UA football: UTSA will offer stern early test

Harry

When Arizona scheduled three games with UTSA a few years ago, the Wildcats probably didn’t sign up for this big of a challenge.

Seriously.

This season will be just the fourth in UTSA football history, but the Roadrunners have already positioned themselves as a power in Conference USA.

Larry Coker’s team has won 15 games over the past two seasons and has scheduled tough non-conference games against the UA and Oklahoma State.

Yet, here are the Roadrunners — very possibly Arizona’s toughest early season test — in year four with 10 returning starters on defense and nine on offense. The Roadrunners traveled to Tucson last season and lost 38-13. This year, Coker and UTSA get the Wildcats in San Antonio and it could be a different story.

Read more: http://azstarnet.com/sports/football/college/wildcats/ua-football-utsa-will-offer-stern-early-test/article_2ffc8a9e-9373-510f-96d7-e1b9b9ccd3f1.html

I just find the teams, games and storylines in C-USA more compelling. No offense to the Belt, but I had little interest in what was going on with the other teams in that league.

I find the UTSA story the most interesting in C-USA this coming season. They have built everything to this year. They redshirted their entire initial class and now those guys are all 5th year seniors. Their situation as a start-up program allowed them to do that. The other side of the coin is, is that next year they will be demolished by graduation which sort of adds to the drama of how this year plays out. I think they have a chance to do some damage in non conference and that helps the entire league in terms of credibility.

I also like the coach at UTEP and am interested to see how he fares this season.

I just find the teams, games and storylines in C-USA more compelling. No offense to the Belt, but I had little interest in what was going on with the other teams in that league.

I find the UTSA story the most interesting in C-USA this coming season. They have built everything to this year. They redshirted their entire initial class and now those guys are all 5th year seniors. Their situation as a start-up program allowed them to do that. The other side of the coin is, is that next year they will be demolished by graduation which sort of adds to the drama of how this year plays out. I think they have a chance to do some damage in non conference and that helps the entire league in terms of credibility.

I also like the coach at UTEP and am interested to see how he fares this season.

As I recall, they will lose 33 or 34 seniors. With the rule of only 25 scholarships per class, will they be 9 down next year?

Or will they get a "you are in a new large market and we want you to be good" exemption from the NCAA?

• Downvote 1