THE NEW AAC, I hope

On 8/24/2023 at 12:42 PM, wardly said:

I am probably wrong but I think the MWC programs can leave in 2025 without penalty or one that is  significantly reduced. Did I dream this?

For now, I don't believe there is a penalty.  The big $34M exit fee expires in 2024.  No fee has yet been determined for 2025.  I don't know this for certain but it seems that the three teams that we want most are SDSU, Boise State and Air Force.  We would also want Oregon State and Washington State.  Those, with the thirteen* existing members would give us an eighteen team conference.

*SMU should be in the ACC soon.

This should be ok for the major sports.  For the minor sports, I'd suggest playing nearby college teams (including conference) and then having a conference tournament to determine the championship.  I was trying to think if that would work and I believe that only football might have a problem with it.  That was to be expected.  Those would be the conference's problems.  It would keep the name of the American Athletic Conference strong.  

• Upvote 1

I believe that only Mike Aresco can answer that with certainty. 

As I suggested above, all other sports but football could be played at closer locations and have tournaments and meets to determine conference champions.  It could be structured to include basketball as well but that's a conference decision.  My preference (which carries exactly no weight at all) would be to play every conference member, half at home, the other half away.  Those with the worst record might be eliminated but the remainder would be seeded according to their record then play until the champion is determined.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2023 at 2:32 PM, GrayEagle said:

For now, I don't believe there is a penalty.  The big $34M exit fee expires in 2024.  No fee has yet been determined for 2025.  I don't know this for certain but it seems that the three teams that we want most are SDSU, Boise State and Air Force.  We would also want Oregon State and Washington State.  Those, with the thirteen* existing members would give us an eighteen team conference.

*SMU should be in the ACC soon.

This should be ok for the major sports.  For the minor sports, I'd suggest playing nearby college teams (including conference) and then having a conference tournament to determine the championship.  I was trying to think if that would work and I believe that only football might have a problem with it.  That was to be expected.  Those would be the conference's problems.  It would keep the name of the American Athletic Conference strong.  

By the way, I just recounted Cooke County Kid's total and I came up with 18, not 20.  We have 14 teams now.  SMU is leaving and let's say they are replaced by Air Force (OR Colorado State).  That still leaves 14.  Add Oregon State and Washington State=16.  Then (or before) add Boise State and San Diego State and you have 18.

Those additions would make five teams in the West Division.  That means that us, UTSA, Rice and Tulsa would be in the West Division.  Increases our travel cost but would likely increase the payout enough to more than pay for travel.

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2023 at 10:24 PM, EAGLE83 said:

The ACC is looking at Football and Basketball. Would you take them for other sports.

No. Without those flagship sports, there is no point for the AAC to add all that travel for the other sports. And vice versa.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

By the way, I just recounted Cooke County Kid's total and I came up with 18, not 20.  We have 14 teams now.  SMU is leaving and let's say they are replaced by Air Force (OR Colorado State).  That still leaves 14.  Add Oregon State and Washington State=16.  Then (or before) add Boise State and San Diego State and you have 18.

Those additions would make five teams in the West Division.  That means that us, UTSA, Rice and Tulsa would be in the West Division.  Increases our travel cost but would likely increase the payout enough to more than pay for travel.

Did you include Wichita State for all sports except football?

I would not allow smu to park any of their sports in the AAC. Let them go CUSA or Sun Belt. 

I’m also okay with taking the TCU approach and never playing smu in anything again. Bowl game understood. But scheduling they are not worth it. 

All the best in your east coast ACC world. 

UNT will always promote UNT first.

GMG 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1