Mean Green Need of the NIL in the Current Environment

El Paso Eagle

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Activities and appearances.  They have to do something for the money.  For instance, they showed up to our tailgate yesterday and signed autographs, took pictures and helped out.  They are speaking to an orphanage in Denton. 

As anyone at the tailgate can attest these are super high quality people.  Every single one of them would make you proud.  Well spoken, respectful and very appreciative of our support.  Just good kids!!

Harry I'm not questioning that. I'm just trying to get an understanding of how this works. When nil first came out it was supposed to give the athletes the ability to have a job like a quote unquote normal student. However as we all know it quickly turned into pay for play.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Eye Roll 1

On 10/1/2023 at 9:37 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

Harry I'm not questioning that. I'm just trying to get an understanding of how this works. When nil first came out it was supposed to give the athletes the ability to have a job like a quote unquote normal student. However as we all know it quickly turned into pay for play.

Lol come on. Student athletes could always have jobs. It was not “supposed to” do anything other than lift the unconstitutional restrictions the NCAA had placed on its student athletes regarding their ability to earn money from the multi billion dollar industry that was exploiting their labor. And that the NCAA should be subject to Sherman Act scrutiny.

https://harvardlawreview.org/print/vol-135/ncaa-v-alston/

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Lol come on. Student athletes could always have jobs. It was not “supposed to” do anything other than lift the unconstitutional restrictions the NCAA had placed on its student athletes regarding their ability to earn money from the multi billion dollar industry that was exploiting their labor. And that the NCAA should be subject to Sherman Act scrutiny.

https://harvardlawreview.org/print/vol-135/ncaa-v-alston/

So a multi-billion dollar industry where we would not be able to exist unless students were forced to pay fees. Sorry, but the "multi-billion" gets spread a little thick when the reality is not that many schools make money. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

56 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So a multi-billion dollar industry where we would not be able to exist unless students were forced to pay fees. Sorry, but the "multi-billion" gets spread a little thick when the reality is not that many schools make money. 

It really doesn’t when you look at the revenue at play here. But I like how you don’t skip a beat to change the topic and ignore being blatantly wrong about your claim that NIL was created so student athletes could have the ability to have a job like a normal student.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It really doesn’t when you look at the revenue at play here. 

Not understanding your comment. Are you saying UNT athletics revenue would not be affected by the loss of student fees fees? Not trying to argue, just don't understand your comment seemingly based on my comment - Or, are you talking about FBS as a whole?

22 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

we would not be able to exist unless students were forced to pay fees.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1