Breakout Players for 2005

Eagle-96

Offense:

Offense is a tough one to pick as we will have a few players that will be stepping in to fill big shoes. Daniel Meager, Robert Harmon, Chad Rose to name a few. I think Daniel Meager will be the breakout player on offense this year. He will be replacing future NT Hall of Famer Scott Hall and that will not be an easy task. Some of us remember the last time we replaced a HOF qurterback in 1995 when Jason Mills took the reigns from Air Maher. Aside from the Oregon State game, it was not pretty. We then endured the Corley, Bridges, Gully years and they were forgettable to say the least. Losing a QB the calibre of Scott Hall is a HUGE deal and we desperately need Meager to step in and show some of the skills that had the BCS schools courting him before he injured his leg before his senior season. With PC and J-Mo there to take the heat off and a decent line to give him some time I think that Daniel will be more than the Buick driver and he may just surprise some people. He has an above average arm and he can run the ball as well. I think he will be fully recovered from his shoulder injury for the LSU game.

Defense:

I think that Maurice Holman will be the breakout defensive player this year. He had a tremendous game in the New Orleans Bowl and I think he will be a top 5 tackler for the Mean Green this season. With Early out for the season we will have to rely on Holman even more than we thought this season. Most teams have 3 solid starters at Linebacker and a few back-ups that get a few snaps a game. I think that we will rotate 5-6 players in each game with each one getting more than enough playing time. Mendoza, Moroe, and Graves will probably start but Thompson, Holman, and Mahan will garner alot of playing time.

Freshman impact:

It is tough to go through a season with O-line injuries and I think that Ajani Banks will not redshirt this season because we will need him to step in as the season wears on. He is a manster and already has the size to play at this level and he also appears to have the fitness. The question will be how quickly he picks up our zone blocking sceme.

Edited by Eagle-96

My first impression is Meager MUST have a breakout year- period! I think we all can agree where fine on the RB & LB front, but have serious questions on the DB, DL, and OL front- not good sir!

My assessment so far is we'll need some freshman to step in right away and be studs. For instance, y'all know we'll have a freshman as a backup QB, most likely, and I'm pretty sure we'll need @ 2 of our true freshman DBs- Chatman, Green- to step in right away and be stars!

I also have observed, by the way, we're recruiting- FINALLY!!!- true D1A talent, or guys who could play for Texas or Maryland (sorry, had to throw in my MD roots!)

So, all we need to do now is start beating OOC teams- AND I MEAN NOW!!!

(Oh, and a better stadium would help!!!!) cool.gif

Break out offensive player: Brock Stickler (This kid has "First-Down" written all over him)

Break out defensive player: Brandon Monroe(LB)

Surprise player(s) offense: Korona Henderson (FB)/ Roy Covington (WR)

Surprise player(s) defense: Kartey Agbottah (FS)/ Isaac Thomas (DT)

There is more talent (by position) on this team than we have had in a long time.

Bring on the MUTS!!! (I know, LSU is first on the docket... not going down that road again)

GMG!!!

We need Chad Rose to have a great year. If he can control the center of the O-Line, good things will happen. A good O-Line will help out a young QB. If our QB (who ever he is) is constantly under pressure things are going to get ugly. Even Cobbs and Thomas will have a hard time running the ball if they are being attacked in the back field.

Edited by meangreenfreak

Offense: Zach Muzzy will have a great year working against single coverage as the DB's key on JQ. Brock Stickler will also become a contributer, and I hope Chad Rose helps us forget about Andy Brewster.

Defense: Jamel Branch has a lot to prove being moved the DB this year, and I think he will surprise quite a few people. I look for our JUCO's, Weathers and Ransom, to live up to expectations and for "Big Cat" Raymond to emerge on the DL.