softball program...recruits

OldTimer

Is it true there are no ships available to the incoming softball coach?  I remember two early signings.  I had hoped the new coach could bring a couple of her top players off her JC ...seem to remember one was all region team.

The DRC article about the new coach's hiring said there were no seniors on this year's UNT team. It also said "Burns will also have a recruiting class in place. Each member of Segal’s final recruiting class has signed a national letter of intent." I take that to mean unless someone doesn't return or fulfill the letter of intent that we're full, but not sure.

The DRC article about the new coach's hiring said there were no seniors on this year's UNT team. It also said "Burns will also have a recruiting class in place. Each member of Segal’s final recruiting class has signed a national letter of intent." I take that to mean unless someone doesn't return or fulfill the letter of intent that we're full, but not sure.

Isn't softball like baseball in that they don't necessarily give full scholarships? If so, it seems to me that someone who didn't produce and/or did not make a good effort could have at least part of her scholarship taken from her. It also could be that Coach Segal did not sign all of the scholarships available and held some for this year's freshmen and juniors. I'd bet that the new coach will find a way to at least get her best player(s) on this year's team.

Isn't softball like baseball in that they don't necessarily give full scholarships?

That may be true for softball. I had a friend who's son played baseball for Virginia and they split 13 ships among 28 players. Usually the seniors or pitchers got most of it and freshmen only received about 1/4 ships. Can ships in other sports be split too? blink.gif

I've asked before and the only suggestion was that she had trouble handling the stress. She had quit early also at a

junior college in Texas.

My impression when I visited with her in Fresno at the tournament was a very "up tight" personality. She didn't seem to smile or "small talk." Because i had on a Mean Green Club shirt, she introduced me to her staff but only in an abrupt manner. Too bad because she really knows the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Coach Segal was actually "focused" on the upcoming games when I met her in Fresno. She had a good routine to prepare the ladies for the upcoming game(s.) I was impressed by the effort and I misunderstood the focused approach as being "up tight," which she really wasn't. My poor choice of words.

Considering the competition, like UCLA (National Champs), our ladies looked well prepared and unfazed by the level of opponent.