corbin epps (Corbin Jarrell Montgomery)

new_mexico_lobo

I was wondering what ever happened to Corbin Epps? I know he played football for University of New Mexico (around 1994) and for North Texas (around 1997). I haven't heard anything else about him since about 1997. Did he continue to play for North Texas? Did he graduate? Is he coaching somewhere now or speaking out on child (sexual) abuse? Just wondering if he ever lost his "mean streak"?

Yes, Corbin continued to play for North Texas and played as long as his eligibility allowed. He earned all-big-west honors as a DE in 1999. I believe that he plays for either an arena, or a semi-pro football team somewhere in the Northeast.

I believe that Corbin graduated and has his degree. I believe that he is also married.

As far as his "mean streak", he never lost it when he was out on the field. He is often listed on all-time North Texas teams when fans on the board start a thread on that subject.

Before he left North Texas, Corbin changed his name back to his birth name "Montgomery". Epps was the name given to him when he was adopted. I have read that Corbin has made contact with his birth mother, and has re-established a relationship with her.

I often wish that we had more players on our team with Corbin's "intensity". But I would never wish Corbin's "situation" growing up (which fueled his anger/mean streak) on anyone.

Guest JohnDenver

Thanks for the updates.  I was a supporter of him in New Mexico and wanted great things to come to him.  I just never heard anything else about him after North Texas.

I swear that I read he was playing in the AFL, but I can't find anything on it anymore.

I swear that I read he was playing in the AFL, but I can't find anything on it anymore.

He is/was playing in the AFL. He converted to Islam and changed his name to Umar Muhammad.

He was with Tampa Bay last year. Click on his name for his career AFL stats.