Rolling Out The Green Carpet At Fouts Field

MeanGreen61

Seriously, look how much better the sightlines are without that huge crown in the field. I never realized how much a difference it made - but Fouts really looks a lot better with a FLAT field and dark green "grass like" turf. I think that watching a game at Fouts this year will be the best ever... and I am not joking around about that, I really think that the action will seem much closer with the new layout. I also think that it will look a hell of a lot better on National TV when ESPN rolls into town for the Troy Trojans game.

user posted image

Seriously, look how much better the sightlines are without that huge crown in the field.  I never realized how much a difference it made - but Fouts really looks a lot better with a FLAT field and dark green "grass like" turf.  I think that watching a game at Fouts this year will be the best ever... and I am not joking around about that, I really think that the action will seem much closer with the new layout.  I also think that it will look a hell of a lot better on National TV when ESPN rolls into town for the Troy Trojans game.

WOW! I never noticed that but I can see a BIG difference. ALmost looks like they lowered the seats by some 5 feet. I'm really curious to see how it looks in person now.. ohmy.gif

I'd also like to know how this all works. I checked it out today, and it does look really nice, but right now it's just the turf on the gravel base. Will there be another layer added to make it a little 'softer'? The old turf, which is still lying around, has a definite spring to it. This turf seems rather uncomfortable.

I'd also like to know how this all works. I checked it out today, and it does look really nice, but right now it's just the turf on the gravel base. Will there be another layer added to make it a little 'softer'? The old turf, which is still lying around, has a definite spring to it. This turf seems rather uncomfortable.

I think the second layer you are wishing for is the 2 inches of ground rubber pellets added "into" the turf once it's installed.

Quotes from Marshall players about their new surface like ours....

........................................................................................................

One of the problems the players and coaches faced at practice was the new playing surface at the stadium.

"It's not done yet obviously," Snyder said. "Their [players] feet are burning hot because the rubber and the sand are not all the way in it. This is what we have to go with so that's what we have to go with."

The field still needs the bags of sand and rubber infill to be placed and ground into the field.

Senior safety Chris Royal said the field will be much better than the old turf.

"For years guys have been complaining about the old turf," he said. "It wears down your body a bit more, but this season the smooth surface will speed things up a little bit. Guys won't be afraid to dive after balls and then get turf burns."

Here's my thoughts on the new rug:

Color - NICE!! I hope that dark green holds up under the Texas sun for several years until this rug becomes the carpet for an indoor practice facility! smile.gif

Lines - Someone who has been down there in person since they started putting it down correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the material of the turf itself is white, rather than painting the green turf white. This will look better longer, and won't get rock hard like the painted lines on the old stuff did. (Also, notice no soccer lines!! ph34r.gif )

Center Logo (or lack thereof) - I wonder what will be added. Of course, anything that is added will probably lead to that hard-as-a-rock turf as mentioned above. I hope they put something there, but they keep it to a minimum.

Overall, I think this will be a SIGNIFICANT improvement on the visual appearance of Fouts. Add in the decreased injury risk, we've got a winner!! cool.gif

If there is less crown then people in the front rows really won't be able to see what's occuring at the center of the field since the view of the action will be even lower below the players standing on the side lines. Still, I can't see them taking out a crown due to the need of run off. I'm with Cerebus, there won't be much of a change, sightline wise.

Rick