Question About Private High Schools

UNTLifer

12 hours ago, NT93 said:

If you can afford to move into a particular school district and are willing to go through all that moving entails then have at it.  I don't really consider moving to another school district as "transferring."  If you truly transfer to another school that's where I have a problem.

I've heard that both Aledo AND Brock siphon kids from Weatherford, but I have my doubts that Weatherford is stocking two powerhouses in lower classifications.

Your first paragraph is confusing.

Your second is incomplete.

Weatherfor isn't the only school losing kids to Brock..but mostly Aledo.

Schools from county to county...and even coast to coast are as well.

Rick

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Your first paragraph is confusing.

Your second is incomplete.

Weatherfor isn't the only school losing kids to Brock..but mostly Aledo.

Schools from county to county...and even coast to coast are as well.

Rick

I wasn't writing paragraphs, so...

I think of "transferring" as just changing schools.  The family still lives in the same home in a particular school district, but the kid attends school in a different district.  Ex:  Kid lives in Weatherford ISD, but goes to school in Aledo.

As I stated before, if a family is willing to go through the hassle of physically moving into a new school district I don't generally have a problem with it (though I know there are exceptions).  Ex:  Kid lives in Weatherford, but the family sells their house and moves into a new house in Aledo ISD.

I'm not sure what's incomplete about doubting that Weatherford has the athletic prowess to stock a couple of powerhouses in lower classifications.  A bit of humor was intended based on Weatherford's past 10-20 years of football history. 

Speaking of confusing and incomplete:

"Weatherford isn't the only school losing kids to Brock..but mostly Aledo."

"Schools from county to county...and even coast to coast are as well."   

I guess you were intending to so that schools from county to county and even coast to coast are losing kids to Brock and Aledo?

One other thing to consider:  Often the coaches aren't recruiting kids to these schools.  The results on the field cause families to seek out these schools.  If a family is looking to move and they have the choice, the school, both athletically and academically, plays a part in that decision.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

I wasn't writing paragraphs, so...

I think of "transferring" as just changing schools.  The family still lives in the same home in a particular school district, but the kid attends school in a different district.  Ex:  Kid lives in Weatherford ISD, but goes to school in Aledo.

As I stated before, if a family is willing to go through the hassle of physically moving into a new school district I don't generally have a problem with it (though I know there are exceptions).  Ex:  Kid lives in Weatherford, but the family sells their house and moves into a new house in Aledo ISD.

I'm not sure what's incomplete about doubting that Weatherford has the athletic prowess to stock a couple of powerhouses in lower classifications.  A bit of humor was intended based on Weatherford's past 10-20 years of football history. 

Speaking of confusing and incomplete:

"Weatherford isn't the only school losing kids to Brock..but mostly Aledo."

"Schools from county to county...and even coast to coast are as well."   

I guess you were intending to so that schools from county to county and even coast to coast are losing kids to Brock and Aledo?

One other thing to consider:  Often the coaches aren't recruiting kids to these schools.  The results on the field cause families to seek out these schools.  If a family is looking to move and they have the choice, the school, both athletically and academically, plays a part in that decision.

First off...we're not talking of changing districts for the sake of changing districts.  We're talking about transferring for athletic purposes.  It's not permitted.

Second..an athlete can't live in one district..and attend another.  He/she must establish residency. And that's where a lot of the cheating is happening and where a lot of people have gotten caught.

Buying second homes, renting cheap homes from local boosters on the cheap for the mailing address, faking divorces to justify to the new DEC as to why their child needs to move to the new district...and on and on and on.

Third... Your shot at humor and Weatherford prowess and all... I never claimed a thing about WHS's athletic prowess.  But we've lost a lot of kids the last several years just as many many other districts have.  

However, it is sad that two of the last 9 kids my son's age that have moved were two of our good baseball players, but moved just before we had two national merit scholar award winners and three kids drafted in the MLB and win district 4-6A(Martin, Lamar, Arlington) all in one month last year.  Their parents moved to guarantee their child a winning HS career at successful programs at the time...but causing them from being a part of something very special by turning their own childhood program around with the kids they grew up with.  What a Sad outcome and lesson their parents taught them.

And I'm not convinced the coaches are doing the recruiting but the boosters and associates surely are. 

And some families..from coast to coast are moving, some just acquire a mailing address or temporary residence.  But I'm not naive to think academics have a thing to do with it.  If it did Paschal would be competitive in everything.  

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

First off...we're not talking of changing districts for the sake of changing districts.  We're talking about transferring for athletic purposes.  It's not permitted. 

I know

Second..an athlete can't live in one district..and attend another.  He/she must establish residency. And that's where a lot of the cheating is happening and where a lot of people have gotten caught.

I won't argue this point because I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if the district accepts transfers then an athlete can live in one district and attend another.   It's been a while since I was in high school, but two of my friends lived in another district but attended my high school.  More recently (less than 10 years ago) I know of a student who lived in Coppell and attended school (and played sports) in Carrollton-Farmers Branch

Buying second homes, renting cheap homes from local boosters on the cheap for the mailing address, faking divorces to justify to the new DEC as to why their child needs to move to the new district...and on and on and on.

Completely agree.  These type of things should not be allowed.

Third... Your shot at humor and Weatherford prowess and all... I never claimed a thing about WHS's athletic prowess.  But we've lost a lot of kids the last several years just as many many other districts have.  

Really just saying that I don't think Brock and Aledo are "siphoning" kids from Weatherford.  Does each school have kids who used to attend Weatherford?  I'm sure they do, but I have a hard time believing the numbers are very high. 

However, it is sad that two of the last 9 kids my son's age that have moved were two of our good baseball players, but moved just before we had two national merit scholar award winners and three kids drafted in the MLB and win district 4-6A(Martin, Lamar, Arlington) all in one month last year.  Their parents moved to guarantee their child a winning HS career at successful programs at the time...but causing them from being a part of something very special by turning their own childhood program around with the kids they grew up with.  What a Sad outcome and lesson their parents taught them.

Couldn't agree more.  I've experienced the same thing in trying to form a baseball team with my son's classmates.  My thought is to let them play together not only for the fun, comradery, etc., but also to develop as a team to be successful in high school.  Most parents have no desire to do this.  They want their kid on the best select team when in reality, the team I could put together with neighborhood kids would be a better team.

And I'm not convinced the coaches are doing the recruiting but the boosters and associates surely are. 

And some families..from coast to coast are moving, some just acquire a mailing address or temporary residence.  But I'm not naive to think academics have a thing to do with it.  If it did Paschal would be competitive in everything.  

Rick

I think we mostly agree with one another.

33 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Where did you get the idea that the number is high?  From the quote below...that you agreed with.  And what would a high number be? If Brock's varsity football team had 5 kids who went to Weatherford schools until middle school or high school I would say that would be a significant number.  Siblings would count as one because you're obviously not going to move one kid without moving the other(s). 

Rick

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:34 PM, DT 90 said:

Brock siphons kids from Weatherford.  

I would also say that this is really not about Brock/Aledo/Weatherford.  I only responded about these schools because they were mentioned in the quote from DT90. 

43 minutes ago, NT93 said:

From the quote below...that you agreed with

He said kids and never suggested a number.  

43 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I would also say that this is really not about Brock/Aledo/Weatherford.  I only responded about these schools because they were mentioned in the quote from DT90. 

Correct.  That's why Southlake, Allen and others have been mentioned in the thread.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

Shout out to my alma mater Bishop Lynch State Champions 2016!  

March Friars March down the field, March Friars march men of steel...Black and White and for Victory evermore!

Now I want a bowl game win and a superbowl!  It's wishing on a star season, right!

GMG

14 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

He said kids and never suggested a number.  

Correct.  That's why Southlake, Allen and others have been mentioned in the thread.

Rick

I take the use of the word "siphoned" to mean a fairly significant amount...definitely more than just a couple of kids.