Eric Morris, Washington State’s offensive coordinator and a Mike Leach pupil, accepts head coaching position at North Texas

Coach Andy Mac

Eric Morris, Washington State’s offensive coordinator and a Mike Leach disciple who played for the late coach at Texas Tech, accepted a position to become the head coach at North Texas on Tuesday morning.

Morris was WSU’s offensive coordinator for one season, helping lead the Cougars to seven regular season wins and an appearance in Saturday’s Jimmy Kimmel LA Bowl against Fresno State.

He becomes the second coordinator to leave WSU after one season in Pullman. Cougars defensive coordinator Brian Ward accepted the same position at Arizona State approximately one week ago.

WSU coach Jake Dickert is taking over defensive coordinator duties at the LA Bowl, but it hasn’t been specified whether Morris will join the Cougars on Saturday at SoFi Stadium.

Morris was reportedly one of three finalists for the Texas State head coaching job earlier this month, but the Bobcats eventually hired Morris’ successor at Incarnate Word, G.J. Kinne.

“I am incredibly honored to be the head football coach at North Texas,” Morris said in a school news release. “I am humbled and grateful for the opportunity given to me by Jared Mosley and President Smatresk to lead UNT Football into a new era in The American.

“As a native Texan, I understand the pride and standard of Mean Green football and I am humbled to be able to lead this storied program. My wife, Maggie, and our boys are so excited to return home. We can’t wait to meet the team and get to work.”

A photo posted by WSU running backs coach Mark Atuaia depicted Dickert and Morris on a private jet Monday while recruiting. Dickert, the first-year WSU coach, sent will wishes to the outgoing offensive coordinator on social media Tuesday afternoon.

“Excited for Eric, Maggie, Jack and George and their new journey,” Dickert tweeted. “As always the COUGS will rise to meet all challenges and field one of the best offensive units in the country.”

read more:  https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2022/dec/13/eric-morris-washington-states-offensive-coordinato/