North Texas looks to take flight in new C-USA

Harry

IRVING, Texas -- Of the eight schools joining Conference USA, perhaps none is more excited than North Texas.

"It's a tremendous opportunity," coach Dan McCarney said during Wednesday's C-USA Media Day. "When you sit there and talk about eight national television games for North Texas, six bowl opportunities from Hawaii to New Orleans...

"I know this much, there's all types of schools in Division I that would like to be in our shoes."

UNT begins its first season in C-USA along with returning member FIU, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, UTSA and returning member Charlotte. Old Dominion will begin C-USA play in football in 2014 and Charlotte in 2015.

They join holdovers East Carolina, Marshall, Rice, Southern Miss, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB and UTEP for a 14-team league in 2013.

North Texas received a boost with the opening of sparkling Apogee Stadium in 2011. The Mean Green were 4-8 in their last season in the Sun Belt, but C-USA's higher profile should help UNT better exploit the advantages it already has.

"We didn't get this opportunity because of recent success in football," McCarney said. "It's because of potential, location, leadership on our campus, that's why we got this opportunity."

North Texas will kick off its first year in C-USA with its first home opener in 12 years on Aug. 31 against Idaho. The Mean Green are also celebrating the 100th anniversary of the football program.

"North Texas has been getting on a bus or a plane every year to start a season," McCarney said. "Rick Villarreal, my AD, and I worked together on this. I wanted a home opener for our fans. It's our 100-year celebration. We're honoring our all-century team at North Texas. We've got a home opener.

"Now one small detail: Go win a football game."

Read more: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/collegefootball/conference-usa/story/North-Texas-looks-to-take-flight-in-new-?blockID=923191&feedID=3799