NT beats SFA

CMJ

The Sturns behind-the-back pass to Simpson for a dunk-a-lunk was pretty sweet.

IMO, we were better then what the score indicated. Had SFA not had all those threes and we worked the painted harder, I think the margin of victory would have been wider.

Hopefully we'll make some real noise come conference action.

Edited by UNTFan23

UNT tops SFA

11:56 PM CST on Friday, December 30, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON - Jeffrey Simpson scored a season-high 21 points and moved into third place on the Mean Green's career blocked shots list in UNT's 81-75 victory over Stephen F. Austin on Friday night at the Super Pit.

UNT (6-4) scored 54 points in the paint and held Stephen F. Austin (7-3) to 32 behind Simpson's four blocked shots. UNT's frontcourt helped the Mean Green overcome a 1-for-14 shooting night from 3-point range.

Backup power forward Harold Stewart had a career-high 16 points, and starting power forward Quincy Williams added 12.

Marcus Clark scored 23 points for SFA.

Lumberjacks coach Danny Kaspar, who played for UNT from 1977-78, made his first appearance at the Super Pit as SFA's head coach. Kaspar is in his sixth season with the Lumberjacks.

North Texas 81, Stephen F. Austin 75

STEPHEN F. AUSTIN (7-3)–Miller 1-10 3-4 5, Paez 6-12 4-5 16, Alexander 6-12 5-5 20, Clark 8-12 5-6 23, Hardaway 0-2 0-0 0, Fonzie 1-4 0-0 3, Dykes 0-3 2-2 2, Henry 0-1 0-2 0, Hastings 1-2 0-0 2, Kingsley 1-3 2-3 4. Totals 24-61 21-27 75.

NORTH TEXAS (6-4)–Williams 5-6 2-2 12, Simpson 10-14 1-2 21, Davis 3-11 3-4 10, Hines 2-4 0-0 4, Watson 2-7 2-2 6, Brown 1-3 0-1 2, Sturns 4-6 0-0 8, Young 0-0 0-0 0, Edwards 0-3 0-0 0, Stewart 6-7 4-7 16, Howerton 1-1 0-0 2. Totals 34-62 12-18 81.

Halftime–Tied 36-36. 3-point goals–SFA 6-21 (Miller 0-3, Paez 0-3, Alexander 3-6, Clark 2-4, Hardaway 0-1, Fonzie 1-3, Dykes 0-1), UNT 1-14 (Davis 1-6, Hines 0-2, Watson 0-2, Brown 0-1, Sturns 0-2, Edwards 0-1). Fouled out–Williams. Rebounds– SFA 37 (Paez 8), UNT 37 (Simpson 7). Assists–SFA 13 (Paez 4), UNT 16 (Sturns 6). Total fouls–SFA 20, UNT 21. A– 1,338.

Denton Record-Chronicle

Alarming stat of the night:

3-point goals–UNT 1-14 (Davis 1-6, Hines 0-2, Watson 0-2, Brown 0-1, Sturns 0-2, Edwards 0-1).

That kind of accuracy could possibly jump up and nip this team in important games.

Some of them were forced mad.gif I am afraid they are in love with the triple - tonight it didn't love them back.

Some of them were forced  mad.gif  I am afraid they are in love with the triple - tonight it didn't love them back.

As I said in my opinions of the Houston game and I'll say it again, a team that is in love with the 3-ball will be tempted to start heaving them up when the game is close and there is little time left. It can only lead to undisciplined offense down the stretch.

Is the Saturday, Feb 4 game against New Orleans scheduled to be played in Tyler Texas?

Since there surely can't be too many UNO fans in Tyler, could this game be moved to the Super Pit? The game could be used as a fundriser for UNOs post-Katrina rebuilding efforts with all ticket procedes going to UNO.

One other note from last night's game from the SFA page:

The Lumberjacks were 24-of-61 (39 percent) from the floor and neutralized North Texas on the glass with 37 rebounds, but SFA couldn't slow down the UNT offense, which shot 34-of-62 (55 percent) from the field, despite hitting only 1-of-14 three-point field-goal attempts. The Mean Green also gained a huge advantage in the low post, outscoring SFA, 54-32 in the paint.

North Texas shot an amazing 33 of 48 (68%) from inside the 3 point arc.

Wow!

Guest e-bone

I couldn't understand why we didn't keep pounding it into the post. When SFA made their runs to keep the game close it was because we were jacking 3s and not trying to get the ball in the paint.

And once again we struggled from the FT line. We were 12-18 for 66.7% while SFA was 21-27 for 77.8%.

I couldn't understand why we didn't keep pounding it into the post. When SFA made their runs to keep the game close it was because we were jacking 3s and not trying to get the ball in the paint.

And once again we struggled from the FT line. We were 12-18 for 66.7% while SFA was 21-27 for 77.8%.

If I was going to point to a stat every season that costs us wins that stat is how bad JJs teams are at free throws. He needs to take a page from Don Nelson's teams and hire a free throw coach. A few more makes could have turned the aTm and the Houston games in our favor.