Some People Just Don't Care

Eagle-96

It is sad that people would take advantage of this devastating situation:

With much of the city emptied by Hurricane Katrina, some opportunists took advantage of the situation by looting stores.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers. When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" -- the radio code for police -- and the crowd scattered.

Around the corner on Canal Street, the main thoroughfare in the central business district, people sloshed headlong through hip-deep water as looters ripped open the steel gates on the front of several clothing and jewelry stores. One man, who had about 10 pairs of jeans draped over his left arm, was asked if he was salvaging things from his store. "No," the man shouted, "that's EVERYBODY'S store."

WWL-TV reporter Jonathan Betz reports widespread looting and WWL-TV cameras showed people walking out of Canal Street stores with racks of clothes and electronics. Some looters concentrated on basics and supplies, while others made no secret of their desire to get what they could.

Guest JohnDenver

It shouldn't be called LOOTING.

It should be called salvaging. The stuff is junked anyhow. Insurance will cover it.

If they can find a blowup boat at the CVS, but the employee is there to check them out, I am not holding it against them for not paying.

If they find rubbing alcohol to treat their grandmother's oozing diabetic wounds, I don't care if they don't pay.

If they want to drink a beer, and can't go up to the store since none are open, I don't give a rat's ass if they take out a whole bucket of it.

I would be drinking too. Sitting in my stolen dingy with a case of stolen beer handing out stolen medicine to people that may need it ... and beer to those that want it.

I would be like Robin Hood of the looters -- in my inflatable raft.

It is all gone anyway.

Edited by JohnDenver

It should be called salvaging. The stuff is junked anyhow. Insurance will cover it.

If they can find a blowup boat at the CVS, but the employee is there to check them out, I am not holding it against them for not paying.

If they find rubbing alcohol to treat their grandmother's oozing diabetic wounds, I don't care if they don't pay.

If they want to drink a beer, and can't go up to the store since none are open, I don't give a rat's ass if they take out a whole bucket of it.

I would be drinking too. Sitting in my stolen dingy with a case of stolen beer handing out stolen medicine from CVS.

It is all gone anyway.

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

To the extent that someone is going after neccessities in order to live (water, food, medical supplies), I can agree that trying to survive might provide a reason for going after those items. However, the people going after high-end electronics and such should be shot and killed on the spot. ph34r.gif JMHO. dry.gif

I would be drinking too. Sitting in my stolen dingy with a case of stolen beer handing out stolen medicine from CVS.

It is all gone anyway.

I can't believe these are the actual thoughts of someone!!!!

I hope I'm not around you if a major disaster happens!! My sneakers might get wet and aren't salvageable so you would take them off my feet!!!

It is sooooo irrelevant if the goods aren't salvageable. We live in a civilized society. I was going to type more, but I don't have the energy to point out all of the problems I have with your view.

Guest JohnDenver

However, the people going after high-end electronics and such should be shot and killed on the spot.

Glad to see the "some people don't care" sentiment is that deep. The lack of caring for a life ...wishing them to be shot is pretty deep.

At what point is stealing no longer stealing?

If the water is rising at 1/2ft per hour. The electronic store has 4 feet of water and the shelves are 6 ft tall. you have 2 ft clearance. That means you have 4 hours to get that crap out before it is completely under water. With the owners gone, no one is going to salvage it EVER, it is useless if it is under water. I don't care one way or the other. Chances are this person isn't going to use the equipment either. I don't care about their/his/her motivations. I hope that person makes it out alive and doesn't value some piece of equipment more than their safety.

Shoot them? Wow.

I am more optimistic I guess.

Guest JohnDenver

Looters aren't taking shoes off people's feet. They may be getting dry shoes for their wet feet.

There are more important things to worry about that a group of street thugs stealing candy from the nickel and dime shop.

Glad to see the "some people don't care" sentiment is that deep. The lack of caring for a life ...wishing them to be shot is pretty deep.

At what point is stealing no longer stealing?

If the water is rising at 1/2ft per hour. The electronic store has 4 feet of water and the shelves are 6 ft tall. you have 2 ft clearance. That means you have 4 hours to get that crap out before it is completely under water. With the owners gone, no one is going to salvage it EVER, it is useless if it is under water.  I don't care one way or the other. Chances are this person isn't going to use the equipment either. I don't care about their/his/her motivations. I hope that person makes it out alive and doesn't value some piece of equipment more than their safety.

Shoot them? Wow.

I am more optimistic I guess.

Theft is theft, just like murder is murder, even if you are choosing to kill someone who is on their deathbed. Each deserves appropriate punishment. That being said, you don't owe for a parking ticket by chance, do you? tongue.gif

Looters aren't taking shoes off people's feet. They may be getting dry shoes for their wet feet.

There are more important things to worry about that a group of street thugs stealing candy from the nickel and dime shop.

Exactly. Although people like to blow up and make a big deal about it, these people aren't hurting anybody.

They are just not looting stories they are going into peoples houses. The are TRASHING things not just taking stuff.

OH AND IF YOU THINK SO HIGHLY OF THEM LISTEN TO THIS.

WWl just reported that a COP was shot in the back by a looter while confronting another looter.

Still think they are not so bad.

I have no problem with taking food from a store to survive thats not what is being said, but they are laughing about it, taking pictures of each other doing. This is people taking advantage of the situation.

The Superdome is now being used as an AIRLIFT site because that place the highest place in New Orleans is about to take on water, and all these idiots care about is taking stuff.

If the water doesnt get them, I hope the cops and military do.

BUT I GUESS YOU STILL BELIEVE THAT THE MEDIA IS MAKING THIS WORSE THEN IT REALLY IS, RIGHT?

I would be drinking too. Sitting in my stolen dingy with a case of stolen beer handing out stolen medicine to people that may need it ... and beer to those that want it.

I would be like Robin Hood of the looters -- in my inflatable raft.

It is all gone anyway.

Wow, that is a sad outlook on life. If people are getting water and food staples to survive until help arives that is one thing. Stealing electronics and beer is another issue entirely. What if your house is flooding and I wanted to go inside and "liberate" your tv and stereo. I mean they are just going to be ruined anyway right?

Guest JohnDenver

BUT I GUESS YOU STILL BELIEVE THAT THE MEDIA IS MAKING THIS WORSE THEN IT REALLY IS, RIGHT?

The media WAS making a mockery of the storm until the levee broke in the middle of the night and everything went to hell in a hand basket. Now it is all coming true and it is terribly sad. I can't express my sadness.

With that being said, I find a "cop shot in the back by a looter" story to be rumor until further notice. Just like the reports that during a storm the levee broke and the French Quarter was under water ... it didn't turn out to be true. I let the facts filter out -- then process how I feel about it.

Guest JohnDenver

I mean they are just going to be ruined anyway right?

Absolutely ... If my electronics are going to be ruined by the flood and I can't scuba dive because of my deviated septum, YES, by all means liberate my television.

... and could you close the door behind you, thanks.

I woud hate for someone to be shot liberating my tele. I know I am not going in with a wetsuit and 3 hour airtank.

Guest JohnDenver

Oh NOEZ! THE COPS ARE IN ON IT TOO!?!?

Times Picayune: 

Even a cop joins in the looting 

Mike Perlstein and Brian Thevenot 

Staff writers 

Law enforcement efforts to contain the emergency left by Katrina slipped into chaos in parts of New Orleans Tuesday with some police officers and firefighters joining looters in picking stores clean. 

At the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street, an initial effort to hand out provisions to stranded citizens quickly disintegrated into mass looting. Authorities at the scene said bedlam erupted after the giveaway was announced over the radio. 

While many people carried out food and essential supplies, others cleared out jewelry racks and carted out computers, TVs and appliances on handtrucks. 

Some officers joined in taking whatever they could, including one New Orleans cop who loaded a shopping cart with a compact computer and a 27-inch flat screen television. 

Officers claimed there was nothing they could do to contain the anarchy, saying their radio communications have broken down and they had no direction from commanders. 

“We don’t have enough cops to stop it,” an officer said. “A mass riot would break out if you tried.” 

Inside the store, the scene alternated between celebration and frightening bedlam. A shirtless man straddled a broken jewelry case, yelling, “Free samples, free samples over here.” 

Another man rolled a mechanized pallet, stacked six feet high with cases of vodka and whiskey. Perched atop the stack was a bewildered toddler. 

Throughout the store and parking lot, looters pushed carts and loaded trucks and vans alongside officers. One man said police directed him to Wal-Mart from Robert’s Grocery, where a similar scene was taking place. A crowd in the electronics section said one officer broke the glass DVD case so people wouldn’t cut themselves. 

“The police got all the best stuff. They’re crookeder than us,” one man said. 

Most officers, though, simply stood by powerless against the tide of law breakers. 

One veteran officer said, “It’s like this everywhere in the city. This tiny number of cops can’t do anything about this. It’s wide open.” 

At least one officer tried futilely to control a looter through shame. 

“When they say take what you need, that doesn’t mean an f-ing TV,” the officer shouted to a looter. “This is a hurricane, not a free-for-all.” 

Sandra Smith of Baton Rouge walked through the parking lot with a 12-pack of Bud Light under each arm. “I came down here to get my daughters,” she said, “but I can’t find them.” 

The scene turned so chaotic at times that entrances were blocked by the press of people and shopping carts and traffic jams sprouted on surrounding streets. 

Some groups organized themselves into assembly lines to more efficiently cart off goods. 

Toni Williams, 25, packed her trunk with essential supplies, such as food and water, but said mass looting disgusted and frightened her. 

“I didn’t feel safe. Some people are going overboard,” she said. 

Inside the store, one woman was stocking up on make-up. She said she took comfort in watching police load up their own carts. 

“It must be legal,” she said. “The police are here taking stuff, too.”

Absolutely ... If my electronics are going to be ruined by the flood and I can't scuba dive because of my deviated septum, YES, by all means liberate my television.

... and could you close the door behind you, thanks.

I woud hate for someone to be shot liberating my tele. I know I am not going in with a wetsuit and 3 hour airtank.

Its not just about your tv, its about the fact that when they go in there to take it they feel the need to destroy stuff.

The should people taking the STORE FIXTURES. Taking out shelves just because they could. What sense does that make?

Guest JohnDenver

Its not just about your tv, its about the fact that when they go in there to take it they feel the need to destroy stuff.

The should people taking the STORE FIXTURES. Taking out shelves just because they could. What sense does that make?

I didn't state it makes sense. I stated they have bigger fish to fry and painting them ALL with one broad brush is wrong.

It is complicated.

That complexity should allow people not to get shot for STEALING a pack of cigarettes.

BTW: Katrina did more 'destroying' than anyone breaking my house windows could ever do. Luckily, in my case, I would have family and friends to lean on. And THAT is the bigger fish.

Edited by JohnDenver

Guest JohnDenver

Hey Crip*TeamKATT,

It isn't about thinking HIGHLY of these people. It is about giving them benefit of doubt, because I can't even imagine going through that. If a pocket radio would ease my mind to hear if my friend uptown may be safe ... I would probably take that pocket radio.

I don't say they all have good intentions. I just don't think any ONE of us can completely understand that circumstances. To say they should be shot is pretty intense.

I didn't state it makes sense. I stated they have bigger fish to fry and painting them ALL with one broad brush is wrong.

It is complicated.

That complexity should allow people not to get shot for STEALING a pack of cigarettes.

BTW: Katrina did more 'destroying' than anyone breaking my house windows could ever do. Luckily, in my case, I would have family and friends to lean on. And THAT is the bigger fish.

That is why the have instated Marshall Law, to let everyone know that there will not be any distinction between the two.

And things are getting worse and they want everyone to get to the Superdome so they can be airlifted out not stealing crap.

OH and a sports store was broken into and the gun and ammo supply has been wipped out. But I guess its a good thing they got all of it since it was gonna get ruined.

And you are right there are bigger fish to fry, so why defend the people that are adding to the things need to be fryed.

Hey Crip*TeamKATT,

It isn't about thinking HIGHLY of these people. It is about giving them benefit of doubt, because I can't even imagine going through that. If a pocket radio would ease my mind to hear if my friend uptown may be safe ... I would probably take that pocket radio.

I don't say they all have good intentions. I just don't think any ONE of us can completely understand that circumstances. To say they should be shot is pretty intense.

Well if you were told you were gonna get a fine for doing something or that you would be shot. Which one is gonna make you think twice.