'15 WR Akile Davis

DeSoto wide receiver. About 6'2" 185 lbs. Had 34 catches for 395 yards and 6 receiving touchdowns as a junior. Also holds an Indiana offer.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1900118

Note - I believe DeSoto has all of their players hudl videos set to private. Never been able to watch film of those guys myself

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Akile-Davis-153577

http://247sports.com/Player/Akile-Davis-37132

http://oklahomastate.scout.com/a.z?s=181&p=8&c=1&nid=7248399

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/182436/akile-davis

Here's an article by the Brookster.

http://foxs.pt/OvgcI1

He mentions what I talked a little about when I did a look ahead to this class. With our receiver and running back class we hauled in for 2014, we don't have a dire need for either position in this class. Because of that, we can focus in on a few of our top targets and put the full court press on them.

• 1 month later...

Hitler played high school football? But whatever man, I don't care. Dude is a winner and he needs to be coming to North Texas.

I'm not sure, but I think you're missing a very valid lesson we had to learn the hard way.

Todge's first classes were made up almost entirely of state champs.

There is definitely value in having kids that come from a winning culture, but we also learned from the bowl era that there is something to be said about kids that come in with an extra chip on their shoulder; kids that come from adversity. I think our best teams are the ones that have a balance.

Edited by greenminer

I'm not sure, but I think you're missing a very valid lesson we had to learn the hard way.

Todge's first classes were made up almost entirely of state champs.

There is definitely value in having kids that come from a winning culture, but we also learned from the bowl era that there is something to be said about kids that come in with an extra chip on their shoulder; kids that come from adversity. I think our best teams are the ones that have a balance.

To add to that, players from top programs have also been exposed to top-notch weight programs and coaching. Some programs over here are as close to college level from a weight training and even coaching standpoint.

The state of Texas is notorious nationwide for being a state where because of this emphasis on football, these kids are finished products by the time they get to college. Some people even believe that this is a major factor in the downfall of the Texas Longhorn program lately. They get these kids who have already plateaud before they get to college.

While I don't believe this to be true for the whole state of Texas, I do believe it to be partially true with the top programs over here. I played for one, and in my two years of varsity football I played with 18 guys who ended up signing D1 scholarships. Those guys either cracked the depth chart early on after arriving at their college or really never ended up doing so.

These schools like Allen and Southlake Carroll will absolutely maximize every bit of potential out of their players. Not to say they can't hit growth spurts in college or anything like that, but these kids from the top programs are as close to finished products as it comes. A lot of times it is a case of "what you see is what you get."

That being said, I still say recruit the heck out of DeSoto.

Edited by BillySee58

I see what you're saying. But still, recruit this guy. He looks like he has length and speed. At this point and time we don't really need speed at this position, but we need length at the WR position pretty bad. I know North Texas has offered about 6 or 7 WR's and the majority of them have length. But this guy is not a "superstar" type of player that would come in with a sense of entitlement as you were saying that some players come in with. For goodness sake he was the 3rd leading receiver on his high school team with only 400 yards. I like his length and the fact that he is from a winning high school program. I like what he has to offer and I think he could flourish at North Texas.

I see what you're saying. But still, recruit this guy. He looks like he has length and speed. At this point and time we don't really need speed at this position, but we need length at the WR position pretty bad. I know North Texas has offered about 6 or 7 WR's and the majority of them have length. But this guy is not a "superstar" type of player that would come in with a sense of entitlement as you were saying that some players come in with. For goodness sake he was the 3rd leading receiver on his high school team with only 400 yards. I like his length and the fact that he is from a winning high school program. I like what he has to offer and I think he could flourish at North Texas.

Yes, we need more length on the outside, but we do need speed as well. We need guys who can win one on one matchups on the outside. Speed and length definitely help there.

Who said anything about a sense of entitlement?

• 2 months later...