DICKEY isn't that good

tonyhuntoon

The guy has two hot shot running backs, yet can't (or won't) put them in the game at the same time. Just can't figure it out. Now we can see why the guy hasn't been pursued by any other program. They see the same thing we see. He can beat a bunch of teams that should still be playing at the 1-AA level, but he can't beat ANY OOC opponents.

You figure it out. It's time to find a coach to take it to the next level.

The guy has two hot shot running backs, yet can't (or won't) put them in the game at the same time. Just can't figure it out. Now we can see why the guy hasn't been pursued by any other program. They see the same thing we see. He can beat a bunch of teams that should still be playing at the 1-AA level, but he can't beat ANY OOC opponents.

You figure it out. It's time to find a coach to take it to the next level.

Lots of people have said the same thing over the years, but as long as he keeps winning the SBC, there is absolutely no way we're getting rid of him. He knows that, which may explain why he actually seems to do some coaching during their conference games.

Edited by MootPoint

Ok, last week, we were talking about how brilliant Dickey's play-calling was. And I'd have to agree. But this week....

Honestly, it's really hard to gauge how good DD really is because he doesn't even try in the OOC games. I could have dealt with a close loss, but 52 points... this is just sad. I am very disappointed with tonights games. But I'd like to say that the guys played with heart. They just got out coached.

Hang in there guys, we're still proud of you!

DD didn't necessarily lose this game. I think the O-line did a good job of losing it as well as the entire D giving up.

Dickey HAS taken us to the next level. I don't know how long you have been following this team, but did you see where it was before ol' DD took over?

Yes, he has two backs, but putting them both in only more so gaurantees us running. Tulsa had 9 in the box at a point, having 2 backs isn't going to change that. (Also, with Cobbs doing so well, you never know if redshirting Thomas isn't an option at this point.)

The reason we still have DD is because he is signed in by contract, no one can take him. He is one of the best recruiters in the country. I mean, Texas has the BEST players in the country and OU and Texas near Denton, why would Cobbs, Thomas, Quinn and Meager, Phillips, Awasom, Kennedy, Kassell, Spencer, Buckles, Hall come here when they were recruited else where? Dickey is the answer to that one.

Get over the DD, this loss is on Flanigan if any coach.

No doubt- I love the guys. I don't like the coaching. The playcalls vs MTSU on O were terrible. D was sharp, though.

Seriously folks, these guys almost put OU away, if not for OU's better raw talent, Tulsa would've won. I still expected a coach to actually try to win a game...especially at home

AND

Especially on PARENT WEEKEND!

RV should have a talk with DD about crap like this and how it affects parents.

No doubt- I love the guys. I don't like the coaching. The playcalls vs MTSU on O were terrible. D was sharp, though.

Seriously folks, these guys almost put OU away, if not for OU's better raw talent, Tulsa would've won. I still expected a coach to actually try to win a game...especially at home

AND

Especially on PARENT WEEKEND!

RV should have a talk with DD about crap like this and how it affects parents.

Not to mention students, fans, guests, visitors, community members, potential donors, recruits, players, etc.

I am not sure why people are shocked on here. We all know that we never win ooc games, but get to the Sun Belt and win. IT has NOTHING to do with DD not wanting to win - he wants to win them, it's just that the teams in the Belt SUCK.

We will be fine once we get to Conference.....until then, however, we won't win.

Great, we throw any credibility we gain each year as Belt Champions and the Sun Belt conference itself under the bus the following year by not being able to win an OOC game.

I am sure we helped ease SMU's pain a little tonight.

Edited by KingDL1

Great, we throw any credibility we gain each year as Belt Champions and the Sun Belt conference itself under the bus the following year by not being able to win an OOC game.

I am sure we helped ease SMU's pain a little tonight.

They're probably salivating at the thought of playing us next year. Heck, any team outside the SBC probably would be if they had us on their schedule. It's going to take a long time to get past the bad perception created from this game. I have poor hopes on actually beating KSU, but I really hope that something clicks against LaTech b/c if we get embarassed by them also, there is going to be a lot of negativity flowing, I'm sure.

Edited by MootPoint

DD didn't necessarily lose this game. I think the O-line did a good job of losing it as well as the entire D giving up.

Dickey HAS taken us to the next level. I don't know how long you have been following this team, but did you see where it was before ol' DD took over?

Yes, he has two backs, but putting them both in only more so gaurantees us running. Tulsa had 9 in the box at a point, having 2 backs isn't going to change that. (Also, with Cobbs doing so well, you never know if redshirting Thomas isn't an option at this point.)

The reason we still have DD is because he is signed in by contract, no one can take him. He is one of the best recruiters in the country. I mean, Texas has the BEST players in the country and OU and Texas near Denton, why would Cobbs, Thomas, Quinn and Meager, Phillips, Awasom, Kennedy, Kassell, Spencer, Buckles, Hall come here when they were recruited else where? Dickey is the answer to that one.

Get over the DD, this loss is on Flanigan if any coach.

C'mon... the D did NOT give up. They were tired... The offense didn't give them ANY time off the field due to the impotence.

DD Is not the entire problem. I do think the play calling, or perhaps the entire offensive scheme is lacking. When we have 2 marquis running backs, a questionable O-Line and a freshman QB, why are they A. not on the field at the same time, all the time, and B. why in God's holy name are we passing the ball, and C. why are we running the same screen play 10 times in the same game when it doesn't work once? I REALLY HOPE before we have to face a Sunbelt opponent, they really look at what they have and revamp the scheme. Even with a weak O-Line, Cobbs and Thomas in the backfield would force the other team to over commit to the run, and they would have an element of surprise and get some positive yardage.

DD got us here. I'm the first guy in the stands to yell for Dickey when things go bad, and Dickey did not have control of his team tonight... but there are certainly more problems here than Dickey.

We will lose ALL of the remaining OOC games, perhaps badly, and we'll be lucky to be .500 in the 'Belt if the team I saw tonight and last week (the only difference is that last week we got lucky) is the same team that we field against our 'Belt opponents.

...All this being said... It's not the end of the world, and it doesn't take away from how far we as a School and this program has come. This is a talented group of guys, and with some experience can be a good team. Can this young group take care of business throughout this year? I have doubts... but we'll suppor them all the way 'till the end, and we'll support them as they grow into the team they want to and can be.

Its not a matter of not recognizing where dd has gotten us. I think we all appreciate and thank him gor getting us to where we are now. But we do have to raise the bar and strive for the next level. dd will not get us there and I doubt he even cares. The next level, I think we all can agree, is winning OOC games.

How do you guys think DD will prepare for K-State?  That game might be even uglier than this one tonight.

Anyone looking forward  to the LSU game?

As I said in another thread. He will stand on the sidelines, and say "I love good ole k-state, I dont want to take the chance on them getting hurt playing us. Im not going to coach a competitive game. That way noone gets hurt. We don't have a snowball's chance in hell of keeping it close, much less winning. But at least we wont get hurt. Oh, wait, TJ got hurt while I was coaching too conservatively against tulsa. Well, at least they won't get hurt."

Im serious.... WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO START WINNING OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES?!!!?!!??!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?

A conference championship takes us 1 step forward but all these out of conference losses take us 2 steps back.

Is never an acceptable answer? Because as long as DD is here and knows that all he has to do is win the SBC, that's the answer we're stuck with. Sure we might get a fluke win here or there, but it looks like that's all we're going to be seeing with DD at the helm.

Im serious.... WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO START WINNING OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES?!!!?!!??!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?

A conference championship takes us 1 step forward but all these out of conference losses take us 2 steps back.

Do like the rest of us and hang your hat on that Baylor win of a few years ago. That should hold you off for another 10 years. tongue.gif

Is never an acceptable answer?  Because as long as DD is here and knows that all he has to do is win the SBC, that's the answer we're stuck with.  Sure we might get a fluke win here or there, but it looks like that's all we're going to be seeing with DD at the helm.

I am sure it must be some sort of rule in the UNT Coaches hand book that states if it takes more than a 10% coaching effort to win an OOC game then it is an acceptable loss.

Or maybe the DD hand book, probably one in the same.

How many of you are going to the DD radio show this Monday at Hooters?  Losing to Tulsa 52-2 when they didn't even play their starting running back is well.... terrible.

I would want an apology for the showing, but I doubt it will come. Probably some spiel about we don't have the resources blah blah blah and everyone doesn't believe in us and someday we hope to be able to compete on the same field as these guys and on and on. Same as always.

I would want an apology for the showing, but I doubt it will come.  Probably some spiel about we don't have the resources blah blah blah and everyone doesn't believe in us and someday we hope to be able to compete on the same field as these guys and on and on.  Same as always.

or another 2001 0-5 start to the season reference. glare.gif