Enjoying the Rice win in its fullest

untjim1995

There have been few times in my life as a fan where I have gotten to enjoy some major revenge in a win. I remember feeling this way for the first time when the Cowboys beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship game in 1992, exacting revenge for the Dwight Clark catch back in 1981. I felt that way when the Rangers finally ebat the Yankees in the ALCS in 2010 to finally get past them and make the World Series. And I felt that way back in 2011 when the Mavs finally beat the Lakers in a playoff series, having watched LA run the Mavs into the ground all those times during the 80s on their way to titles. That sweep was so awesome, especially when LA quit in that last game. And, of course, the Mavs went on to win it all, which completed the deal.

But I never had anything like this to enjoy for my alma mater, UNT. Sure, I've witnessed a lot of beatings--and there are many teams that I feel we owe a huge butt-kicking back to if/when we play them. ANd I know that opening at Texas gives us another opportunity to right the wrong of 1988 in Austin, which was just pathetic.

But this Rice game represented, for me, the first time that I have enjoyed the fruits of revenge over an opponent. I've posted before on this, but I truly believe that losing at Rice in 2008 77-20, when we could have easily lost by 80+ if Rice hadn't called the dogs off of Dodge's 1-11 team, was our low point as a FBS member since 1995. Rice's team was really good that year, but there is no conceivable way that freaking Rice should have beaten us in that manner. At that point, I was convinced we had the second worst program in America, only enjoying Western Kentucky's status as the worst team by being Dodge's biatch for 3 straight years. Yes, we played Rice to a close game in Fouts two years later (typical of Dodge's later teams, they choked at the end), but the amazing embarrassment and sting from that 77-20 loss could always be felt when I saw Rice beat us out for a recruit or get someone that we couldn't even touch because we were so low on the Texas totem pole. Not kids that chose TCU or Baylor or UH or SMU or Tech over us bothered me like it did when they chose...Rice, freaking mathlete Rice, freaking always in last place in the SWC, Rice. I mean if we couldn't even compete with Rice, then why were we really wasting our time at this level.

All of that is now over--we pulverized them in a way that was a signal to all these kids in Texas that aren't Big XII or SEC material but can play college football at a strong level at schools like those in the AAC, CUSA, or the SBC. We have a great coach who specializes in rebuilding--and is now showing everyone that he has damn near accomplished a full turnaround in 2.5 years. We have a defense that is gaining a lot of notoriety, all during a time when offenses control college football and tackling is the worst we have seen in maybe forever. Those Mathletes are still a good team, they'll end up bowling at the end of the year, for sure. But we beat their ass by just brutally hitting their entire team ALL GAME LONG!! Revenge tastes very good, a lot like my grandma's Italian RICE...

See you guys in Houston next year, Owls...you've been officially warned. Prepare yourselves.

• Upvote 1