Patrick Cobbs

Cerebus

Patrick Cobbs is doing an amazing job. A couple of things are obscuring that, first the offense, as a unit, has struggled quite a bit. Second, people are concerned that Jamario isnt getting as many carries as he should.

To the first point I can only say that there is only so much one player can do, and as for the second, I think Jamario is a little banged up right now, and he will get his carries. He'll probably get them later in the season when Patrick has some injuries, becasue right now he is a machine:

Rushing Yards: 203

This stat is really amazing. Patrick has gained 220 yards and lost only 17, which is amazing when you consider our opponents have racked up 22 tackles for loss.

He averaged 5.9 yards a rush versus Tulsa. You take that average, you throw in a little passing, you take away all the holds, and offsides, and delays of games and personal fouls, and you have a game, not a blow out.

203 is even more amazing when you realize we have only been able to throw for 181 yards in the air.

Total Offense: 203

"Total Offense" is yards rushing + yards passing. The next highest player is Meager with 139.

Patrick has 203 of the 403 Total Offense yards the team has compiled this year.

All Purpise Yards: 338

"All Purpose" yards are those gain by rushing, recieving, punt/kick returns and Interception returns.

Next player is Johnny Quinn with 125. Patrick has 338 of the 714 All Purpose yards the team has gained in 2005.

The ugly part of this is Patrick also leads the team in receptions, and is tied with Maurice Holman as the top scorer. In fact the defense has scored 9 points to the offense's 7.

I have to add I also have seen Cobbs destroy more than one would be pass rusher.

NFL teams are you listening?

He catches, he blocks, he returns, he plays special teams, he blocks punts and makes thousands of julian frys!

What would you expect to pay for this? Two first round draft picks? No!

One first round draft pick and having to go on a cross country road trip in a 1967 VW beetle with Randy Moss, Terrell Owen John Rocker? No!

Would you believe one second day draft pick?!

Hurry! Act Now! Rumors are that Jerry Jones is working on a huge trade package with all the other 31 NFL owners that will see him give away the Cowboys first round draft pick for the next twenty years, in return for 57 picks in rounds 2-4, the #7 pick in next years Arena League draft, and Bill Cowher's mustache.

It's really an amazing trade.

I know that JT may still be hurt. But if we are not going to redshirt him, then line them both up in a split backfield. Even if you only give JT 1 out of 10 carries, the denfense having to key in on PC, JT, and JQ will be too much. They will be spread too thin and somebody will break a big play. Since our line has some improving to do, having your weapons out there will take some of the heat off of PC.

If the O-Line can gel, then I think we will explode on yards. J-Mo will start producing and Cobbs can continue what he is doing. And of course Johnny "I Make Next to Impossible Catches" Quinn can chip in as well. But I agree Cobbs is doing quite well.

But my plea is this. COME ON O-LINE!! START BLOCKING AND START BLOCKING NOW!!! That is all...I am done! biggrin.gif

If the O-Line can gel, then I think we will explode on yards. J-Mo will start producing and Cobbs can continue what he is doing. And of course Johnny "I Make Next to Impossible Catches" Quinn can chip in as well. But I agree Cobbs is doing quite well.

But my plea is this. COME ON O-LINE!! START BLOCKING AND START BLOCKING NOW!!! That is all...I am done!

DD usually palys 5 lineman, and one tight end; that means that you have asked them to block at most 5 defenders. If they are playing 8 men in the box, that leaves 3 un-blocked defenders on every play.

No matter how well our O-line blocks, the field must be spread out. To get those defenders away from the line of scrimmage.

That starts with the Qb, and the play calling.

DD usually palys 5 lineman, and one tight end; that means that you have asked them to block at most 5 defenders. If they are playing 8 men in the box, that leaves 3 un-blocked defenders on every play.

No matter how well our O-line blocks, the field must be spread out. To get those defenders away from the line of scrimmage.

That starts with the Qb, and the play calling.

Yup!

Rick

Actually with the one tightend set your looking at 6 blockers blocking 8. But Tulsa had 9 many times so you had 6 blocking 9 at times. Send the tightend out for a pass, now your down to 8. Send either of the two backs out in motion and your down to 7. Still you have 5 blocking 7. However if they choose to send seven, which would be stupid, you have single coverage on Quinn, Muzzy, Davidson and SPJMo.

Advantage: Mean Green!

Rick

Well, excuse me, that would be stupid if your playing Texas, or Texas Tech or UC Davis. They're QB's throw strikes all around the field. With us, we throw into the flat behind the line of scrimmage or a hail mary down the sidelines, forcing us to beat them with the run most times. And it's not worked now three games straight for us, time to change just a bit. My 2 cents again.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

---It is not reasonable to blame the O-line when they are outnumbered. But when that happens it means there have got to be some receivers somewhere that are not covered (at least not very well). THROW quickly but obviously not very deep (takes too much time with linemen outnumbered) and not to the side behind the line of scrimmage (that doesn't back the defense off at all). Once they get burned a few times, they will likely back off. But first you have to have such plays in the play-book available to use.

---If our strength really is the running game we should run the "majority" of the time on first down then once that done then make whatever decision makes sense with the yards remaining as a guide. If they want to stack the line of scrimmage then use those short and quick passes to back them off. For heavens sake, don't repeatedly pass to players behind the line of scrimmage and take losses.

--My number one pet peeve is all those penalities...... especially the unsportsmanlike calls, they are not funny and they kill drives. Coaches can pull players and make their life miserable during the week for committing those if they will. They may not completely stop but there will be less. Every year in the past 3-4 years I have seen a ton of them and there do not seem to be getting any less. Coaches can somewhat control this and just not tolerate it. When your penalty yards almost match your offensive yards it is unbelievable. If you throw in the "gained yards" that where lost as penality yards, we had even fewer offensive yards than penality yards.

---I do not like to lose but can accept it if the other team is just better..... we just gave this one away.... penalties and dumb plays called including no one back on what seemed like obvious punting downs. We were complete suckers on those. We used about no passes that were the 5-10 kind, just long ones and dump-offs in the back-field....In New Orleans there were almost no short passes thrown either, to back up the defense and to allow the running game a chance.

---The last several FFR and Ken posts have it absolutely right.... throw fast and back them off, give the O-line a chance and allow the running game a prayer of success. There has to be some receivers not covered with that much pressure up front. Get some quick short passes in the play-book if there aren't any.

if you guys remember before the Scott Hall days, every single team that we played against would use and 8 man front. It is impossible for the line to do their job bc they are outnumbered. It is so frustrating when you see all the linemen actually blocking someone, but there are still two guys in the backfield on almost every play. Without the threat of a passing game, this is going to happen all year long. Meager doesnt have to be great, but he at least has to be serviceable and be able to hit a couple of long throws during a game, just to keep the defenses honest

if you guys remember before the Scott Hall days, every single team that we played against would use and 8 man front.

They stacked the line in the Scott Hall days too. The offense looking like this is not new. Remember the FAU (3.2 ypc) and 2nd half of Baylor (30 total yards in the second half) last year? Those are not teams that should do that to us (just like Tulsa), but without Jamario turning a poorly executed play into an ESPN highlight, that's been our offense lately. Be patient, once we get to SBC play and our line starts to move people a little and Quinn can go up and get every ball lofted into the air, everything will be just fine again.

--My number one pet peeve is all those penalities...... especially the unsportsmanlike calls, they are not funny and they kill drives.  Coaches can pull players and make their life miserable during the week for committing those if they will. 

Yes, yes, yes. If you sit anywhere in the eastern half of the pressbox side, you probably heard me yell at Dickey on every personal foul. Well, every one until the end of the third quarter, when I LEFT.

I did read a quote from his post-game press conference saying that he needed to do a better job of "teaching the rules," as well as a few other strong words about it. It sounded good enough that I'm giving him a 1-game reprieve from getting yelled at by me(*), but if the personal fouls continue, I'll let him have it again.

(*) --not that he cares. Some 12-year old girl down the row was making fun of me about it though. Pretty funny.