Yesterday we conducted the first draft ever for the GMG Flag Football league. About 20 peeps popped in and out of the draft room to see where they would be headed and the captains implemented their strategy quite nicely. Iron Man Switzer won the coin toss and chose first. The draft was done in reverse fashion and each captain chose the players with alternating turns for the OTHER team. We mutually agreed to draft the girls first so their placement is not an indication in their ability, but rather just where they went as a result of our rules. Here is the draft order.

Aaron chose first (for Matt's team) and placed Nicole (UNTangel) on the Green team. Matt then chose Two Dollar Pistols for the White. Hope was then placed on the green team and our girl's draft rounded out with Brooke making the White team. Hopefully it will be raining on Saturday smile.gif

Next up we had the guys draft. Iron chose JayDub first in what I would consider a strategic move. Brent was then placed on the White team by Matt. Completing Iron's strategy was to place Sammy "Bud Wesier Man" on the Green team; thus sending shockwaves through the chat room. Sammy would have probably been a very highly drafted player on his own merits but the potential for arguing with te Dubinator is there so we could see major havoc on the field if those two lovebirds are not getting along that day. Sean Hiatt was selected for the White team, followed by Tony "King DL1" Barone to the Green. Steve "Med Pilot" was then placed on the white team which was a very interesting pick that would start a trend and expose Matt's stratagey of going with youth for his team and letting the older players be pushed to the White team. Wes "greenballer" Holcomb was picked for the Green, he is not that fast; but he can't catch either... so that makes up for it. A late addition to the draft, our own LoRo "Cerebus" was selected for the White team and immediately began threatening to ban any Green player that tries to grab his flag.

In a surprising twist, Aaron sent Pierow to the Green team splitting up the only married couple in the draft. I would love to hear the trash talking that will go on all week in that household. The next shocking pick was plaing Caleb "Mean Green Nation" onto the White team with his own personal spell checker, Iron Man. Myself, (stebo) was placed onto the Green team with the 15th pick of the draft and that is wwhere we hit the midpoint. Next up, Scott "UntCampbell" was selected for the White team followed by Mean Green Buzz being placed on the Green. Our resident military man, Texas Stranger, was placed on the White team and Scott "Green Nawlins Vet" Keeler was put on the Green team. Scott "Hunter Green" Robertson was selected next for the White team followed by Kit "Mean Green Dork" to the Green team.

Evan was next up for the the white team and Travis was selected for the Green team. In a surprising move, Big Will Haliburton was placed onto the White team; many had speculated that Will could go as high as top 5 but Matt was obviously going for youth and speed with his picks. The biggest "sleeper" in the draft turned out to be Scottie "Voy Board" Franklin who was placed on the Green team as a late round pick. Ray Ray was moved to the White team and Emmitt's roomie Kris was selected for the Green team, if he can keep his hair out of his face then Kris will be a force to be reckoned with next Saturday. Perry was a top 3 pick and was moved to the White team by Matt followed by Justin "UNT_92_Fan" being selected for the Green. And our top pick in the draft, Emmitt "I do not look like Hootie or any of the Blowfish" Jackson.

Trades can be made between the two captains with my approval up to Wednesday at midnight. If you want to be on the other team, PM your captain and try to work out an arrangement. There has already been a little bit of posturing from Little Matty about some trade talks but I am not sure how receptive Iron Man was to the idea.

All and all, the draft went off without a hitch. We have Youth against Veterans on paper. Both sides have the potential for meltdowns as there are a few volatile players on both teams that make no qualms about arguing with one another. It will be an entertaining day to say the least. While Matt seems to be going for the laid back "have fun" approach with his team, Iron Man is more of a Bill Parcells type and I would not be surprised if he had already memorized the rules in order to make sure he can take advantage of any weaknesses in the youthful Green team.

The time has been pushed back 1 hour to 3 p.m. for practice and the game to immediately follow. Kevin (Gakusei) is once again rolling at the tailgating red carpet and bringing his grill out to the game. Bring your own drinks, and PM Kevin to ask him if he needs any donations as far as paper plates, catsup, buns, etc... after the game we will be going to watch our streaking basketball team take it to South Alabama to claim first place in the Sun Belt.

If you have any questions, just reply to this message thread. I would rather answer the questions publicly so that I am not asked the same things over and over again.

Each team can select one player through free agency. Silver Eagle had mentioned that his son would want to play but we set up a rule that you must reply to the player profil or PM me in order to verify trhat you were available and we never got a response from Silver or his son. No need to worry, if Silver, Jr does want to play (or anyone else for that matter) then they need to contact the two captains and plead their case for being picked up as their lone free agent. Free agency picks can be surprises, they do not have to be announced by any certain time. Just bring them to the game on Saturday; but the rule is ONLY ONE will be allowed to play for each team so choose wisely.

Thanks to all those that participated from the players, the captains, Rick V, Hope, and especially Mean Green Queen for securing the Field, and Iron/UNTAngel for securing the equipment along with Erin through the North Texas Exes Student Chapter and Rec Sports.

A late addition to the draft, our own LoRo "Cerebus" was selected for the White team and immediately began threatening to ban any Green player that tries to grab his flag.

That's not a threat. That's a promise.

Iron Man is more of a Bill Parcells type and I would not be surprised if he had already memorized the rules in order to make sure he can take advantage of any weaknesses in the youthful Green team. 

We've already had two practices, we're running bleachers, he already released Caleb for sleeping during a film session.

but the rule is ONLY ONE will be allowed to play for each team so choose wisely.

We're already in discussions with Kevin Galbreath.

Did IronMan go on a Jimmy Johnson-like tirade? ("The asthma field is over there!!)

I figure IronMan to be a Bear Bryant from "The Junction Boys"  - maybe kicking a player for getting tired or something.

I'm not sure where he was hiding it, but during a hands drill, he threw a metal folding chair at me when I screwed up.

Roster for the Green Team:

Hope

Nicole

Jaydub

Sammy

Tony "KingDL1"

Wes "greenballer"

Pierow

Stebo

Mean Green Buzz

Kit "Mean Green Dork"

Travis

Scottie

Kris

Justin "UNT_92_Fan"

Scott Keeler

Coaching the Green team: Little Matty

Roster for the White Team:

Emmitt

Ray

Perry

Brooklyn

Medpilot

Evan (e-bone)

Will (rhaprez)

Lorenzo (Cerebus)

Texas Stranger

Sean (UNTfan23)

twodollarpistols

Brent

Caleb (MGN)

untcampbell

Hunter Green

Coaching the White team - Aaron.

Green as 15 point favorites? I want in on that.

Green wins, with Kit burning Emmitt on a 55yd TD pass

laugh.gif That's funny. laugh.gif

Your right Zeke, I've been running tough practices for this game. We have had game situation drills with sacks of cattle feed painted green sitting stationary as our players race past for scores. Gotta get ready for what will actually happen and prepare for every situation you know.