big West; two for Simon and three for Dickey. Their conference records: Simon 5-5 .500; Dickey 5-11 .313. Their out-of-conference records: Simon 4-8 .333; Dickey 3-14 .176.

Two other points in Simon's favor: I never heard him admit defeat before the game was played and he didn't try to pit the team (or himself) against the fans.

No argument here on the lack of discipline though.

Yep, and Matt didn't last but four years and he was gone (thankfully).  He was also working with an AD and administration that was adversarial.  Yet, he had a better winning percentage than DD does after eight years.  Okay, it's only .001 but that's still better. 

As to championships, that had a lot to do with the conference.  Simon did have one championship (Southland).  If you want to compare apples with apples, both coached in the Big West; two for Simon and three for Dickey.  Their conference records:  Simon  5-5  .500;  Dickey  5-11  .313.   Their out-of-conference records:  Simon  4-8  .333;  Dickey  3-14  .176. 

Two other points in Simon's favor:  I never heard him admit defeat before the game was played and he didn't try to pit the team (or himself) against the fans.

No argument here on the lack of discipline though.

Good post, GrayEagleOne...

.....................................................................................................

REVISED/UPDATED (with corrected spelling) FOR TUESDAY/JANUARY 10'TH.......................(Dont read this manifesto if you have hypertension problems--in fact, don't read this if you have potential hypertension problems). In fact, some of you---don't read this at all, because you are probably too far gone with DD Ball and UNT staying at the top of the SBC (but at the Bottom of NCAA D1-A).

......................................................................................................

I knew this would turn into some semblance of a popularity contest based on emotions and "feel sorry'isms" for Dickey but what the hell, he says this is what he gets everyday in Denton anyway because he works here everyday, right? Is that really his quote? How many of you, fellow Mean Green fans/NT Exes had those same "feeling sorry'isms" for DD when he was burning yours, our MG fans and NT Exes buns non-stop on radio broadcasts for 4 plus years runnning (and with a Chairman of our NT BOR's apparently approving every bit of that uncalled for broadcasted to the Metroplex crapola because he never one time took the initiative to ever stop it)?

Nice little country club environment we taxpayers seem to be supporting up there in Denton these days, eh? Ask one of our coach's whose been up there 17 years and is still under .500 if she would ever apply for another job (since other higher profile schools have never seemed to inquire about her) with all the little or none expections expected from her in SEVENTEEN years, folks! }:>) (Does this make you all feel confident of NT leadership when this kind of thing is allowed and then they budget millions and expect us to give hundreds of thousand$ to every year)? BULLSHIP!

ANYWAY..........even when the Green Brigade (once again) strikes up "Happy Times Are Here Again" assuming DD has brought this thing "all the way back to the top of the SBC/Bottom 10,"; anyway, even then we are still not going to be anywhere close to smelling Top 25 rankings and just what can we base that on you might ask? (See next paragraph)..................

? ? ? ? How about in 4 bowl trips by NT that we never in any of those 4 trips not one time ever got close to that elite NCAA D1-A level that they call Top 25? Usually if your school's football team goes to 4 bowl games in a row, you'd think even in just one of those 4 years a school would be getting pretty close to gaining Top 25 status, right????...........Not ! ! ! ! AND...............if we are not shooting for Top 25 rankings at UNT, then.....................what the hell are we shootin' for?

LOOKING FORWARD TO & SHOOTIN' FOR WHAT YOU SAY? At Mean Green Club Med doesn't it seem are we just merely all about even more DD Ball and:

(1) "Always" 15K+/- per home gave average because all the new, casuals or borderline fans can't get enthused about DD Ball to this day which keeps us at that 15K +/- per home game average--EVEN AFTER 4 FREAKIN' BOWL GAMES, FOLKS)?

(2) Do we have more totally unnecessary (at our level) contract extensions to look forward to which now has us land-locked into having to accept SBC mediocrity when we could be doing better with fresh new direction;

(3) Now we even have "Discipline Gone Wild" from some NT players (and now even some NT staffers atttacking NT Exes/Mean Green fans verbally)--can we look forward to even more of that? Some of it I think we can.

(4) Better Havana cigar imports for cigar-chompin' and "DD NT career continue'er" Bobby Ray,

(5) Invites to an elitist social or snob-fest led by "private schooled" Chancellor Lee Jackson (creator of "basically" skewed public opinon polls which will for sure be made to suit his personal agenda (which is mostly UNT-Dalla$-----------BTW as all of us who graduated from ol' Main campus observe what should be our Big D monies now diverterted away from Little D (and probably a future new football stadium if truth be known); AND...........with ol' CJ the "non Phd" Judge himself, you know, the King of Stick Figures or Branding at UNT? Is this all we really have to look forward to every year now at UNT? (Well if so, can you say........B-O-R-I-N-G or even...............'see ya' later, NT State)? ? ? ?

Well, quite frankly, Top 25 still sounds more intriguing and something a hellvua' lot more worth investing into that will have more far-reaching results than anything we presently have going on in Mean Green football. (See NT recruiting lists for example or "local" Top 50 or 100 lists--we are being duped, folks, while our Nero plays his fiddle and smokes his Havanas).

Question still remains as to when do all those in high leadership positions at UNT finally grow some gonads, grab the bull by the horns and just step out now to make some important (timely) decisions on all this charade that has even fooled a few on this message board? Have our top leaders at UNT even forgotten to look at their Special Edition copies of the 2005 NT Football Media Guide to see what the real facts will tell them? What will they do when they finally see thru the the green-tinted shroud of thick fog?

AGAIN all you Doubting Thomases (who really became one of the good guys even after his own personal doubting): But again, read your 2005 NT Football Media Guide and simply see who we lost to (insert sublimenal 1-AA schools) in most our bowl years and then come back on this board and tell the rest of us all this is worth perpetrating yet another year or 2 when we could have a fresh new start toward (finally) building something that will land our most deserving football program into Top 25 rankings (not just at the Top of the SBC and being nowhere close to the Top 25). Are Top 25 rankings only resereved for non BCS schools like UTEP and TCU here in the Lone Star State? I don't think so and I'd bet you don't think so, either.

This is all so very simple to see if one will only take the green-tinted glasses off for a few minutes and merely take a closer look at all this, but I'm sure we've all been guilty of stumbling over simplicity at one time or another in our lives, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen