Mean Green Athletes Begin Hurricane Relief Effort

MeanGreen61

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 09/01/2005

user posted image

Courtesy: Stephen Howard

Mean Green Athletes will be accepting donations all over campus during the next three days.

Article with photo gallery

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...0&ATCLID=186247

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 09/01/2005

user posted image

Courtesy: Stephen Howard

Mean Green Athletes will be accepting donations all over campus during the next three days.

Article with photo gallery

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...0&ATCLID=186247

Whether you like or dislike Rick Villarreal is your own personal business and your right as a free-thinking American, but would UT's DeLoss Dodds and similar be sitting at a table like the one in this photo in the hot, humid Texas weather?

For you lurking or visiting GoMeanGreen.com, that is the NORTH TEXAS Athletic Director sitting on the far right end of the table in the shorts.

I applaud all of our NT athletic scholarship students AND the general NT student body in this campus-wide relief effort for the hurricane victims. All that from our NT students makes me Mean Green & darn proud of it more than any football game in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, could ever begin to do.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

BUMP...this needs to stay on page one....channel 8 had a special about it tonight on the news and i saw at least 15 to 20 different athletes at different times on campus today...I didn't knwo there were some by mcdonald's...so it seems to a good number of athletes participating in this! Props to Rick and our Student-athletes! GMG!

BUMP...this needs to stay on page one....channel 8 had a special about it tonight on the news and i saw at least 15 to 20 different athletes at different times on campus today...I didn't knwo there were some by mcdonald's...so it seems to a good number of athletes participating in this!  Props to Rick and our Student-athletes!  GMG!

Agree.............Bump!

This was one of the lead stories on the Channel 8 News last night. It was some great positive attention for the University as a whole and especially for the Athletic Department. The Channel 8 news did interviews with some students at the Pep Rally inside of Fouts Field. It was pretty neat.

This was one of the lead stories on the Channel 8 News last night.  It was some great positive attention for the University as a whole and especially for the Athletic Department.  The Channel 8 news did interviews with some students at the Pep Rally inside of Fouts Field.  It was pretty neat.

Yeah, I was a little surprised to see Channel 8 there yesterday but at the same time VERY pleased.

NT Daily article. Athletes collected over $8,000 in donations as they greeted students & faculty on campus. RV sets goal of $20,000.

http://www.ntdaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART...2/4317f0c252186

NT shows its Mean Green

Rian Johnson

Staff Writer

September 02, 2005

The postponement of NT’s season opener at LSU has the Mean Green working overtime.

The Mean Green football team, along with all other NT student athletes and athletics staff, covered campus on Thursday in an effort to raise relief aid for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

“We have been in contact with the Salvation Army and the Red Cross about the things we can do to help,” NT coach Darrell Dickey said. “And they have guided us in those areas.”

The athletes received over $8,000 in donations as they greeted students and staff on campus. Erika Bobo of the women’s basketball team said the athletes are just glad they can help.

“The people in Louisiana are going through a lot, so we are just trying to do what we can to help out,” Bobo said.

While thanking students and faculty at a pep rally on Thursday night, athletics director Rick Villarreal insisted on support from NT students, setting a goal of $20,000.

wow!  i donated a little cash at that booth yesterday and had no clue that it was RV ( i guess i should make his picture my wallpaper so that it doesn't happen again).  anyways, he and the players there expressed such thankfulness to me for my measly $20 donation.  what a great gesture!

You might be surprised just how far your $20 donation will go when it comes to relief services who buy food/supplies at well below wholesale prices.

What a great gesture on your part, fellow Mean Green friend.