CUSA West Division

mdmeangreen

Would absolutely LOVE this new CUSA West Division:

West: Alabama-Birmingham, Southern Mississippi, Louisiana Tech, Rice, North Texas, Texas-El Paso, Texas-San Antonio.

Does anyone know if the divisions are set for the 2014-2015 season?

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/odu-conference-usa-will-have-high-profile-new-national-fox-sports-network

• Upvote 1

That's what it looks like although UAB really, really wants to be in the East.

I assume you are speaking to the fact that UAB wants to be in the east for basketball reasons, being as the east appears to be the more developed basketball division.

We've had a few blazer fans show up over here; would be interested in what they have to say on this. I'm with MD - would like having UAB in the west with us.

One thing I have heard is that North Texas and UTSA are travel partners in basketball meaning that we would play in San Antonio and they would play in Denton for mens and womens basketball.

"we would play in San Antonio and they would play in Denton for mens and womens basketball."

Does UTSA even have a basketball arena, or will they rent the Spurs' facility?

1. Convocation Center, constructed 1975

260px-UTSA_Main_Building.jpghomecoming06.jpg

The Convocation Center

The arena has a seating capacity of 4,496 for basketball and volleyball. Seating and playing surfaces are sufficient for current athletic competition crowds and team practices. This multi-use facility also serves as an indoor practice facility for all of UTSA's sports teams as well as many campus events including academic classes, graduation events, concerts and career fairs. The playing surface is varnished maple hardwood.

This facility houses offices for Women's Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Men and Women's Track and Field coaches, assistant coaches for Men's Basketball, the Head Trainer and assistant Trainers. Many "offices" in the Convocation Center are converted storage rooms; one is a converted restroom. In some cases, offices for coaches within a particular sport are located in separate areas creating inefficiencies in daily operations.

The Center's lower levels include locker facilities for the Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball Teams, as well as an athletic training room. The Women's Basketball Locker Room and Training Room are only accessible by descending stairs, which is an ADA problem as well as logistical problem for injured student-athletes seeking treatment in the training room. The training room is too small for the number of student-athletes and the limited space precludes private areas for physical examinations and physician consultation.

The upper level includes two practice basketball courts and unsightly, wire-mesh storage cages. The current Ticket Office is in a metal building outside the south lobby.

Improvement needs: Locker rooms (minimum of 3 to accommodate Women's Volleyball, men's visiting team and women's visiting team), training room, permanent Ticket Office; expanded merchandise and concession stands, storage space and possibly offices.

CSA comments: The arena is a fair-to-good facility for basketball and volleyball competitions and practice. There is cooperation between teams for it is difficult at times for 3 varsity programs to practice on the same floor. The biggest conflicts occur in the fall when both basketball and volleyball programs are in season. However, the "backstage" support areas including locker rooms, offices, training room and storage are woefully inadequate. There are ADA problems in the facility, lack of adequate walkways in the seating area, and a lack of electrical power for major events. Additionally, relocation and centralization of the maximum number of Athletics staff and support systems is the preferred strategy. Vacated Convocation Center space would be utilized for additional locker room facilities. As planned, an auxiliary building on the west side of the Convocation Center should be built to house a new easily accessible training room and weight room.

Full UTSA Athletic Facility Review from Feasibility Study

The Convocation Center

The arena has a seating capacity of 4,496 for basketball and volleyball. Seating and playing surfaces are sufficient for current athletic competition crowds and team practices. This multi-use facility also serves as an indoor practice facility for all of UTSA's sports teams as well as many campus events including academic classes, graduation events, concerts and career fairs. The playing surface is varnished maple hardwood.

This facility houses offices for Women's Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Men and Women's Track and Field coaches, assistant coaches for Men's Basketball, the Head Trainer and assistant Trainers. Many "offices" in the Convocation Center are converted storage rooms; one is a converted restroom. In some cases, offices for coaches within a particular sport are located in separate areas creating inefficiencies in daily operations.

The Center's lower levels include locker facilities for the Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball Teams, as well as an athletic training room. The Women's Basketball Locker Room and Training Room are only accessible by descending stairs, which is an ADA problem as well as logistical problem for injured student-athletes seeking treatment in the training room. The training room is too small for the number of student-athletes and the limited space precludes private areas for physical examinations and physician consultation.

The upper level includes two practice basketball courts and unsightly, wire-mesh storage cages. The current Ticket Office is in a metal building outside the south lobby.

Improvement needs: Locker rooms (minimum of 3 to accommodate Women's Volleyball, men's visiting team and women's visiting team), training room, permanent Ticket Office; expanded merchandise and concession stands, storage space and possibly offices.

CSA comments: The arena is a fair-to-good facility for basketball and volleyball competitions and practice. There is cooperation between teams for it is difficult at times for 3 varsity programs to practice on the same floor. The biggest conflicts occur in the fall when both basketball and volleyball programs are in season. However, the "backstage" support areas including locker rooms, offices, training room and storage are woefully inadequate. There are ADA problems in the facility, lack of adequate walkways in the seating area, and a lack of electrical power for major events. Additionally, relocation and centralization of the maximum number of Athletics staff and support systems is the preferred strategy. Vacated Convocation Center space would be utilized for additional locker room facilities. As planned, an auxiliary building on the west side of the Convocation Center should be built to house a new easily accessible training room and weight room.

Thanks Harry, have I mentioned how much I love the Super Pit? Geez...

• Upvote 2

The Convocation Center

So...

This is basically their only athletic facility, they do and house all offices there, and they have to share it with academics?

If they ever put-recruit us, our whole AD should be fired. There is no comparison in facilities.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So...

This is basically their only athletic facility, they do and house all offices there, and they have to share it with academics?

If they ever put-recruit us, our whole AD should be fired. There is no comparison in facilities.

Big difference between Denton and San Antonio. Also,my son is UAB graduate, and according to him both the Blazers and So. Miss. are not happy about going west. Problem is that there are no large cities in west for expansion,so a move to 16 schools would probably add two more east coast probgrams.

• Upvote 1

Travel wise - being in the west sucks for me personally. USM games will be the only ones I might get to attend.

Competition wise - the idea is really growing on me. UTEP & UAB have had some awesome basketball games the last few years and we'd get to keep home & home with USM.

Football in the east will have three stadiums that don't hold over 22K (ODU, WKU, & UNCC) and 2 more teams that draw worse than us (FAU & FIU). Football should be better in the west, so we might as well compete with the best.

• Upvote 5

UAB and USM being "West" sounds weird to me, too. Do we know if NMSU and Idaho have been picked up by conferences yet? If not it would make sense (not for conference strength, but overall for the FBS and for divisional purposes) if they joined CUSA. Then UAB and USM would be in the East, which geographically at least, makes more sense.

Travel wise - being in the west sucks for me personally. USM games will be the only ones I might get to attend.

Competition wise - the idea is really growing on me. UTEP & UAB have had some awesome basketball games the last few years and we'd get to keep home & home with USM.

Football in the east will have three stadiums that don't hold over 22K (ODU, WKU, & UNCC) and 2 more teams that draw worse than us (FAU & FIU). Football should be better in the west, so we might as well compete with the best.

Interesting to hear your perspective here. Thanks for visiting us. I have to ask, has anything else come down on your new football stadium? I felt you guys got a raw deal on that from what I had heard.

UAB and USM being "West" sounds weird to me, too. Do we know if NMSU and Idaho have been picked up by conferences yet? If not it would make sense (not for conference strength, but overall for the FBS and for divisional purposes) if they joined CUSA. Then UAB and USM would be in the East, which geographically at least, makes more sense.

NMSU & Idaho to SBC Football only in 2014.

all other sports to Big Sky I believe.

Interesting to hear your perspective here. Thanks for visiting us. I have to ask, has anything else come down on your new football stadium? I felt you guys got a raw deal on that from what I had heard.

Average attendance has to go up before the BOT will even consider it. It'll still be a long shot then.

NMSU & Idaho to SBC Football only in 2014.

all other sports to Big Sky I believe.

I think Idaho's other sports will be going to the Big Sky, but NMSU's will be staying in the WAC. Looking at the future WAC lineup, the Aggies may be guaranteeing themselves basketball/baseball postseason's for awhile

• Upvote 1

How does Idaho make sense for "divisional purposes"? UAB and USM in C-USA West may not be ideal--Hattiesburg is 238 miles from Ruston and 530 miles from Denton, Birmingham 385 and 676, respectively. But Moscow, Idaho is 1549 miles from what would be their nearest opponent in El Paso. Idaho in C-USA makes no geographical sense at all.

EDIT: On re-reading your post, I wonder--are you suggesting that teams in a conference's "west" division actually need to be in the western United States? The SEC has teams from Alabama and Mississippi in its "west" division, and I don't believe they have any interest in expanding into the western half of the country to make their "west" division more western.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

Yeah,that's where I was going with it. Haha 1500 miles...that's pretty far. I just find it silly to call something "west" when it's not...or like when Boise was going to go to the Big East. It just has the appearance of being poorly planned or uneducated...

Yeah,that's where I was going with it. Haha 1500 miles...that's pretty far. I just find it silly to call something "west" when it's not...or like when Boise was going to go to the Big East. It just has the appearance of being poorly planned or uneducated...

Conferences usually use north/south and east/west divisions only in relation to their particular conference, not to the entire United States. I already mentioned the SEC...the NHL has the Chicago Blackhawks in the Western Conference, the Big 10 has Illinois and Purdue in the west division, and the NFL has the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC South.

Yeah, and the Cowboys are in the NFC East. I see the reasoning behind it, it still seems a bit off, like some better reorganization would allow sensible configurations both in conferences and in general terms. Not that we at NT should point any fingers about doing something "sensible" ;)