"Mean Green" theft !

NT80

Jeff......the first time I knew that UNCC was using "Mean Green" was back in 1977. That was the year they made the Final Four in men's basketball (Al McGuire and Marquette won it all that year). They were using "Mean Green" a lot back then.

Anyway...if it makes you feel any better.....as I recall their fight song, was to the same melody as "Texas Fight". (They may have changed it by now and have a new fight song).

Anyway.....North Texas should have copyrighted "Mean Green" way back when. Sadly it didn't.

GOMG! (Go Original Mean Green!)

Jeff......the first time I knew that UNCC was using "Mean Green" was back in 1977. That was the year they made the Final Four in men's basketball (Al McGuire and Marquette won it all that year). They were using "Mean Green" a lot back then.

Anyway...if it makes you feel any better.....as I recall their fight song, was to the same melody as "Texas Fight". (They may have changed it by now and have a new fight song).

Anyway.....North Texas should have copyrighted "Mean Green" way back when. Sadly it didn't.

GOMG! (Go Original Mean Green!)

The poster is labeled as "very rare" and from 1980 so maybe they have stopped using the Mean Green phrase now. I've heard them referred to as their real nickname "49ers" in TV games several times but never knew they used Mean Green at one time as an extra name.

I agree we should copyright it, but can a nickname be copyrighted or just the font? Can Longhorns, Mustangs, Sooners, etc. be copyrighted? blink.gif

Edited by NT80

The poster is labeled as "very rare" and from 1980 so maybe they have stopped using the Mean Green phrase now. I've heard them referred to as their real nickname "49ers" in TV games several times but never knew they used Mean Green at one time as an extra name.

I agree we should copyright it, but can a nickname be copyrighted or just the font? Can Longhorns, Mustangs, Sooners, etc. be copyrighted? blink.gif

I had never heard about this "Mean Green" usage by UNCC; of course, they not being a football school may be the reason for that with me.

I think 4 NORTH TEXAS New Orleans Bowl TV appearances has helped us spread "NORTH TEXAS MEAN GREEN" to even many in the state of North Carolina many of whom probably by now realize there is really only one, uh, MEAN GREEN. cool.gif

Would it be worth while to play them in football (if they have a football team) or basketball for the right to have the monikor "Meen Green?"

Might want to still wait a bit on the basketball part. rolleyes.gif Don't think they have football a UNCC.

WE ARE.........THE MEAN GREEN and if they have a problem with that maybe we should send Mean Joe Greene up there to tobacky' country to re-emphasize this fact? ohmy.gif

I think I recall seeing a Phillly' Eagle game back in the 80's and seeing a sign on the wall of their stadium saying "Mean Green." I haven't seen it since when watching the Cowboys play the 'Igggles.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Just a side note here, but my high school (Longview High School) used the term "Mean Green" in reference to the defense ("Mean Green D", as I recall). And the marching band was know as the "Mean Green Marching Machine" (Yes, I was a band geek). I don't know if it was lifted from NT, and I don't know if they still use it, but the term has been used in places other than North Texas.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!

I live in NC, and have asked several people who grew up here...no one has EVER heard of UNCC and "Mean Green" before. As a matter of fact, when I talk about the "Mean Green", most people assume I am talking about NT, which is pretty cool. smile.gif

OK, here is the history lesson on UNCC and the Mean Green, etc. When the school started competing in intercollegiate athletics they had no nickname, no fight song, etc. The Texas influence at the school was instrumental in picking a version of 'Texas Fight' as their fight song. The mean green was 'adopted' while they were in transition. Finally, they picked the name 49ers because they are located on Interstate 49 in North Carolina. We have tons of documentation about the use of Mean Green back in the 60's, so we have a good leg to stand on should push come to shove. Actually, I doubt that we can have an exclusive on the name Mean Green. However, I have always wanted us to wordmark the phrase "Home of the Original Mean Green-circa 1968."

OK, here is the history lesson on UNCC and the Mean Green, etc.  When the school started competing in intercollegiate athletics they had no nickname, no fight song, etc.  The Texas influence at the school was instrumental in picking a version of 'Texas Fight' as their fight song.  The mean green was 'adopted' while they were in transition.  Finally, they picked the name 49ers because they are located on Interstate 49 in North Carolina.  We have tons of documentation about the use of Mean Green back in the 60's, so we have a good leg to stand on should push come to shove.  Actually, I doubt that we can have an exclusive on the name Mean Green.  However, I have always wanted us to wordmark the phrase "Home of the Original Mean Green-circa 1968."

----I doubt that the name Mean Green could have been copywrited. Mascots etc are used by many schools and doubt anyone owns rights to their name. The three most common in Texas are Eagles, Lions and Bulldogs and most schools that use then have existed since the 20's or 30's when schools first adopted names.

Monahans in West Texas also uses the term Mean Green some in addition to Lobos.