We are a young team

MeanGreen61

If I see the 'we are a young team' excuse one more time......user posted imageuser posted image

There are OTHER 'young team' playing much better football. One that comes to mind is Marshall. Another Navy.

Preperation, desire and leadership overcome and trump youth in a team. It's being/been proven by others.

Another is Boise State, and they're still 5-1 in conference play.

Speaking of Boise St, did anyone notice that their conference game winning streak came to an end?  If DD and his staff had taken care of business, guess who would have owned the longest conference winning streak in the NATION.  hmmmm, I have a guess.

At first I would say you're trying too hard to blame Dickey, but all 3 losses in conference have been by 3 points, so you're probably right.

I may have lost count by now, seems it's been forever since I last did it. But at the start of the season I counted 12 offensive players that had starts under their belts. 151 games started in all.

But on defense one publication stated we were the third youngest defense nationally. But I count 6 players, including 4 LB's and two DB's who had started before. Is that right?

Holman, Monroe, Graves, Mendoza, Branch and Covington all have starts prior to the season. Did Weathers start last year anytime? Obviously replacing all of your front four hurts. I'm not sure if Sky Pruitt got any starts at DT last year or not? But he and Chris Miller and Hutchinson did rotate last year so it's not like they are true freshman. Both have played in the combined 11 years they have been here. So if you go by experience and starts you get 21 players that started or rotated last year. I know we have some young people like true freshman Steve Warren and Matt Phillips playing, but I have never bought into the overall youth excuse.

After this season we lose May, Covington, Branch, Miller and Hutchinson. Here's hoping that the other 17 are able to work and improve during Spring for next season.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Up the middle has been DD's concept on 1st and on 3rd for 8 years. It didn't work then and will not work now since everybody knows what the play call will be. Disgusted with the poor coaching -- the players are only doing what they are told.

I may have lost count by now, seems it's been forever since I last did it.  But at the start of the season I counted 12 offensive players that had starts under their belts.  151 games started in all.

But on defense one publication stated we were the third youngest defense nationally.  But I count 6 players, including 4 LB's and two DB's who had started before.  Is that right?

Holman, Monroe, Graves, Mendoza, Branch and Covington all have starts prior to the season.  Did Weathers start last year anytime?  Obviously replacing all of your front four hurts.  I'm not sure if Sky Pruitt got any starts at DT last year or not?  But he and Chris Miller and Hutchinson did rotate last year so it's not like they are true freshman.  Both have played in the combined 11 years they have been here.  So if you go by experience and starts you get 21 players that started or rotated last year.   I know we have some young people like true freshman Steve Warren and Matt Phillips playing, but I have never bought into the overall youth excuse.

After this season we lose May, Covington, Branch, Miller and Hutchinson.  Here's hoping that the other 17 are able to work and improve during Spring for next season.

Rick

Mendoza isn't playing. Holman's only significant playing time was in the NOB. Branch started on offense for three years, Miller played behind Cardwell and Pruitt, while Hutchinson could not beat out Tommy Harrison, who many on this board considered the worst DE in the nation last year.

I for one will not miss Covington, Branch or Hutchinson at all. They are personal fouls waiting to happen. If Covington had any asperations of playing in the NFL, they disappeared in the opener when MuTs burned him over & over.

Not trying to make excuses, I agree WE JUST AREN'T VERY GOOD!!!

Edited by GreenBat

Mendoza isn't playing. Holman's only significant playing time was in the NOB. Branch started on offense for three years, Miller played behind Cardwell and Pruitt, while Hutchinson could not beat out Tommy Harrison, who many on this board considered the worst DE in the nation last year.

I for one will not miss Covington, Branch or Hutchinson at all. They are personal fouls waiting to happen. If Covington had any asperations of playing in the NFL, they disappeared in the opener when MuTs burned him over & over.

Not trying to make excuses, I agree WE JUST AREN'T VERY GOOD!!!

So who is responsible for bringing these guys in? Who is responsible for assessing talent and approving the move to offering an athletic scholarship? Only one person comes to mind.........

Guest JohnDenver

Covington is a quality player. He didn't get burned in the MTSU game... He and Branch had a solid showing that game. True, he has a severe lack of desire when push comes to shove and there isn't much on the line. Sometimes it takes an inspiring coach/staff to light the fire on your butt. I think he is a solid JUCO recruit. I am happy he is wearing the good guys uniform in Green.

Hutch is light and had a lot of potential. It is a shame he hasn't amounted to much. I am not sure of the story behind him.

It doesn't seem the staff develops talent once they sign here. Perhaps that is the problem? This young team excuse may be true. They may not mature in practice or the film room ... who to blame for that?

It is a terrible season, no doubt. I am sad for Cobbs mainly -- and my Christmas plans are now shot wink.gif

I am still mixed if Dickey is to blame (he is ultimately) or if his staff is.

We have had a lot of turnover. K-Mart and cocaine/stripper incident. Our RB coach left. A dude from a TERRIBLE Army team took his place. DeLoach left and Evans took over. It seems that we lose coaches and just plug in the types of dudes that do odd jobs well, but don't develop. We need better hiring practices... I know, I know ... we don't pay well enough to attract talented coaches. I don't buy it. It would take some work to find them, but they are out there. There are tons of young coaches that would sell their children to get a chance to coach at a D1a school.