Justin Barnett

NDT

Did anyone else watch as one of the Post players from Indiana virtually wrapped his arms around Justin and watch as Justin threw his arms and body back against the other guy causing him fall flat on his back. It was away from the ball. I was exited to see that kind of aggressiveness from Justin. I have seen no other comments about this incident.

I would have posted earlier but I have had technical problem getting on the board the last few days.

Justin Barnett will be a force for us sooner or later, imo. He's got the right height for a center, can hit shots when needed (he was used more in the lane before Shojo was available), and is apparently learning to be a bit more aggressive around the ball.

I think that if not this year, he will be a standout player next year. He's shown glimpses of what he can do in a couple of the earlier games this season.

I feel Justin has improved his game over last year. He moves better and uses his size more. I still want to see him be more agressive with the ball near the basket and stuff a few. He is so big nobody could stop him going up but he tries to lay it in or bank it off the glass when all he has to do is throw it down the net!

Guest e-bone

I don't know who you've been watching. That kid is a force underneath. He was very impressive against Baylor, the game started to turn in our favor when he came into the line up.

Perhaps we are indeed watching different players because I wouldn't consider someone who was blocked by the 6'2" posts of that Oklahoma NAIA team a "force underneath".

Just looked at the Baylor box score and Barnett really did look impressive with going 0-2 with 2 rebounds. blink.gif

Edited by e-bone

Interesting opinions. I am a fan of his, but I am surprised that nobody has noted that, although he is doing very well personally, UNT has won only 1 game with Johnson at center, and that was an overtime win at UT Pan Am. No doubt Johnson is a serious talent, and we're lucky to have him, but the balance of the team appears to be way off. I'm sure that Roniger's leaving contributes to this, also. JJ is taking a big, big chance with his program as Johnson has only been here for a short time. He's a great talent for sure, and his game is pretty dang good, but there are also guys that have been here for 4 years that may resent his being brought in for 1/2 a year and getting a huge amount of floor time. Granted, if those others were as good then they would be playing more.

Besides a physical presence, when Barnett comes into the games he seems to give the team a spark, whethter through passes, rebounds, whatever. The IU game is a prime example. UNT was down 16 or 18 when JJ put him in, and the lead was down to 6 or 8 when he took him out. For whatever reason I don't think they got into the game together again. I'm not saying he takes the team on his back offensively, but the ball seems to move more when he is in, and the team appears to be more balanced.

Playing Barnett and Johnston together forms a pretty formidable front line, and with Barnett's passing ability, the guards and small forwards would be freed to cut to the basket more, or just move to an open spot for a pass back out. Johnson's forte is offense, not passing;when the ball goes into him in the post it rarely comes out. Therefore there seems to be a tendancy to watch him rather than moving without the ball, which allows the defense to collapse.

Hopefully things will change and improve soon, and the next few games are critical. Otherwise, Johnson's senior 1/2 season will be good, but the team overall may have a rough conference record and some unhappy other players, and not just the seniors.

I dont think the team knows how to work with Johnson yet, they seem to become more passive when he comes in.

JJ has talked about this in press conferences, I think the team chemistry will get better the more they play together.

True, UNT has only won one game with Johnson at center, but that one game was its lone road win, and Johnsons only home game was against Indiana, so that stat is a little muddled.

Guest e-bone

I dont think the team knows how to work with Johnson yet, they seem to become more passive when he comes in.

JJ has talked about this in press conferences, I think the team chemistry will get better the more they play together.

True, UNT has only won one game with Johnson at center, but that one game was its lone road win, and Johnsons only home game was against Indiana, so that stat is a little muddled.

I think you're right, there is a lot of standing around when Johnson gets the ball. Before we got Johnson this team really played well when they pushed the ball buy having smaller, quicker players in. Now that we actually have someone who can contribute in the post they have to play a different style and they just have to get used to it.

Perhaps we are indeed watching different players because I wouldn't consider someone who was blocked by the 6'2" posts of that Oklahoma NAIA team a "force underneath".

Just looked at the Baylor box score and Barnett really did look impressive with going 0-2 with 2 rebounds. blink.gif

Considering how much playing time he gets, he does more boxing out and gets into better position than he did last year. All stats aside, he isn't going to be the scorer that we'd like. He will be a wide body that we have so needed the last several years. The intangibles against Baylor were what I noticed, not box scores. I do see progress.