MGB: Desmon White talks about commitment to UNT

Brett Vito

Tell him he can compete at QB. TCU wont let him. That could seal the deal.

Is this your idea of bait and switch or do you really think the coaching staff would lead him down this path? Thought in an earlier post you were critical of some of this kid's "abilities" due to his size.

If UNT recruits him as a QB, great, but otherwise I am not in favor of using a big lie to land any recruit. Lies usually have a way of coming back to haunt one.

Do you think he could be a D1 starting QB and perhaps take the job away from our heir apparent? Just asking.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Is this your idea of bait and switch or do you really think the coaching staff would lead him down this path? Thought in an earlier post you were critical of some of this kid's "abilities" due to his size.

If UNT recruits him as a QB, great, but otherwise I am not in favor of using a big lie to land any recruit. Lies usually have a way of coming back to haunt one.

Do you think he could be a D1 starting QB and perhaps take the job away from our heir apparent? Just asking.

Good lord.

I always said I liked him as a recruit, was just trying to find out I exactly how big he really is. Conversations with someone very familiar with him have me even more excited about him as a recruit.

No, you don't lie to the kid. You give him the opportunity to compete at QB. If he can play at this level, fine. If not, he can always be moved to a different position.

Cooper Jones. Ever heard of him?

• Upvote 2

You tell him your recruiting him as a playmaker bc that's what he is. Sell him on the fact that he will touch the ball all over the field and at multiple positions. TCU has done quite well at player transformations so that's in their favor. Winning right now is in our favor.

Sounds like the appropriate approach to me. I just don't like trying to mislead these recruits. I think it absolutely sends the wrong message and could very well come back to haunt the program. If you lose a recruit by telling them the full truth, well, so be it. Win with integrity...can be done...starting with the recruiting process.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the appropriate approach to me. I just don't like trying to mislead these recruits. I think it absolutely sends the wrong message and could very well come back to haunt the program. If you lose a recruit by telling them the full truth, well, so be it. Win with integrity...can be done...starting with the recruiting process.

90 isn't saying mislead or lie to him but actually offer him the chance to try and make it as a QB. If/when that doesn't work, move him.

• Upvote 1

High risk, high reward recruit.

I like it,

Where will he be moved? A little small to play QB, don't you think?

As I mentioned earlier, has slot receiver written all over him but I'm sure he's being recruited as an ATH. I'm glad to see a kid who produced at the highest level of high school being rewarded. Tightening the DeSoto pipeline doesn't hurt. Desmon, welcome to the family!

The kid can flat out play. He will definitely contribute when Brelan is gone.

Ja'mel Branch was no bigger than this kid. Ask OU how good he was for us. He's not playing D-line. Who cares how big a slot receiver is?

I argued that he isn't really that big a risk. His size is a hindrance, but for what we are going to ask from him I don't think it will pose much of a problem.

If we had him at qb it would be a risk, or if we had him at running back his size would make it very difficult to run in between the tackles. But his one job is to be dangerous when he's in the open field and our coaches are going to do what they can to get him the ball in the open field a few times a game. Mainly on returns at least to start out his career.

You tell him your recruiting him as a playmaker bc that's what he is. Sell him on the fact that he will touch the ball all over the field and at multiple positions. TCU has done quite well at player transformations so that's in their favor. Winning right now is in our favor.

90 isn't saying mislead or lie to him but actually offer him the chance to try and make it as a QB. If/when that doesn't work, move him.

Yep...sounds like a kid thought of as being recruited for a QB position.

I agree that UNT90 was not indicating that UNT should lie to the kid, but kids are lied to all the time during the recruiting process, and I think that is something that should not ever happen. Lose one to the truth, so be it. Getting an unhappy one because he was lied to is not such a good thing. Just my opinion.

Lots here, myself included, think this kid, playing D1 ball, has a bright future....except most likely NOT at QB. I think he should be told so and recruited for the position the staff feels he will play in college. I am guessing the kid already knows that QB is not in his future, but you never know it seems. I'll leave it to the coaches and the kid...here's hoping he makes the right decision for himself...and that would, of course, be....NORTH TEXAS.

I'm sure the kid knows there are not many 5'8" QBs out there. But, the kid has excelled at QB at the highest level of Texas High School football. And excelled is an understatement.

Our QB position will be wide open next year. More competition is always a plus. I would hope we would bring him in here and let him compete. There is the possibility of a redshirt, so that gives you a full year to look at him at that position and see if he can make it. If not, switch him over the fall before his redshirt freshman year.

Also, Brett Vito, can you call this kid? See if he is still a solid commit to us?

• Upvote 1

I'm sure the kid knows there are not many 5'8" QBs out there. But, the kid has excelled at QB at the highest level of Texas High School football. And excelled is an understatement.

Our QB position will be wide open next year. More competition is always a plus. I would hope we would bring him in here and let him compete. There is the possibility of a redshirt, so that gives you a full year to look at him at that position and see if he can make it. If not, switch him over the fall before his redshirt freshman year.

Also, Brett Vito, can you call this kid? See if he is still a solid commit to us?

Sounds like he is only a soft verbal.

• Upvote 1

Here's a plan B. Nikia Cathey, a kid out of Memphis.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Nikia-Cathey-139705

I really wish Mac would go after him. I really think we could out recruit Austin Peay (FCS), MUTS, South Alabama, and Northern Illinois for him.

I've said it a couple times before, but I wish we would push Memphis more. It's closer than many realize and there are some good players who either don't quite get offered by SEC schools or do but get the offered pulled after the school fills up on recruits. Cathey was a former Miss St commit, not exactly sure what happened there.

For reference, the schools Cathey is considering are 209 miles (Austin Peay), 245 (MUTS), 387 (USA), and 564 (NIU). Denton is only 489 but is also the fastest drive. I've made the drive in 7 hours by going about 5 over the whole ride. We also play a lot of schools that are pretty close to Memphis, so his family and friends could watch him play plenty.

Whether you think recruiting Memphis is a good idea or not, do yourself a favor and watch Cathey's highlights.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1CR14OlhpE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3De1CR14OlhpE

Here's a plan B. Nikia Cathey, a kid out of Memphis.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Nikia-Cathey-139705

I really wish Mac would go after him. I really think we could out recruit Austin Peay (FCS), MUTS, South Alabama, and Northern Illinois for him.

I've said it a couple times before, but I wish we would push Memphis more. It's closer than many realize and there are some good players who either don't quite get offered by SEC schools or do but get the offered pulled after the school fills up on recruits. Cathey was a former Miss St commit, not exactly sure what happened there.

For reference, the schools Cathey is considering are 209 miles (Austin Peay), 245 (MUTS), 387 (USA), and 564 (NIU). Denton is only 489 but is also the fastest drive. I've made the drive in 7 hours by going about 5 over the whole ride. We also play a lot of schools that are pretty close to Memphis, so his family and friends could watch him play plenty.

Whether you think recruiting Memphis is a good idea or not, do yourself a favor and watch Cathey's highlights.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e1CR14OlhpE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3De1CR14OlhpE

With the talent that is located here in Texas I just don't think it's worth it to venture that far out of state. We tried to recruit Louisiana for a couple years, we ended up with way more defeats than victories. In the end it wasn't worth the time, effort, budget to go there. Let's focus on DFW, Houston, and East Texas first.

Sounds like Greendylan was on the money...unfortunately. I would rather have a young man here that wants to be here over someone that is committed while hoping for something else. See ya Desmon. Hope the decision was the right one for you. I would rather find out now than at the last minute.

“The team and the coaches made a difference and I like the school a lot,” White said. “It’s a good fit. They took a chance on me and looked past my size.”

Guess it wasn't a great fit.

Edited by UNTLifer

With the talent that is located here in Texas I just don't think it's worth it to venture that far out of state. We tried to recruit Louisiana for a couple years, we ended up with way more defeats than victories. In the end it wasn't worth the time, effort, budget to go there. Let's focus on DFW, Houston, and East Texas first.

I agree, but I'm not talking about putting all our resources there. Just recruiting a few guys a class like Cathey, who I really think could be a good Brelan replacement like we thought White might be.

I agree, but I'm not talking about putting all our resources there. Just recruiting a few guys a class like Cathey, who I really think could be a good Brelan replacement like we thought White might be.

Mac isn't going out that far unless it is a CC. He feels burned on the Gaines-Louisiana situation and isn't going to repeat that situation this close to it occurring.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Desmond,

Look at the photos of a 2/3s empty Amon Carter Stadium announced as 41k. Do you really want to go to a program that lies to you constantly?

Look at the QBs already committed to TCU and all those stars by their name. Do you really think that coaching staff will give you any opportunity to compete at QB?

I know you want to play in the Big 12, but do you want to lose? TCU will most likely be 3-9 when this season is over. The only thing worse than losing is watching your team lose without getting on the field.

We are starting to win. We will have open competition at the QB position in your Freshman year without a bunch of 4 star recruits and the politics that come with them. We will let you compete at QB and slot receiver. Will TCU?

Think about how much playing time you want and how that weighs against how much you want to play for a lower tier Big 12 team.

We were the 1st to believe in you.

Just think about that.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2