Breaking: UT CB Transfer X'avion Brice Commits to North Texas

TheReal_jayD

13 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

I'm not too excited about this yet mostly because I no longer know what it means to "commit".

At this point, has he done something that has contractually committed himself to being here Aug 31?
If so, I'm excited.  If not, I'll wait until Aug 31.

He will be here in January.  Once a player puts their name in the portal they have until the end of that semester to find a home or they are without scholarship or a place to play.  That is unless of course their previous institution will welcome them back which is a risky gamble. 

I believe the Portal closes December 20th maybe 23rd then they have until classes begin in January to enroll at new institution

Edited by GMG24
  • Thanks 3

On 12/9/2023 at 5:55 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

Honestly, this is exactly the type of transfer we should be going after. Redshirt freshman who's spent 2 seasons in a P5 strength and conditioning program. He has P5 size, something we lack, and he'll use his free transfer to come in. We can have him for 3 seasons before he can leave again (unless be wants to sit out a season). He's also from DFW so this is coming home for him. If you're not excited by this commitment, you're just looking for reasons to be negative.

I certainly don't mind this pickup.  Definitely worth the offer.
But, as pointed out before, we have precisely 2 guys who have transferred in from a P5 and made huge impacts:  Marcus Trice, and Jamori Maclin.   That's it.   (People need to stop citing Guyton, because he didn't transfer here from Notre Dame, he transferred from Trinity Valley CC).
Sure, there are other guys who were in the 2-Deep, and contributed, but that's not what we need, and it's certainly not what many here are expecting in their excitement. 
Behind guys like Terrell, Pegram, Plantin, who contributed enough to actually help the team, there is a laundry list of dudes who came in from P5's to do virtually nothing.
Guarded Optimism is what I have for Mr. Brice.  Rhymes with Trice, so that's gotta be a good thing.

Some info from 247:

"A 6’1, 183-pounder, Brice was a consensus three-star prospect ranked as the No. 650 player nationally and the No. 43 athlete in the 2022 recruiting class, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. Brice initially pledged to Kansas early in his recruiting process before decommitting days after receiving offers from Texas and Oklahoma. The Sooners landed his second commitment less than a month later, but it didn’t stick as Brice took an official visit to Austin days before the early signing period opened in 2021 and flipped to the Longhorns on Early Signing Day.

After playing quarterback and wide receiver in addition to taking snaps in the secondary for Seguin, Brice was considered a developmental prospect when he signed, an evaluation that bore out over his two seasons on the Forty Acres. While redshirting in 2022, Brice appeared in blowout wins over ULM and Kansas, making his first career tackle against the Jayhawks. This season, Brice was third on the depth chart at boundary cornerback and once again made two appearances in lopsided victories over BYU and Texas Tech, recording one tackle against the Red Raiders."

LINK

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I certainly don't mind this pickup.  Definitely worth the offer.
But, as pointed out before, we have precisely 2 guys who have transferred in from a P5 and made huge impacts:  Marcus Trice, and Jamori Maclin.   That's it.   (People need to stop citing Guyton, because he didn't transfer here from Notre Dame, he transferred from Trinity Valley CC).
Sure, there are other guys who were in the 2-Deep, and contributed, but that's not what we need, and it's certainly not what many here are expecting in their excitement. 
Behind guys like Terrell, Pegram, Plantin, who contributed enough to actually help the team, there is a laundry list of dudes who came in from P5's to do virtually nothing.
Guarded Optimism is what I have for Mr. Brice.  Rhymes with Trice, so that's gotta be a good thing.

I understand the apprehension. With the amount of P5 players in the portal nowadays compared to during the previous system, I think it's reasonable to assume there will be more P5 transfers who will become impact players at their new schools. Will our staff get the right guys? Time will tell.

I do, however, find it funny how we look at a school like SMU who elevated their play with a bunch of P5 transfers but our P5 transfers are being doubted. Many of SMU's P5 transfers were not impact players at the P5 level but they became that at SMU.

Look at our recent DB commits like Brice and what they have in common is length. What we really need now is linemen with size to transfer in. If we can elevate the DL play, our defensive backs are going to feast next season. 

Edit to add, I think Brice is our 3rd commit in the past week who played QB in high-school. That, to me, is a big deal considering many schools play their best athletes at QB and the intelligence it also takes to play that position. I think our coaches are going after the right attributes.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 4