Phillips Gives UNT Offense Some Spark

MeanGreen61

Brett Vito: Phillips gives UNT offense some spark

08:25 AM CST on Monday, November 14, 2005

Brett Vito

North Texas quarterback Matt Phillips did his share of pacing the sideline Saturday afternoon during the Mean Green’s game against Florida Atlantic.

Mostly, though, he just sat and watched until the fourth quarter.

What he did from then on made one wonder if he shouldn’t be doing a little more.

Phillips came off of the bench ice cold in the Mean Green’s game against the Owls but looked like he had been playing on a regular basis all season. The former San Angelo Lake View standout threw for 138 yards and a touchdown in the final period, led the Mean Green on three scoring drives and nearly rallied a floundering UNT squad to victory.

Phillips’ outing ranks as one of the most impressive performances by a UNT player in a season filled with inept offensive showings.

“That is tough to do when you come in cold and haven’t played a whole lot during the season,” UNT coach Darrell Dickey said of Phillips’ performance. “We needed someone to make plays throwing the ball. He did a very nice job.”

Phillips only had the opportunity because redshirt freshman Daniel Meager was knocked out of the game with a concussion late in the third quarter. At that point, UNT was down 17-6 and scored its only touchdown on a blocked punt.

Phillips didn’t complete a pass on his first drive, but was on fire from then on out.

The freshman went 3 for 5 for 50 yards on his second series and scored on a 5-yard run.

Two plays later, he zinged a pass down the middle of the field for a 53-yard touchdown to Joel Nwigwe. Phillips was also on the field for a 45-yard drive that resulted in a game-tying field goal and a 30-yard drive in the final 1:38 that set kicker Nick Bazaldua for a 47-yard field goal that could have tied the game.

That fact Bazaldua missed the kick shouldn’t detract from what Phillips accomplished.

UNT entered the game averaging just 96.9 passing yards a game.

Phillips surpassed that total in a quarter.

“It gave me confidence,” Phillips said of his performance. “It’s a little different from going in when it’s a blowout. The confidence level was awesome. I enjoyed being out there.”

The blame for what went on in the first few games of the season shouldn’t all go to Meager. UNT’s offensive line hasn’t given him a lot of time to throw and its receivers have dropped a few key passes.

Meager showed signs of improvement when he threw for 112 yards in a loss to Louisiana-Lafayette last week.

Despite that progress, UNT seems unsettled on a quarterback heading into next season. Dickey said in the week leading up to Saturday’s game that Meager needed to continue to improve and make plays if he wants to be the Mean Green’s quarterback of the future.

Meager finished with 49 yards passing on 18 attempts and didn’t make many of the plays UNT needs against FAU.

Phillips did and deserves to have a chance to enter what could turn into an interesting race for the starting quarterback job next season. Meager has impressed the Mean Green’s coaches at times and will have his opportunities to rebound after a tough outing against FAU.

Joey Byerly could also return next season. He was expected to start this year, but is out for the year with academic problems.

Carson Coffman, a senior from Peculiar, Mo., has ties with Dickey and has already visited UNT’s campus. Rivals.com ranks Coffman No. 25 among players in Missouri. He could also be in the mix if he decides to play for the Mean Green.

All three of those players have greater high school credentials than Phillips, a player UNT signed late from a small West Texas school.

For a while, it looked like Phillips would fade into the background after a quick start in two-a-day practices at the beginning of the season. Meager won the starting job after Phillips tailed off.

If Saturday’s game is any indication, Phillips has come a long way since then.

“I believe in the team and they believe in me,” Phillips said. “I know my role with the team. Daniel is the starter. I am just doing his duties right now while he is recovering.”

Phillips couldn’t have picked a classier thing to say after the game. He looked confident and competent after spending less than a year at UNT and receiving minimal practice time as a backup.

Phillips’ performances makes one wonder what he could do with additional time on the field, not to mention time to settle in during spring practice.

Could Phillips build on his performance against FAU and translate a solid fourth quarter against an Owls defense in prevent mode into a solid career under center for the Mean Green?

There is only one way to find out and that is to play him.

UNT has two games left to find out what it has in Phillips. The opportunity is one the Mean Green can’t let slip away.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

Edited by MeanGreen61

“I believe in the team and they believe in me,” Phillips said. “I know my role with the team. Daniel is the starter. I am just doing his duties right now while he is recovering.”

Phillips couldn’t have picked a classier thing to say after the game. He looked confident and competent after spending less than a year at UNT and receiving minimal practice time as a backup.

If Phillips is on the field, and the team responds, then it should seem obvious he needs to start. I also think it says a lot that the team believes in him.

I also think it says a lot about his ability with him being a TRUE Freshman to come onto the field like that and make things happen when he's had so little practice/play time.

Do ya'll think that the team has given up on Meager and that's why he doesn't talk to them? I know that it's his job to lead the team, but maybe the team is lost with him and they just responded to the new guy, whoever it was.

Not sure if the team has given up on Meager or not. But after last weeks performance by phillips, he has earned the right to start for the rest of the season. Just think if we had come back and won that game...Meager would not ever see the field again. In my opinion, I think Phillips should start, otherwise, if Meager gets hurt for an extended period next year we are in the same situation.

Let see what Phillips can do for an entire game...I also would like to mention that if anyone on this site thinks that Phillips is gonig to come in a light the world on fire youre dead wrong...remember he's 9 months out of high school, he will make mistakes-its how he recovers from those mistakes.

As far as the Vito story...if Joey Byerly comes back and is given a chance to compete at QB I will just DIE!!! This guy is not equipped to be a QB...he may have the body for it, but not the mind. Congrats Joey, youre a fullback now, or a DE...some other position, just not QB. NT can't afford to have a someone lead the team who has classroom issues.

My vote for next year is for someone who is not even on the team now. My first choice would be Carson Coffman, he prolly will choose a higher profile BCS school. Or go the Juco route. I'm sure there are plenty of Juco QB's who would want to come in here and play. Especially with some of the weapons we have on offense.

MP had better start, regardless of DM's injury status. Truth is, he kicked the team into gear and produced more in one quarter than DM has in most of his games. He might not be the man to lead the team, but we won't know unless we let him try. We've put DM at the helm and we've seen that he has potential, but hasn't used it all. We've see that MP has potential, and we have yet to see how much he's using.