C-USA bowl slots filling up quickly

Harry

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Last year, Conference USA couldn't fill its bowl dance card, as only five teams were eligible.

This year, the league's cup could runneth over.

According to conference officials, C-USA is guaranteed six bowl positions: Liberty (Memphis), Beef 'O' Brady's (St. Petersburg), Heart of Dallas Bowl, Military Bowl (Annapolis, Md.), New Orleans and Hawaii. The Liberty would get the top pick, usually the league champ.

Four C-USA teams have qualified by virtue of winning six games: East Division leader East Carolina (6-2, 4-1) and West Division co-leaders North Texas, Rice and Tulane (all 6-3, 4-1). Two teams are heavy favorites to join the list today - Marshall (5-3, 3-1) and Middle Tennessee (5-4, 3-2). The Thundering Herd takes on Alabama-Birmingham (2-6, 1-3), while the Blue Raiders play fluffy Florida International (1-7, 1-3).

That's six teams, which seemed to be a maximum a few weeks ago. But more teams can hit the magic six wins.

Florida Atlantic (3-6, 2-4) is in amazingly good shape after shocking Tulane. The Owls may have the easiest schedule left in America - Southern Mississippi (0-8, 0-4), New Mexico State and FIU.

Louisiana Tech (3-5, 2-2) has a chance, but it's not easy. It plays Southern Miss and struggling Tulsa (2-6, 1-3) at home, but Rice and Texas-San Antonio (4-5, 3-2) on the road.

As a reclassifying member, UTSA is not eligible for a bowl this year, except for this loophole: If the FBS cannot produce 70 bowl-eligible teams, the reclassifying schools are granted a chance to fill a vacancy.

Read more: http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/201311080140

Yes this is dated but still gives you an idea of whose eligible or close. This also shows the bowl advantage of CUSA over the Belt.

I completely understand I just like saying:

We are 7-3 and West Division leaders!

It also helps me realize I am a wake and I am not living in a dream.