Holy cow!

MootPoint

July 22, 2005, 5:41PM

A&M exceeds $1 billion fund-raising goal

Associated Press

COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M University has exceeded its $1 billion fund-raising drive, which sets out to improve teaching and research at the school, A&M President Robert Gates said today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gates told the A&M System's Board of Regents that by the end of June the school had commitments of $1.04 billion.

The money committed thus far will be used to fund 55 faculty chairmanships, 44 professorships, 80 graduate fellowships and numerous scholarships.

Gates said more than a year remains in the seven-year campaign and he hopes alumni will continue to show support and confidence in the school through financial donations.

Texas A&M Foundation President Ed Davis said the effort has helped the school but some academic colleges and programs remain in need of support.

"We are beholden to our kind donors for this remarkable achievement," he said. "But it would be a disservice to Texas A&M to relax our efforts at a time when so many critical programs are in need of funding."

The fund-raising campaign began in 2000. Gates wants to help A&M achieve its goal of being among the nation's top-ranked public universities by 2020.

A&M wants to quadruple its endowment from $700 million to $3 billion.

We need to convince BILL GATES not Robert Gates to help us. He has 50,000 million (50 Billion). We would even name the stadium for him.

After all.... we the first accredited computer science school in America (true).

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

We need to convince BILL GATES not Robert Gates to help us.  He has 50,000 million (50 Billion).  We would even name the stadium for him.

After all.... we the first accredited computer science school in America (true).

Great idea! And I didn't know we were the first computer science program to be accredited.

And we could call it, uh.............GATES-WAY CENTER STADIUM @__________FIELD?sad.gif (drum roll-----AYE!)

MORE GREEN {$$$$$$$$$$} FOR THE MEAN GREEN? We should be able to get a few million for the naming rights of the "Field" part of our new stadium, too, as retaining the Fouts Field name would be highly unusual since we are talking about a new facility at a new location.

ALSO..........how about naming each one of the I-35's the new stadium will be sitting between with names of 2 Big Donors, too? Or name the 2 interstates after 2 Texas politicians who might play a most significant part in helping us out with the finishing of our 200 acre Mean Green Athletic Village? Out here at the Parker/Tarrant County lines, where I-20 divides from I-30 that segment of the interstate (heading toward the Hulen Mall area) is going to be re-named "President Ronald Reagan Highway" according to a recent Fort Worth Star Telegram article.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You know why A & M succeeded raising more than $1 billion? Because a lot of Aggies (a lot) contributed to their fund raising drive. Not just millionaires.

At North Texas....we have about 250 or so members in our Mean Green Club. Everyone else just seems to sit around waiting for the "fat cat" to build us a stadium.

What's really sad....is that this board, you would think would be frequented by our most rabid of fans. Yet, how many frequenters of this board are even in the MGC? 20% 25%

So, if our most rabid of fans, won't give even a nickel of their disposable income to the program they "love"......what on God's Mean Green Earth....makes you think some disconnected billionaire/millionaire is gonna give millions of theirs?

Think it wouldn't help RV and the other fundraisers, if when they're meeting that fat cat...if they had ammo in hand, about how many of our "faithful" back the program with their own money. Think having a 1,000 or so members in the MGC, wouldn't help the cause?

So keep dreaming about some rich dude or dudette giving us millions. I guess when the big boy gives us his check, that's when all the sudden, some of the dead weight around here, is gonna find their check books.

Yeah, right.

You can be in the lowest level of the MGC for about 34 cents a day. Yeah, that's right.

Think it wouldn't help RV and the other fundraisers, if when they're meeting that fat cat...if they had ammo in hand, about how many of our "faithful" back the program with their own money. Think having a 1,000 or so members in the MGC, wouldn't help the cause?

You can be in the lowest level of the MGC for about 34 cents a day. Yeah, that's right.

SUMG, GrayEagle has been saying if we had that kind of base and about a 10,000 MG fan's who bought season tickets that we could probably start building our stadium without a Fat Cat, ie, Big Donor. Something about using bonds to do that, right Jack?

1-800-UNT-2366 is a weekday call that can change your life forever as a Mean Green fan or alum. They can tell you how you can invest that $0.34 per day (and get some fairly nice percs for doing so). Some of those percs even worthy as Christmas gifts this December.

????? Driving into FW this AM, I was thinking if NT Athletics had a "check by phone" method of payment if that would help many out there. Would it help you, specifically, GMG.com readers because so many have cut up their MasterCards, Visas or Discovery cards? Wonder how easy that would be to set up over at the NT Athletic Department if they were interested in doing this?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

OK, I'm 60 years old -- fairly fixed income have been attending UNT games since 1990. From 1990 - 1992 as a student; from 1993 - 1998 as both a student and ticket season holder and a season ticket holder since 1999. I have seen less than an 1/8 of Fouts full; sat thru rain, snow, heat, losing, winning, have traved to out of state and in state games and with no warning my tickets price is increased $250.00 minimum.

I know you youngesters think this is nothing; however, some of us are not so affuluent - (professor in the state of Texas) have not seen a raise in 5 plus years that gave me more income but has cost me more income tax. I don't mind the Mean Green Club but advance notice would have made this year a surity while at this point I'm not sure I can afford it. If football is only for the 30 - 50 year old crowd that's fine. However, remember there are loyal fans that are not willing to sit "in the end zone" for lack of discretionary funds to support something that offers me IMHO nothing but an inclose parking pass.

All the years were great but it may be all over except for the radio unsure.gif

OK, I'm 60 years old -- fairly fixed income have been attending UNT games since 1990.   From 1990 - 1992 as a student; from 1993 - 1998 as both a student and ticket season holder and a season ticket holder since 1999.  I have seen less than an 1/8 of Fouts full; sat thru rain, snow, heat, losing, winning, have traved to out of state and in state games and with no warning my tickets price is increased $250.00 minimum. 

I know you youngesters think this is nothing; however, some of us are not so affuluent - (professor in the state of Texas) have not seen a raise in 5 plus years that gave me more income but has cost me more income tax.  I don't mind the Mean Green Club but advance notice would have made this year a surity while at this point I'm not sure I can afford it.  If football is only for the 30 - 50 year old crowd that's fine.  However, remember there are loyal fans that are not willing to sit "in the end zone" for lack of discretionary funds to support something that offers me IMHO nothing but an inclose parking pass.

So....if I understand you....you've been in Section E all these years, and now that they are requiring a $250 donation to stay in Section E......you can't afford it?

Well, then just move over to Sections D or F. Those would be 30 yard line (or so) seats. You certainly won't be in the END ZONE, as you say.

And you might want to count your blessings. If you were following some schools, your needed donation to sit in Sections D, E, or F, would be in the thousands. Not just $250. (for Section E only).

Edited by SUMG

Was the exempted year this year or last year? Since I did not get any notice until I recevied my season ticket request? Do did receive the publication mentioned above last year. unsure.gif

Also, as a faculty member I did require my Saturday classes to attend games for class roll to help with the qualification for D1. I have supported football with everything I could. Oh and this is UNT not UT. Thousands would insure that no attended the game. ph34r.gif

OK, I'm 60 years old -- fairly fixed income have been attending UNT games since 1990.   From 1990 - 1992 as a student; from 1993 - 1998 as both a student and ticket season holder and a season ticket holder since 1999.  I have seen less than an 1/8 of Fouts full; sat thru rain, snow, heat, losing, winning, have traved to out of state and in state games and with no warning my tickets price is increased $250.00 minimum. 

I know you youngesters think this is nothing; however, some of us are not so affuluent - (professor in the state of Texas) have not seen a raise in 5 plus years that gave me more income but has cost me more income tax.  I don't mind the Mean Green Club but advance notice would have made this year a surity while at this point I'm not sure I can afford it.  If football is only for the 30 - 50 year old crowd that's fine.  However, remember there are loyal fans that are not willing to sit "in the end zone" for lack of discretionary funds to support something that offers me IMHO nothing but an inclose parking pass.

RE raise: I actually don't understand how anyone that gets a public paycheck can support these guys currently in office Austin..... They are doing nothing for education.

---These special sessions are about cutting property tax which benefits those which own a lot of property.. (ie. the wealthiest 10%) and raise sales tax which effects the rest of us.. these "special sessions" are not about helping public schools or universities as they claim. No more and maybe less money will be available. Tuition has and is going up because the Texas Legislature and Governor cut university funding the last session by 3/4 Billion dollars so colleges had to increase tuition just to make up for their losses..... That is the largest reason for all the increases.

I understand what you are talking about, I work at a public community college, the same is happening to us. I am 61,

And they can't figure how why college professors make bad comments [ supposedly we are pagan-liberals ] about their political party. The biggest thing they are "conservative" about is not spending money for education.

This may sound political but it is more about supporting education... both public schools and public universities. They don't--- except say they do.

---------------------------------------------------------

Trivia question. Six of the past 25 years the U.S. Government had a surplus, the other 19 they spent more than they took in in taxes. Which ones?

Ans: 1994-1999 , ie 6 of the 8 years the "conservative spending" party was not in power nationally.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

OK, I'm 60 years old -- fairly fixed income have been attending UNT games since 1990.  From 1990 - 1992 as a student; from 1993 - 1998 as both a student and ticket season holder and a season ticket holder since 1999.  I have seen less than an 1/8 of Fouts full; sat thru rain, snow, heat, losing, winning, have traved to out of state and in state games and with no warning my tickets price is increased $250.00 minimum. 

You get more than an "in close parking pass". You get to help the program that you have supported all these years, and thank you for doing it, move up in the 1A food chain. $250 from just 3,000 season ticket holders would give us $750,000 of income to the athletic department. That does a lot of great things, such as:

1)Allows our players to attend summer school....which in turn allows them to practice together (voluntarily) and become a much better team.

2)Pays for scholarships so that we can attract a higher caliber player.

3)Helps to alleviate travel costs so that any money we make on away games goes straight into the AD's coffers and not to airlines or buslines.

4)Minor stadium improvements.

5)Gets us a big step closer to calling a new stadium home.

So, while the tangible benefit that YOU personally see is a parking space, the athletic program sees exponentially greater benefit.

Was the exempted year this year or last year?  Since I did not get any notice until I recevied my season ticket request?  Do did receive the publication mentioned above last year. unsure.gif

Also, as a faculty member I did require my Saturday classes to attend games for class roll to help with the qualification for D1.  I have supported football with everything I could. Oh and this is UNT not UT.  Thousands would insure that no attended the game.  ph34r.gif

Once again.......you can move one section over (in either direction) and not have to pay the $250. Sections D and F go to at least the 30-35 yard line, as I recall. So, they aren't bad seats.

$250 is about 68 cents a day.

Anyway......Emmitt lays out some great reasons to be in the Mean Green Club. Let me add this:

Giving to the Mean Green Club is similar to giving to a charity. You do it because it's the RIGHT thing to do, not because of what you're going to get out of it. I mean when folks gave to tsunami relief were they expecting a tsunami relief tote bag to arrive in the mail? When all of the folks gave to those 9-11 funds, were we expecting to get a commemorative statue of the World Trade Center?

I wasn't.

How about this as an intangible reason for giving? Since our contributions go to pay for athletes' scholarships.....anyone who gives, can think "Hey, I'm helping pay for Jamario Thomas (or any other favorite player of yours) to go to school."

68 cents a day. And yet, most people don't think twice about dropping down $3 for a latte.

Ditto, Emmitt and SUMG:

Ok, lets say a person puts $50 down toward the $250 membership which opens up many new opportunities among those would be:

(1) Lower or Upper Section E ticket prime seating opportunities

(2) Some pretty nice gift percs as a $250 level donor one or more of those gifts which may even make nice Christmas gifts to a friend or relative. (OK, you've just saved some on your 2005 Christmas shopping).

(3) Get an up-close 2005 reserved parking auto mirror hanger which means you don't have to shell out cash each time you park somewhere near Fouts Field.

(4) You also make NT $250 closer to all the things we all want to happen in Mean Green Country.

............................................................................................

WILL THESE FIGURES WORK?

With $50 down toward the $250, that would make your monthly payments $20 for 10 months or $5 per week. I put $24 in my auto gas tank just last night. If 2 go out to eat pizza, a party of 2 (or more) will spend more than $20. If one goes to Starbucks 3 X's a week, for the money you'd spend doing that over the month, you could probably easily join the $500 level MG Club! laugh.gif

No matter a person's situation, there may be some semblance of budget sacrifice involved, but I think most of us could eliminate a monthly luxury or 2 and easily find $20 a month (with an initial $50 down unless you want less down and a bit higher monthly payment).

NT has made all this all too easy for us compared to other schools our size. Our ticket prices are still very low compared to other schools in NCAA D1-A.

<>*<> Get your spot in Section E now so you can have first dibbs on similar tickets when we move across I35-E to our future new stadium. They will probably grandfather your Section E seats for maybe a year or 2 once we're in that new stadium--just a guess on that, though.

1-800-UNT-2366......................is the number anyone can call on weekdays this next week to make your 2005/2006 committment to the Mean Green Club and take care of your 2005 MG FB season ticket needs with the same phone call--one stop shopping (so to speak) AND let them explain all this to you as you will find a friendly voice on the other side of the aforementioned 1-800 number. smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

---These special sessions are about cutting property tax which benefits those which own a lot of property.. (ie. the wealthiest 10%)  and raise sales tax which effects the rest of us.. these "special sessions" are not about helping  public schools or universities as they claim.  No more and maybe less money will be available.  Tuition has and is going up because the Texas Legislature and Governor cut university funding the last session by 3/4 Billion dollars so colleges had to increase tuition just to make up for their losses..... That is the largest reason for all the increases.

Bull s===! You're right, this is not the forum for your liberal crap but one thing really caught my eye. Only the wealthiest 10% own property? Apparently, that means that you don't own property. I can tell you that I do and I am FAR from the wealthiest 10%. I am 73 and live on a meager retirement income, far less than a professor makes. In fact, my wife is a retired teacher and her pension is larger than mine.

Now, I don't believe in whatever the legislature is trying (and not very hard) to do. The system does need revising but taking large amounts from business, thereby either raising costs or causing job losses is not the answer. For now, I think that they should only find additional revenue and urge school districts to cut expenses.

I also think that colleges SHOULD have a say in how much tuition and fees will be charged, leaving oversight to the legislature.

As to your trivia question, how do you think that we got the increased revenue that led to the surplus during that period? Answer: from the largest tax cut in history, which stimulated the economy. Neither party has ever cut expenses.

I usually steer clear of political discussion, especially on this board, but since you brought it up you deserve a reply. I have been both a Democrat and a Republican; now I am neither. Our system is not perfect and will never be due to power and greed, but it's still the best on earth.

And, in case you ask, I still find a way to give to the Mean Green Club and buy season tickets. Not as much as I'd like but maybe that'll change.

And, in case you ask, I still find a way to give to the Mean Green Club and buy season tickets.  Not as much as I'd like but maybe that'll change.

Both of you are retired and giving to the Mean Green Club & purchasing 2005 NT football season tickets? blink.gif

Many of us on this board would admit to being duly impressed with that feat by both you and your wife, GrayEagle. Way to go!

GMG!