From Alabama's bench to UNT's focal point:

gangrene

We have no idea what we have at QB until one of them gets freight trained.  How he responds after that will tell us what we got.

This was what I loved about Dickey...and what bothered me about him at the same time.

In week one we knew we had a tuff sumbitch taking snaps cause Dickey beat the shit out him in spring and fall.  Problem was, it cost us in 2002.  

All in all...I think we should go back to it for spring training.  Come fall there will be no question of toughness.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Last time we had SMU at Apogee, we trotted out arguably one of the worst QBs we've had come through here, and he looked like Aaron Rodgers.  
I would dare say that even the first 2,3,4 quarters will tell you everything you need to know about Morris.  If we come out of OOC at 3-1 or 2-2 and Morris is around 1000yds already, then we can say we should expect big things during conference play.

I can agree with this, although I don't recall QB play against SMU at Apogee being good. At all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

But he's absolutely right.  And if you've ever played the game you know he is.

Rick

Sure. But 1 1st quarter hit will not define a season. Unless of course it's a season ending kind of hit. I played slot in HS. I hated getting hit. Never stopped me from running my routes and unfortunately it never stopped me from getting hit by ppl much bigger than myself. Just cause 1 doesn't like unseen contact doesn't mean someone is necessarily afraid of it or it doesn't mean it will change their game. 

13 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sure. But 1 1st quarter hit will not define a season. Unless of course it's a season ending kind of hit. I played slot in HS. I hated getting hit. Never stopped me from running my routes and unfortunately it never stopped me from getting hit by ppl much bigger than myself. Just cause 1 doesn't like unseen contact doesn't mean someone is necessarily afraid of it or it doesn't mean it will change their game. 

And it doesn't mean it won't.

See Chad...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I once had a teammate who had tremendous moves and bursts of speed. When asked about his skills, he said "I don't like to get hit...it hurts."

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

@UNT90 is that rare breed that leaves everything he says in question in some sort or some way so no matter what happens he can come and say, "see." 

Ya, that's me. Lol.

You really need to make up your mind on who I am. In another thread you accuse me of "posting so much it has to be true."

Pick a narrative.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

17 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

I once had a teammate who had tremendous moves and bursts of speed. When asked about his skills, he said "I don't like to get hit...it hurts."

Not liking getting hit and shying away from contact are two totally different things. 

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

haha, same difference. The polar opposites make them similarities, in some way. 

I am everything to everybody, so your kinda right...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

One thing we will know for sure, is that if Morris can read a defense at the LOS, can just throw a ball with any zip on it, with any hint of accuracy, and with any hint of being catchable, he will be LIGHT YEARS ahead of the four spares we have rolled out since 2014. Greer wasn't a FBS QB, anywhere, period, nor was McNulty. Neither of those guys would have been in the top 4 of another G5 program's depth chart anywhere else. And both Dajon Williams and Demarcus Smith couldn't get their acts together enough to be able to play at the level needed for a FBS program, for a variety of reasons.

What I have liked about Littrell so far is that he IMMEDIATELY upgraded our QB situation...by getting rid of those guys who played here before. Greer was packaged as a FBS QB, but he was severely underprepared for this level. Smith didn't put in enough time at practice or watching film to get better, nor was he someone that could be counted on academically. Morris might suck, as may Shanbour, or Fine...but they won't be worse than what we rolled out last year.

But FFR is right--without getting popped by a real FBS starting defense, you just don't know what you have in your QB. Dickey certainly over did it, ruining Meager back in 2005 was the worst example of this because he could have been a good QB with better coaching. But his QBs, especially Hall and Andrew Smith, were freaking tough as nails. When Dodge got here and allowed his QBs to be untouched by his really woeful defenses at practice, that led to Giovanni Vizza getting beaten to a pulp, both mentally and physically, by opposing defenses until he ran off and quit football after just two years of college ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For the record, I think that Morris will be better than what we had, but the question is how much? I find predictions of top three QB in CUSA laughable. Not because it couldn't happen, but because the people saying it have zero knowledge base for making the statement. 

09/03/16.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

No one how he will respond the first time an FBS 310 pound DT puts him on his back. 

No one.

I have hope, but until I see how he responds to heavy physical contact, I refuse to get excited.

Are you saying injury risk or pulling a Blaine Gabbert?

Yeah, no way to know about injury risk.

Not wanting to get hit? You're right, can't know 100% either. But he works the pocket well, keeps his eyes downfield, throws the ball away when the pocket collapses. There's evidence he's not going to Gabbert completely.

Additionally, the wide offensive line splits, two-back sets, and air raid routes are designed to reduce exposure to any hits, really. QBs were releasing the ball 2 to 3 seconds after the snap.

• Upvote 1