• I like him a lot
    • I think he's worth considering
    • I wouldn't want him here
    • Not sure

Wondering what this is all about? - READ THIS

AP615139834922.jpg

Dana Ford

Current job: Head coach at Tennessee State

Current contract situation:  Base salary of $190,000, contract duration unclear (please respond with a link if you can find anything) 

Experience:  Two years as a head coach, both D1 at Tennessee State. Five years as a D1 assistant (Tennessee State, Wichita State, and Illinois State) and one year as a JUCO assistant. 

Best year as a head coach: 2015-16. 20-11 overall record, 11-5 in conference. Lost in the OVC tournament quarterfinals by two points to eventual champs Austin Peay. Lost in double overtime of their first CIT game against Ball State. Sadly, even in his best year, Ford got consecutively smacked around by both Peay-ness and BallS(tate). But, he did win the OVC Coach of the Year award

Worst year as a head coach: 2014-15. 5-26 overall record, 2-14 in conference. Dead last in the OVC, didn't qualify for the conference tournament. 

What makes him worth considering?  Tennessee State has 39 seasons in Division 1, three 20 win seasons in their history. Ford has one of them in his 2nd year. Served as an assistant under Tim Jankovich at Illinois State for a year, so we may be able to get insight/reference from a former UNT head coach in making the evaluation. 

Whycome would he'd suck real bad?  Youngest head coach in D1 basketball. Lost 26 games in a single season, though that happened in his first year, taking over a 25 loss team, and Tennessee State only has 3 winning seasons in the last 20 years, with one of them coming under Ford this past season. 

Additional comments:  He's young, but he's obviously been well mentored by wise, experienced guys. Evidence: he used to use a four-in-hand knot as a college student/graduate assistant, but someone taught him that a grown man uses a windsor or half-windsor knot instead. His open collar and pocket square game is also very strong. Man fashion arguably shows us he's committed to the fundamentals and he's wise beyond his years. Also, his youth makes him the only active head coach who can put on a uniform and represent well in a slam dunk contest. If you REALLY like him, someone is selling a signed Dana Ford business card on eBay for $29.99 (free shipping!).  

13 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

The lesson is, don't skim. I'm sneaking jokes in that require full attention. 

The text message supplements are helpful as well. You should charge insider fees ala ESPN.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I have a sinking feeling all of your research will be for not.

If UNT were smart, they would include you on a search committee.

They aren't, so they won't.

To your first sentence... There's a reason I stopped putting together these capsules yesterday. They take a long time, and it seems pointless right now. I hope I get a reason to get back to it. Lots of interesting people out there that aren't necessarily out of our reach. 

To your second sentence... There's nothing I can offer that a good grasp of Google and an analytical approach to modern college basketball history can't give anyone else. Even if I had some special wisdom or insight about basketball (I do not), or some essential talent I could offer... Let me give you a real quick breakdown of how that proposal would go:

"Hey, I think I'd like to offer an unorthodox suggestion for the search committee... It's some random jackass that's spent the past 12 years posting stuff on the internet. You may remember him from when he wore that sillyass spandex suit at the Sun Belt Tournament 6 years ago. You may also remember him from the website he used to co-run that was largely devoted to mocking the failures of Todd Dodge and treating Rick Villarreal as a supermodel as a way of satirizing a group of lecherous UNT grads that sexualized our female student-athletes.

Yes, the same website with the regular feature about notable sports rapists.

Yes, he is the same guy who made a big public show about sending Rick a gift card for a sandwich and buying him a box of Lego. 

No, he's not a letterman, or a basketball coach, or even a particularly prominent alum. 

No, this wouldn't be an honorary appointment for a big donation or a history of heavy financial support. He actually has some pretty unorthodox opinions about college sports as a charitable endeavor, and he pretty much just gives what he has to in order to buy certain tickets.

No, actually, he hasn't shown up for a basketball game for 2 or 3 years. 

Yes, absolutely I will 'quit being a moron and just call Johnny Quinn already'."

And... *Scene*

Thanks for the kind words, though. 

• 11 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 10:51 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'd take him. Not sure what TB is making but I'm assuming it would be a raise for him.

Also, there is some talent here in the Freshman that coaches may like as well.

Tony is making around 400k... we would be able to comfortably double his salary. 

TSU went 17-13 this season and lost in the first round of their conference tournament. 

On 3/4/2017 at 3:31 PM, MeanGreen13 said:

Tony is making around 400k... we would be able to comfortably double his salary. 

TSU went 17-13 this season and lost in the first round of their conference tournament. 

Would be a nice pay bump, and could also cover the buyout if he has one. 

If no buyout, would and could help even lead to us bringing in some great assistant coaches or increasing the budget as well.