Ryan Palmer

WIFE2HOT4U

Q & A

Ryan Palmer

Like a sudden West Texas thunderstorm, Amarillo native Ryan Palmer burst on the PGA Tour scene late in 2004 with a runner-up finish in the Southern Farm Bureau Classic and two weeks later winning the Tour event at Walt Disney, defeating then-world number one golfer Vijay Singh for the Disney title.

The late fall rush not only lifted him to $1.5 million in prize winnings and a two-year PGA Tour exemption and within a whisper of the Tour Championship in his first full year in the Tour. It also earned him a spot in the 2005 Masters based on his top 40 money finish.

But the seemingly overnight success was really a lifetime of hard work on the West Texas Plains for the low key and likeable Palmer, who grew up in Amarillo and played golf for the Golden Sandies of Amarillo High. His parents were members of Tascosa Country Club, where he played in the junior program, learning the game on a wide variety of West Texas courses. He played golf in high school with Judd Burkett, who now caddies for fellow West Texan Chad Campbell and became friends and competitors with Campbell in various area golf events after high school.

Palmer spent one year at the University of North Texas where he won the Southland Conference individual title and led the Eagles to a conference golf title. He transferred to Texas A&M, where he played three years for the Aggies in the Big 12 Conference.

After a couple of years of mini-tour success, much like his good friend Campbell, he graduated to the Nationwide Tour where he captured the 2003 Clearwater Classic in New Zealand and earned his PGA Tour card for 2004 by finishing in the top 15 money winners.

Palmer moved to the Dallas-Fort Worth area, to make travel a little easier, where he lives with his wife, Jennifer, an Amarillo high school sweetheart and lives in the same neighborhood as Burkett. Already in 2005, he has scored a top 16 finish in the Ford’s Doral tournament in Miami and turned in another strong tournament at the Honda Classic.

When the golf world focuses on the season’s first major this month with the Masters tournament at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia, it’s highly unlikely Palmer will be one of the favorites or even one of the players selected as a darkhorse. But probably nobody will be happier or more excited to be playing in his first Masters than the talented West Texan.

Recently, Palmer, 29, slowed his hectic 2005 schedule enough to talk with Texas Golfer Senior Writer Art Stricklin about this month’s Masters tournament, his special pre-tournament practice round with his dad, his plans for the season’s first major and beyond, along with his love for the Fightn’ Texas Aggies.

TEXAS GOLFER: The eyes of the golfing world will be squarely on Augusta National Golf Club for this year’s Masters tournament. This will be your first as a player, what are your emotions heading into this year’s Masters?

RYAN PALMER: It will be like a golf fantasyland for me. To be able to drive down Magnolia Lane as a player will be pretty amazing. I went to a Masters round a few years ago and it was really neat to watch it, but if I said I wasn’t nervous to be playing this year, I’d be lying.

TG: When did you start thinking about playing in this year’s Masters?

RP: I knew I was going to play at the end of last year because of my money finish, so it’s always been in the back of my mind, but it’s been getting closer and closer. After the Player Championship at Sawgrass, I started focusing my attention on the Masters.

TG: How have you prepared for this year’s first major championship at Augusta National?

RP: I had a couple of practice rounds to get used to the course and I talked with Chad and other people about the course and the tournament.

TG: When did you get in your practice rounds?

RP: I played once in February and will practice on the Monday of the Players Championship in March.

TG: Was it hard for you to get on the course to practice?

RP: Not really. Once I got my official invitation, they said I could play anytime I wanted to with a member. I talked with the Titleist rep on Tour and he knew a member at Augusta, but he couldn’t play, so he introduced me to another member, Jeff Knox, who set a time and we played.

TG: Did you have a pretty special partner for your first round?

RP: I took my dad, Butch, with me to play and it was actually his birthday, so it was a pretty neat deal. I think my dad was pretty speechless the entire day just being there.

TG: What was it like to play the course for the first time?

RP: It had rained so the course wasn’t playing as fast as it will be in April. The greens weren’t as fast as they could be, but it will be amazing to see them faster for the tournament. I went down to the spots to see where some of the famous shots had been hit. Where Larry Mize chipped in to win and where Freddie’s (Couples) hung on the bank on No. 12 in 1992.

TG: Anything surprise you about playing the course?

RP: People don’t understand how undulating and how up and down the course is. TV just doesn’t show how steep it is.

TG: Anything else?

RP: It was amazing how nice everybody is at the clubhouse. When we drove in, everyone greeted us. We went out and played 18 holes, came in and had lunch in the men’s grill and saw the clubhouse, went in the champions locker room, then came out and played nine more holes while my dad followed in a cart.

TG: I guess we would be remiss if we didn’t ask what you shot?

RP: I was probably 3 or 4-over-par, I made a couple of birdies. I hit a 4-iron on the 15th hole and had an eagle putt and made birdie. My caddie would tell me where to putt on some holes and I couldn’t believe the breaks in the green, but he was right every time.

TG: Sounds like a pretty interesting introduction to the historic course?

RP: The weather was perfect and it was quite a thrill. I didn’t want to leave and neither did my dad it was so perfect. I brought my caddy for the second practice round so he could see some of the breaks in the greens and help me during the tournament.

TG: With all the nerves and pressure surrounding the Masters, would making the cut in your first appearance be almost like finishing in the top 10 elsewhere?

RP: I never want to go into a tournament thinking about just making the cut. That’s not the way I am. I feel like if my iron play is on, I can play with anybody in the world, but I can see why not many first time players have won here.

TG: You said you watched the Masters every year as a kid, any memorable ones stand out?

RP: I think probably when Freddie Couples won in 1992. I was a huge Fred Couples fan. When he won, I went out and bought a set of irons just like him. I had the visor and everything.

TG: What about practice rounds during tournament?

RP: I’m sure I’ll play with Chad one round and it would be neat to play with some of the guys who have been there a long time or have won, but I’m not really sure how that works.

TG: Have you discovered a bunch of new or old friends who are looking for Masters tickets?

RP: I’ve had a ton of calls from a lot of old friends, but I only have eight tickets and I’ve already told my parents if anybody calls that all the tickets have already been taken. I wish I could take a lot of people, but I don’t have any more tickets.

TG: Anytime you win on the PGA Tour, it’s a memorable one, but how much more did it mean to defeat then-world No. 1 Vijay Singh to win at Disney last year?

RP: I was five holes ahead of him, so it wasn’t like we were playing head to head. It was fun watching him on TV asking, ‘who is Ryan Palmer?’

TG: Since then, have you spoken to Vijay about the tournament?

RP: No, we have never spoken. He’s probably still wondering who Ryan Palmer is.

TG: Other than the money and the two-year exemption, what did the win do for you?

RP: It means a lot for my career. It shows I knew I could do it out here and proved it at the Disney tournament.

TG: Both you and Chad (Campbell) have come from smaller towns in West Texas to succeed on the PGA Tour, what do you think that shows?

RP: Well Amarillo is a lot bigger than Andrews, but nobody had really done it from here like we did, although Amarillo has had some pro golfers before. I guess that means we’re the talk of the town.

TG: Chad has already won $8 million dollars in prize money in just over 2 years, finished second in the PGA Championship and made the U.S. Ryder Cup team. Does that serve as a motivation for your own career?

RP: I always went the same direction as Chad even though he’s had a lot more success than I had. Chad is a real quiet guy, but real easygoing and funny when you get to know him. I’m surprised he hasn’t won more than he has out here, but he’s done more than I’ve ever done.

TG: You carry a Texas Aggie head cover on your driver, so how did your time at Texas A&M shape your career?

RP: After my first year at North Texas, I heard they were looking for players and I was able to go down there and play three years with the Aggies. I played with a lot of great players and a good coach and that really helped me.

TG: Have you played the new Traditions golf course at Texas A&M?

RP: I played it once and it’s a great course with a really nice practice facility. I wish we had something like that when I was there, but hopefully that will help build the program for the future.

TG: What about some of your fellow Aggies like Jeff Maggert or David Ogrin on the PGA Tour. Are you able to get together for a little Tour yell practice?

RP: I don’t think I’ve ever met Jeff Maggert, but I know David from playing in some tournaments together and we get together to talk some. I went down to see the A&M-Oklahoma football game this year and try to follow them as much as possible.

TG: How did you find your golf coach for the Tour?

RP: Somebody actually recommended Neil Wilkins to me and it’s worked out good. He’s at Sienna Plantation in Houston and we get together down there or sometimes on the road.

TG: One last question, one I’m sure you’ve heard a thousand times. Is Ryan Palmer any relation to Arnold Palmer?

RP: You’re right, I do get that a lot, but there is no relation between us. In fact, if he keeps doing good, maybe I can tell people I’m related to (Bengals quarterback) Carson Palmer.

TG: Thanks for the time. Good luck at the Masters this month.

RP: Thanks. It will be a unique atmosphere and something I’m really looking forward to