Texas Tycoons

jym

Okay, I was MIA over the holidays, but I thought I would update you all on the team. Here's the current roster (*denotes current starters):

Jabari Johnson*

Dameon Sansom

Chris Davis*

Donald Harris

Jimmy King*

Mack Callier

Deron Rutledge

Michael Degrate*

Johnny Tyson*

Oliver Miller

David Sykes and Will Smith are on the developmental team, but I believe Will is suiting up for Wednesday night's game.

This week's games:

Tycoons vs Louisiana Wednesday night at 7:30PM

Tycoons vs Kansas City Saturday night at 7:30PM

As always, please let me know if you'd like to attend a game. Thanks to the people who have already come out.

By the way, Chris is our leading scorer. He's averaging 17 points and shooting the ball very well (61% FG, 39% 3FG, 89% FT). Jabari is second with 17 points, 4 rebounds, and 6 assists per game. Degrate is averaging 6 points and 4 rebounds.

Tycoons overcome rough start, prevail

By Kelly Morris

Special to the Star-Telegram

HALTOM CITY - The Texas Tycoons showed Wednesday that a little rest is not always a good thing.

The Louisiana Cajun Pelicans, who were still searching for their first victory of the season, raced to a 10-0 lead. But the Tycoons were able to bounce back and hang on, overcoming the pesky Pelicans 120-100 at W.G. Thomas Coliseum.

"We had nine days off, and it's hard to simulate game settings," Tycoons coach Steve Tucker said. "We came out flat, but once we got in the rhythm, we played a lot better."

The Tycoons (10-4) came out more like a team that needed rest. They missed their first four shots and were outrebounded 5-1 with 4:49 remaining in the first quarter.

Despite being outrebounded 24-14 in the first half, the Tycoons still managed to take a 54-42 halftime lead thanks to 15 first-half points from Donald Harris and 13 first-half turnovers by the Pelicans.

Harris led all scorers with 27 points. DeRon Rutledge finished with 23 points and Chris Davis added 20.

Carl Boyd had a team-high 25 points for Louisiana. The Pelicans (0-7) cut the Tycoons' lead to eight at the start of the second half. But the Tycoons built a 17-point lead in the third quarter, and the Pelicans reached no closer than 11.

"They made a little run at the end of the third, but we just toughed it out," Rutledge said. "We just had to get the kinks out."

TYCOONS 120, LOUISIANA 100

*Jabari Johnson scored 14 points and had a career high 12 assists in last night's game. He also contributed 6 rebounds and 4 steals for the Tycoons.

Next game: Tycoons vs Kansas City

Saturday, January 15th @ 7:30PM