Spread Offense: A Scout's View

LongJim

He touched on the fact you can do "More with Less" with this type of offense. That's what schools like BG and Boise have been able to do running an offense like this. Leach's system is a bit extreme, IMO, but anything that gives an undermanned offense an edge is a good thing.

UNT wants to run smashmouth football but don't have the personnel to run it consistantly against opponents of equal talent or better.

With a red shirt freshman starting QB and a true freshman backing him up, I don't think a spread offense is a good idea. Especially if you've seen how many passes hit our receivers in the hands and get dropped!

Yes, DD probalby should have recruited a better QB to give these guys some time to mature, but they don't just grow on trees. And nothing can be done about that right now anyway - we have to play with who we have.

I'm not sure what to do now with what we have. I'm hoping a for some better and faster reads by both QBs and receivers.

To fans, it appears exciting and ingenious but in reality it gives them a chance to compete with a lesser level of player, which is what you want at a Texas Tech.

I'd take that any day and worry about winning against top 25 teams later. Right now we all would settle for us to just be competitive against those schools, which Tech has not had a problem with.

With a red shirt freshman starting QB and a true freshman backing him up, I don't think a spread offense is a good idea.

How could we possibly do any worse than being ranked 119th out of 119 other offenses? Besides, no one would expect us to just change to it this season, but rather start working on it under a new OC in the future. And we would rarely have to start a freshmen QB because due to the interest in Tech's system from passing highschool talent, they always seem to have a stable of QB's who are willing to go to Lubbotocks and wait their turn while learning it. Tech has started 3 different seniors the past three years. We on the other hand are on our 3rd freshman/redshirt freshman in 6.

Houston runs a similar offense to Techs'. In fact, their coach, Art Briles was utilizing his similar system at Stephenville High School before Leach was. Briles seems to be more balanced. For instance, Houston had 45 carries racking up 200 yards rushing while passing for 276 against the same Tulsa team that held us to 129 yards total.

By the way, Leach was the OC at Kentucky under NMSU's Hal Mumme when they had all that great success in the late 90's.

Thanks for the info LongJim

Rick

With a red shirt freshman starting QB and a true freshman backing him up, I don't think a spread offense is a good idea. Especially if you've seen how many passes hit our receivers in the hands and get dropped!

Yes, DD probalby should have recruited a better QB to give these guys some time to mature, but they don't just grow on trees. And nothing can be done about that right now anyway - we have to play with who we have.

I'm not sure what to do now with what we have. I'm hoping a for some better and faster reads by both QBs and receivers.

If our O was more creative would we have landed the JC QB who ended up at Neb.?