2006 starters?

Norwester

Guest GrayEagleOne

One of the rating services (Massey) has us #99 in the country and 4th in the SBC. Right now, that's hard to argue with.

Our offensive line and quarterback positions should be better next year. If JT's healthy (and stays healthy), no problem at running back. Who knows if we'll even use a fullback? Tight end is a question mark. Receivers are a strength. With the exception of Chapman at DE the defensive line looks pretty weak. Linebacking will be better, maybe even much better, next year. Weathers is solid at safety but the other three defensive backs are unknown. We lost both placekickers and don't know who'll replace them.

As to scout team members who will step up, we can only speculate. It is believed that OL Ajani Banks, DBs Antoine Bush, Korey Washington, Arthur Stubblefield and possibly DB Kartey Agbottah and LB Tobe Nwigwe have the best chance for playing time. The only true freshmen with much of chance at playing will be a kicker and hopefully, a defensive tackle.

There always seem to be a few surprises on players that won't be returning but none that expected to start or backup.

One of the rating services (Massey) has us #99 in the country and 4th in the SBC.  Right now, that's hard to argue with.

Our offensive line and quarterback positions should be better next year.  If JT's healthy (and stays healthy), no problem at running back.  Who knows if we'll even use a fullback?  Tight end is a question mark.  Receivers are a strength.  With the exception of Chapman at DE the defensive line looks pretty weak.  Linebacking will be better, maybe even much better, next year.  Weathers is solid at safety but the other three defensive backs are unknown.  We lost both placekickers and don't know who'll replace them.

As to scout team members who will step up, we can only speculate.  It is believed that OL Ajani Banks, DBs Antoine Bush, Korey Washington, Arthur Stubblefield and possibly DB Kartey Agbottah and LB Tobe Nwigwe have the best chance for playing time.  The only true freshmen with much of chance at playing will be a kicker and hopefully, a defensive tackle.

There always seem to be a few surprises on players that won't be returning but none that expected to start or backup.

We have that same rating with Howell

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2006.htm

Guest GrayEagleOne

Not enough. Actually, he was listed at 275 last year but he did look like he could carry another 20 pounds easily. Let's hope he bulks up over the off-season.

One note on Miller - he was a high school pitcher, actually a pretty good one and thus never was available to lift weights in the Spring. When he got to UNT, he had not ever , I repeat ever lifted weights. So the potential is there - it is up to him.

One note on Miller - he was a high school pitcher, actually a pretty good one and thus never was available to lift weights in the Spring.  When he got to UNT, he had not ever , I repeat ever lifted weights.  So the potential is there - it is up to him.

....there's also the factor of the coach's expectations.

Edited by SilverEagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

H-town

Both Rivals and TexPrepXtra have Carlson listed as a defensive tackle. I don't know if this is a mistake on their part or correct information provided by either UNT or Carlson. They should know that he played TE at Kilgore.

I too noticed that and made me scratch my head. He may have played both because I remember hearing that he had something like 5 catches last year. Either way all he is going to be used as is an extra linemen. And at 280 he is bigger than a few of our linemen. Hey why not go ahead and put on the extra 15-20 lbs and turn him into a tackle. That is the new thing that alot of major D-1 schools are doing. Taking big tight-ends bulking them up and moving them to the line. Then you have more athletic linemen who can get out front and block. Anyone think that this is what DD has in mind for him?