Mason Fine tonight

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I don't normally start many post-game reaction threads, but I just want to say how impressed I was with Mason Fine tonight. He showed incredible poise for a true Sophomore and once again made plays with his feet and what appears to be a much stronger arm this year. Some of his throws were the best I've seen out of a UNT QB in a long time.

Also, he currently sits at 27th in NCAA for passing yards, leading C-USA. Again, as a Sophomore. Hats off to the kid. 

Considering how bad the OL has been, this is impressive.. 

With us being a 110+ ranked offense last year, I was just hoping to get into the 80s... The SL miracle has been true so far this year...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Considering how bad the OL has been, this is impressive.. 

With us being a 110+ ranked offense last year, I was just hoping to get into the 80s... The SL miracle has been true so far this year...

Jeff Wilson is certainly right up there in rushing yards as well. Despite some unexpected deficiencies in our secondary this year with the long ball, our offense has made a complete 180 so far. 

Edited by ChristopherRyanWilkes

2 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Jeff Wilson is certainly right up there in rushing yards as well. Despite some unexpected deficiencies in our secondary this yard with the long ball, our offense has made a complete 180 so far. 

Agreed, and as much as I hate to say it.. I dont care if 1 game of the 4 was trash time (2nd half of Lamar and SMU)... Having those stats will be impressive to kids... 

Also, we improved on the 35 points per game average as well.. Hopefully SL and the staff can sale to some OL, and say with how bad they have been it can only be better if they came to UNT... But anyway, SL/GH has made this UNT offense fun again.. I just hope we can continue this in C-USA

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You're not kidding.  There were those statue routes and a big old struggle to string together 2 first downs.  

Watched the game on sling from Malaysia.  Looks like a fun night under the lights in Apogee.  I had to leave the game right when it became 37-28. I did not feel comfortable with this lead all game long after Iowa and the opening of smu.  Keep the heart strong his season folks.

GMG

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

If he can keep Him healthy He may be one of the best we have ever had here.

This part will be hard to accomplish but I’m glad we got through our p5 game with him still standing.  Mason gets the ball out so fast...quick decision making, dart throws...really protected the football so well last night and threw it away when he needed to...getting so much better about not taking silly sacks...tough as nails.  He’s one of my favorite players to watch in my time as an NT fan.  He’s got just a couple cons (height has at times created throwing issues when under pressure - and his frame will wear down over time if not protected) compared to so many strengths.  And we still have him for 2.5 more seasons!

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 5

I couldn't agree more with all of these comments.  His progression in one offseason is tremendous.  He's like a new QB.  His accuracy has basically been off the charts and like someone mentioned him hitting guys in stride.  Credit to him and credit to the coaching.  I'm also really liking his weapons.  Kelvin smith if he keeps progressing could play in Sunday's.  

Two big concerns.  

1.   Keeping him upright and protected.  I fear if the moment he gets the snap he has to start looking where the pressure is coming from and can't get comfortable to make his reads. 

2.  SLIDE!!  Love the toughness and mason for the love of everything good and holy slide!   Not sure if I'm the only one but every time he and Jeffrey get hit I tense up hoping to see them bounce back up.  

And last thing with anyone questioning his ability to make all plays just have at the ready his scramble then back across the body dart to Lawrence for a TD.  Thing of beauty.  

• Upvote 2